Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 06:47 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
News reports are saying Trump approved a strike against Iran and then reneged Thursday night... this is going down to the wire!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/w...-us-drone.html

Down to the wire? This is not reality TV or an episode of Game of Thrones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Down to the wire? This is not reality TV or an episode of Game of Thrones.
Tune in next week............

Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
By the looks of it, Trump seems to be getting the message Iran sent him. He is backing down.
Quote:
What have you heard? Last I heard he tweeted they made a big mistake. Also he said he thought Iran did not do it but a rouge shooter did. A kid with a BB gun perhaps, at 60K feet.
By saying it was a mistake, which it wasn't, he is backing down. He realized the provocation was all on his part, and he ended up in a situation where Iran called his bluff and he folded.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:08 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Calling off the airstikes is a real, common sense win for Americans. But I dont know for how long he can take this pressure.
I am glad he canceled his own mistake, but mistakes are not a "win" for anyone. In the other hand it is classic Trump to create a crises and then cancel it in order to call it a "win". Idiocy on steroids.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
They committed the first hostile act. It's on them to justify it. Flying a drone although annoying isn't considered a hostile act unless it was in their airspace. Seems to me if it was shot down in Iranian airspace, they would be proving it. If only to win the political battle.
A little history lesson. Go back to 1953 and the CIA coup of Iran:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...3-iranian-coup

Then perhaps you get a picture of why Iran hates us. Then look at how the profits were set up with the Iranian government and the west. The Shah (a monarch) was put into place in 1953 by the CIA because the Iranians wanted a larger share of the oil profits. Iran did not control its own oil industry. We did. We took their oil and decided what share they got of the profits. That changed in 1979 when the Shah who had been brutalizing his people for 26 years was overthrown because the people there finally got tired of being controlled by the US and UK and the brutal Shah. Yes they went overboard and put in religious fanatics who hated us, but that was a reaction to years of US and UK control. Can't totally blame them.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/us-wan...h-iran/253087/

So now we have a new Shah ready to step it. We are just waiting for the right time to dispose of the current regime and put our puppet back in charge. So yes I am dubious of what we are saying about the drone strike and tanker attacks when we have Bolton in the White House who has stated the only goal should be removing the government in Iran that came in to power in 1979. Having peace with Iran is not an option to Bolton.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Non stop war. It is non stop. I've grown up watching the US **** away alllllllll of its hegemony, legitimacy and trustworthiness in as short of a time as I was a kid until now. It's truly amazing. John Bolton is a metastatic cancer that has rotted country. Bolton is going to get a looooooooot of people killed and will cost us trillions upon trillions of dollars and for what? To spend it all on losing more of our hegemony?

John Bolton is probably the most dangerous man on planet Earth right now.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
A little history lesson. Go back to 1953 and the CIA coup of Iran:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...3-iranian-coup

Then perhaps you get a picture of why Iran hates us. Then look at how the profits were set up with the Iranian government and the west. The Shah (a monarch) was put into place in 1953 by the CIA because the Iranians wanted a larger share of the oil profits. Iran did not control its own oil industry. We did. We took their oil and decided what share they got of the profits. That changed in 1979 when the Shah who had been brutalizing his people for 26 years was overthrown because the people there finally got tired of being controlled by the US and UK and the brutal Shah. Yes they went overboard and put in religious fanatics who hated us, but that was a reaction to years of US and UK control. Can't totally blame them.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/us-wan...h-iran/253087/

So now we have a new Shah ready to step it. We are just waiting for the right time to dispose of the current regime and put our puppet back in charge. So yes I am dubious of what we are saying about the drone strike and tanker attacks when we have Bolton in the White House who has stated the only goal should be removing the government in Iran that came in to power in 1979. Having peace with Iran is not an option to Bolton.
This.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Non stop war. It is non stop. I've grown up watching the US **** away alllllllll of its hegemony, legitimacy and trustworthiness in as short of a time as I was a kid until now. It's truly amazing. John Bolton is a metastatic cancer that has rotted country. Bolton is going to get a looooooooot of people killed and will cost us trillions upon trillions of dollars and for what? To spend it all on losing more of our hegemony?

John Bolton is probably the most dangerous man on planet Earth right now.
And this.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have no doubt that the drone was in Iranian airspace. It is absurd to send drones everywhere and then make a fuss when they are shot down. It is just a pile of metal and plastics, there is no pilot that might get hurt. In view of the whole drone trend, I think there need to be different rules for unmanned vs manned aircraft. How about an international rule like this:
All drones have to continuously send their exact GPS position to a global website so they can be tracked by anyone. Any drone that does not, can be shot down.

If I felt threatened by a drone, I would shoot it down, no matter whether it is above my garden or above the street outside my fence.
That is some rather weak standards. Imagine if every country went to war over every perceived slight?

By your standards, every time Iran played stupid games like sending gun boats out to harass our ships in the Gulf we were justified in destroying them.

Oh wait that's right, forget international law, and rights of free passage. Iran owns the Gulf so we should capitulate and allow them to control it all.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for us letting someone else patrol the gulf and foot the bill. I would feel the same about parking a carrier in the med 365. I would much rather see our military used to protect the United States instead of everyone else.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Bolton Argues War With Iran Only Way To Avenge Americans Killed In Upcoming War With Iran

https://www.theonion.com/bolton-argu...can-1835704580

The Onion? They are very cleaver.

Bolton and Trump could make this exact ridiculous speech and Trumpers would be lock step behind them. I really believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies