Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 01:25 AM

5,772 posts, read 5,068,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why are we paying $180 million for a drone and sending it to the other side of the world?
Because we think we’re hot crap but we’re not. We think somebody died and made us king. That’s why the world hates us. We are arrogant bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,761,158 times
Quote:
Why are we paying $180 million for a drone and sending it to the other side of the world?
To protect oil interests.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:09 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
To protect oil interests.
To protect Japanese oil imports.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 AM

28,579 posts, read 18,621,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
To protect Japanese oil imports.
Which Japan does not seem concerned about.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM

29,377 posts, read 9,555,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I side with right. I can’t side with anything else.

Moreover, why shouldn’t Iran play a role in Iraq, even if it’s a role you don’t like? That’s what we do in our hemisphere except that we have less of a good reason to do it than Iran does. None of our neighbors have ever threatened us, yet we’ve made a mess of several co-hemispheric nations. Guatemala or Chile never did a thing to threaten the United States.

Iran on the other hand was invaded by Iraq. so naturally they’d support fellow Shia in Iraq. That makes sense.

And accusing the Iranians of playing games with the Saudis is pretty one sided. The Saudis are snakes.

As to Iran’s non recognition of Israel, that’s nothing to me. It’s meaningless. That’s Israel’s problem, not ours.
You beat me to it...

Thanks. I always cringe when people seem to "side" with their side regardless the right or wrong of their side. We Americans have much to be proud about, but any American who doesn't recognize where we have also done wrong makes it all the more likely that America -- our leadership -- does wrong again. Wrongs on the part of the most rich and powerful country on the planet have very serious consequences not only for America but the rest of the world, so yes, please, let's support the side of right above all else.

In typical bread-basket American fashion, our knowledge and perspective about American foreign and domestic policy, the FULL history, tends to be heavily slanted toward some comfort we've always been on the side of right, but how can anyone believe such an impossibility? How can we always feel we are innocent and only "defending ourselves" whenever other countries begin to think of us as their enemies? We dismiss all that leads up to these tensions. That or we don't know the full history, documented and/or undocumented, and as a result, we simply get behind retaliation for the latest attack on the United States. We simply get behind a POTUS who seems to relish the opportunity to mouth off like a fool.

Always it seems we ignore that we are forever "in their sand box," going back a very long time now. Somehow we expect all of the ME to forget all this history, as if they too are fools. When, for example, has any country in the ME been "in our sand box" militarily, economically or politically? Sure we've needed the oil, but have we always been in the right when it comes to how we've gone about securing it? Are we not still "paying the price" for how the ME was carved up after WWII? All perfectly done far as we are concerned? Far as the countries in the ME are concerned?

We should now somehow expect Iran to play nice? After Iran joined in the nuclear deal with us and our allies only to have Trump unilaterally pull us out of the agreement to the dismay of all others concerned? I mean what else should we expect from Iran? Amazing it hasn't got much worse already, and with Trump still in office, it's anyone's guess how much worse it will get, utterly unnecessarily!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:19 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You beat me to it...

Thanks. I always cringe when people seem to "side" with their side regardless the right or wrong of their side. We Americans have much to be proud about, but any American who doesn't recognize where we have also done wrong makes it all the more likely that America -- our leadership -- does wrong again. Wrongs on the part of the most rich and powerful country on the planet have very serious consequences not only for America but the rest of the world, so yes, please, let's support the side of right above all else.

In typical bread-basket American fashion, our knowledge and perspective about American foreign and domestic policy, the FULL history, tends to be heavily slanted toward some comfort we've always been on the side of right, but how can anyone believe such an impossibility? How can we always feel we are innocent and only "defending ourselves" whenever other countries begin to think of us as their enemies? We dismiss all that leads up to these tensions. That or we don't know the full history, documented and/or undocumented, and as a result, we simply get behind retaliation for the latest attack on the United States. We simply get behind a POTUS who seems to relish the opportunity to mouth off like a fool.

Always it seems we ignore that we are forever "in their sand box," going back a very long time now. Somehow we expect all of the ME to forget all this history, as if they too are fools. When, for example, has any country in the ME been "in our sand box" militarily, economically or politically? Sure we've needed the oil, but have we always been in the right when it comes to how we've gone about securing it? Are we not still "paying the price" for how the ME was carved up after WWII? All perfectly done far as we are concerned? Far as the countries in the ME are concerned?

We should now somehow expect Iran to play nice? After Iran joined in the nuclear deal with us and our allies only to have Trump unilaterally pull us out of the agreement to the dismay of all others concerned? I mean what else should we expect from Iran? Amazing it hasn't got much worse already, and with Trump still in office, it's anyone's guess how much worse it will get, utterly unnecessarily!
Exactly.

I mean, that poster actually tried to implicate Iran in our invasion of Iraq!!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:39 AM

1,674 posts, read 570,696 times
Quote:
Because the Iranian have the capability of closing the strait of Hormuz, that would stop the flow of 20% of oil and 1/3 gas worldwide. The spy drone was taking high definition pictures to know what Iran can do there. The geography gives Iran a great advantage. There was a warning to leave, but I guess the intelligence was worth the price.

I doubt this will lead to actual war, just more sanctions so Iranians can't buy things like medicine, parts, etc. How so? Financial institutions follow what the US says: do not take money from Iranians. There are ways to go around it, but it's increasingly difficult.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:07 AM

29,377 posts, read 9,555,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Because the Iranian have the capability of closing the strait of Hormuz, that would stop the flow of 20% of oil and 1/3 gas worldwide. The spy drone was taking high definition pictures to know what Iran can do there. The geography gives Iran a great advantage. There was a warning to leave, but I guess the intelligence was worth the price.

I doubt this will lead to actual war, just more sanctions so Iranians can't buy things like medicine, parts, etc. How so? Financial institutions follow what the US says: do not take money from Iranians. There are ways to go around it, but it's increasingly difficult.
I wouldn't be so inclined to think sanctions don't lead to war. Not like there isn't plenty of history to consider how non-military acts have lead to military acts. Hard to argue the agreement with Iran and our allies that Trump decided to renege on wasn't the better way to go all considered...

Old 06-28-2019, 11:16 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,717,235 times
Quote:

Last time I looked, the US does not border the Strait of Hormuz, so in other words, not our problem. For those countries who do border and have control over the area, it is their problem to deal with.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM

37,939 posts, read 17,761,158 times
Quote:
Because the Iranian have the capability of closing the strait of Hormuz, that would stop the flow of 20% of oil and 1/3 gas worldwide.
And bats have the capability to fly out my backside but that isn't going to happen either.

Quote:
The spy drone was taking high definition pictures to know what Iran can do there. The geography gives Iran a great advantage. There was a warning to leave, but I guess the intelligence was worth the price.

We can take high definition pictures from outer space.

from 2013
DARPA and the US Army have taken the wraps off ARGUS-IS, a 1.8-gigapixel video surveillance platform that can resolve details as small as six inches from an altitude of 20,000 feet (6km). ARGUS is by far the highest-resolution surveillance platform in the world, and probably the highest-resolution camera in the world, period.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/146909-darpa-shows-off-1-8-gigapixel-surveillance-drone-can-spot-a-terrorist-from-20000-feet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies