Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:31 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Wow, how about actually READING what I am writing?

For the 3rd damn time - you cannot ask to see a CERTIFICATE proving a dog is a service dog, nor can you bar a service dog from entering an establishment because it doesn't have one. This because ADA DOES NOT REQUIRE CERTIFICATION FOR SERVICE DOGS. ADA also allows people to train their own dogs.

Asking for a certificate is NOT the same as asking if the dog is a service dog or what the dog has been trained to do. They are three entirely different questions.

Do you possibly get it now???
Im familiar with those rules and they need to be changed. Fact is you can go online and get a little vest for your pet and take it wherever you like and nobody can legally challenge you on it. I know a few people that do that including one whose dog is poorly trained and borderline psycho. She called him her service dog and I told her no you have a dog that needs a service human!
This service animal thing has gotten wayyy out of control. Even the semi legitimate ones, like the one in this thread... are you telling me a dog is the only way to monitor this childs blood sugar? Doubtful.
Its the snowflake effect, so common today. Everyone wants to make themselves special. Look out everybody, make way for our diabetic girl and her dog... bet she gets the whole family head of line priviledges at Disneyland too.
Its not fair to people with real disabilities.
At the very least implement a certification process with trainers and require a physicians recommendation for owners like handicapped plates for the DMV.
Then they have an ID card with their picture and the dogs-(or monkey, or pony, or armadillo) picture qualifying them. It should not say what the disability is or what the dog does just that an authority recognizes their need and the monkey/parrot/moose, whatever, is qualified to do it.
Anything wrong with this?
Okay its official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Great. They still don't belong where food is being prepared and served.
In most countries assistance dogs and there owners have the same rights as everyone else under equality laws, so I was surprised to read this.

Here's the law in Britain -

Law | ADUK

Hypo Alert Dogs - How Dogs Recognise Hypoglycemia - Diabetes UK

Btw - service digs refer to dogs serving in the militaery in most countries outside the US, and the term assistance dogs is usually used outside if the US.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:40 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Im familiar with those rules and they need to be changed. Fact is you can go online and get a little vest for your pet and take it wherever you like and nobody can legally challenge you on it. I know a few people that do that including one whose dog is poorly trained and borderline psycho. She called him her service dog and I told her no you have a dog that needs a service human!
This service animal thing has gotten wayyy out of control. Even the semi legitimate ones, like the one in this thread... are you telling me a dog is the only way to monitor this childs blood sugar? Doubtful.
Its the snowflake effect, so common today. Everyone wants to make themselves special. Look out everybody, make way for our diabetic girl and her dog... bet she gets the whole family head of line priviledges at Disneyland too.
At the very least implement a certification process with trainers and require a physicians recommendation for owners like handicapped plates for the DMV.
Then they have an ID card with their picture and the dogs-(or monkey, or pony, or armadillo) picture qualifying them. It should not say what the disability is or what the dog does just that an authority recognizes their need and the monkey/parrot/moose, whatever, is qualified to do it.
Okay its official.
^^^^^^This. Well said.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. Whoopee View Post
im familiar with those rules and they need to be changed. Fact is you can go online and get a little vest for your pet and take it wherever you like and nobody can legally challenge you on it. I know a few people that do that including one whose dog is poorly trained and borderline psycho. She called him her service dog and i told her no you have a dog that needs a service human!

This service animal thing has gotten wayyy out of control. Even the semi legitimate ones, like the one in this thread... Are you telling me a dog is the only way to monitor this childs blood sugar? Doubtful.

Its the snowflake effect, so common today. Everyone wants to make themselves special. Look out everybody, make way for our diabetic girl and her dog... Bet she gets the whole family head of line priviledges at disneyland too.

At the very least implement a certification process with trainers and require a physicians recommendation for owners like handicapped plates for the dmv.

Then they have an id card with their picture and the dogs-(or monkey, or pony, or armadillo) picture qualifying them. It should not say what the disability is or what the dog does just that an authority recognizes their need and the monkey/parrot/moose, whatever, is qualified to do it.

Okay its official.
Exactly.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Seeing eye dogs are different and should be treated differently from Service dogs that are nothing but a little security blanket for Tiffany to be able to bring Snuggles anywhere she wants.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:33 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Okay its official.
Very well said.

Too many people just wont leave their homes without their pet.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Im familiar with those rules and they need to be changed. Fact is you can go online and get a little vest for your pet and take it wherever you like and nobody can legally challenge you on it. *SNIP*
Vests have nothing to do with this. The ADA allows establishments to ask two questions: 1. Is it a service animal? 2. What service does it perform? A vest is not required, nor does it create any barrier to asking those two questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Seeing eye dogs are different and should be treated differently from Service dogs that are nothing but a little security blanket for Tiffany to be able to bring Snuggles anywhere she wants.
What you describe are NOT service dogs! That also is NOT what this topic is about!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:

Another person insisting on being deliberately obtuse.

A service dog is TASK-TRAINED to assist with a SPECIFIC disabilty, that is why they are considered to be medical equipment rather than merely "providing comfort." Guide dogs ARE NOT the only type of service dog - hearing ear dogs, mobility and stability for people with balance issues, epileptic/seizure and diabetic alert dogs and, yes, dogs that are trained to assist with more severe cases of PTSD (like waking the person when they are having a bad dream or giving them something to focus on when they are having a panic attack or flashbacks), are all examples of task-trained service dogs. Dogs can also be trained to alert someone else in the vicinity if their person starts having seizures or goes into a coma. The "security" a service dog provides is the security of knowing that a disabled person can live a more independent life than they would have without one.

And as for anyone who thinks diabetes can't be considered a disability, you obviously have never witnessed someone having a diabetic coma. I did, on a YMCA campout back when I was 14. One of the boys wasn't getting up in the morning with the rest of the kids, and when one of the chaparones went to check on him, they found him in a diabetic coma. They had to take him away in an ambulance. This was in 1988, so I'm not sure if diabetic alert dogs were a "thing" back then, but an alert dog probably could have prevented that.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Another person insisting on being deliberately obtuse.

A service dog is TASK-TRAINED to assist with a SPECIFIC disabilty, that is why they are considered to be medical equipment rather than merely "providing comfort." Guide dogs ARE NOT the only type of service dog - hearing ear dogs, mobility and stability for people with balance issues, epileptic/seizure and diabetic alert dogs and, yes, dogs that are trained to assist with more severe cases of PTSD (like waking the person when they are having a bad dream or giving them something to focus on when they are having a panic attack or flashbacks), are all examples of task-trained service dogs. Dogs can also be trained to alert someone else in the vicinity if their person starts having seizures or goes into a coma. The "security" a service dog provides is the security of knowing that a disabled person can live a more independent life than they would have without one.

And as for anyone who thinks diabetes can't be considered a disability, you obviously have never witnessed someone having a diabetic coma. I did, on a YMCA campout back when I was 14. One of the boys wasn't getting up in the morning with the rest of the kids, and when one of the chaparones went to check on him, they found him in a diabetic coma. They had to take him away in an ambulance. This was in 1988, so I'm not sure if diabetic alert dogs were a "thing" back then, but an alert dog probably could have prevented that.
Diabetic service dogs are a very new thing. Their success is spotty, depending on which study you choose to use to back up your claim. The continuous glucose monitoring devises, on the other hand, have been shown to be more reliable. One of the advantages of the dogs is during sleeping hours, when both dangerous/fatal glucose levels are most likely to occur and adult caretakers are likely to be asleep, the dog will wake the adults to get help, if for no other reason than the beeping of the monitor. There is NO reason to have a diabetic dog when out and about with parents or in school, since the continuous monitor is just as good, if not better. The are helpful emotionally for the child, and I think parents are smart to get one for their home, but that is not the purpose for unfettered public service dog access.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
You are confusing actual service dogs from "therapy dogs" or "support dogs", which is really just a whole bunch of nothing. True service dogs provide an important service, and are trained so that they can be anywhere, and do so safely and cleanly.

I agree with others, there should be some way to legally identify a true service dog without having to ask people for anything, and there (IMO) should be huge penalties for people that fake it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies