Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Status: "Look right->My Blog Entries for my Top 200 USA MSA's" (set 9 days ago)

1,046 posts, read 960,699 times

Advertisements

Mods Idk where this thread belongs.

Just for fun, I was looking up how to become a dentist. In addition to a Bachelor's degree, you obviously must attend 4-year Dental School in addition to other requirements. I believe there are only 77? dental schools in the entire USA, and many states do not even have one school (South Dakota, Vermont, and Delaware.For example do not have a dental school). The in-state tuition in Pennsylvania (we have 3 dental schools, 1 in Pittsburgh and 2 in Philadelphia) is about $57,000+ per year, plus other costs including equipment rentals and many fees. The total cost (including room and board, but not including lost wages) would be over $400,000 just for dental school (add-on the undergraduate cost of $75,000-$125,000 plus)! You could easily sink a half million into a dental career before earning a single dollar from performing dental work. I think you would have to forgo employment as dental school seems like a full-time pursuit. This would represent opportunity cost.

We need more dentists and doctors! And I believe the exorbitant cost of obtaining medical degree and training is deterring applicants. Do other countries saddle dentists/doctors with such debt? Healthcare costs may be directly inflated due to universities!

Also: only about 3-5% of applications are accepted into dental school. Seems like dental school is for the elite and talented only.

Feel free to add any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies