U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:17 AM

33,336 posts, read 20,124,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Aren't those on the right the ones who express concern about political indoctrination from the schools? Are we to believe it's OK, as long as it supports your POV, but not OK if it doesn't.

For me, I think I'd be even more upset that my child's image was put on the internet at all. In today's world many parents would not approve of that, regardless of the apparel being pictured. I wonder if parents signed a waiver for that?
Like I posted earlier, my nephew's school does not allow ANY types of political shirts or hats. I think that is the best policy, ever! It will eliminate a lot of potential problem.

But in this situation, it is simply a case of kids buying tourist Souvenir. As long as street vendors are selling them, people would buy them. School and parents have no control over this.

I do understand parents' concern. I certainly wouldn't want my nephews to wear that hat, especially here in California, No, I don't want somebody beating them up, I don't want their faces to be shown on the internet.

This is a crazy world, certainly not an exaggeration.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM

21,942 posts, read 21,738,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Aren't those on the right the ones who express concern about political indoctrination from the schools? Are we to believe it's OK, as long as it supports your POV, but not OK if it doesn't.

For me, I think I'd be even more upset that my child's image was put on the internet at all. In today's world many parents would not approve of that, regardless of the apparel being pictured. I wonder if parents signed a waiver for that?
Kid buying a souvenir hat on a trip and discussing, using as examples and projects political leaders/candidates with a bias towards one party is not the same thing.
In my experience a parent must sign a release form, among the mound of forms to be signed, at the beginning of the year for their childs photo to be used in anything other than the yearbook. The photos were posted to a closed site for students/teachers/parents.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 PM

7,257 posts, read 6,591,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How are the parents indoctrinating the kids into politics when the kids chose to buy the hats?
Do you believe that generally kids will identify with the politics of their parents, in as much as kids identify with politics, at least until they are late teens or early 20's. Do kids not generally share their parents ideology, religion, etc.

No, I believe they don't. Not unless their elders spoon feed it to them and subject them to constant exposure to the elders' own beliefs. That is the indoctrination. If the children buy political souvenirs (or religious or other ideological souvenirs) it's because they have already been indoctrinated by the parents or other people that are teaching/exposing them to those things. The children will buy those things that are symbolic of their elders' beliefs because they know it will please their parents/elders/teachers and influence them to approve of the children. The children don't buy those things because they understand what the symbolism stands for. They do NOT understand. They're just doing 'monkey see, monkey do' because they're seeking approval from the people who are most important to them.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM

33,336 posts, read 20,124,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, I believe they don't. Not unless their elders spoon feed it to them and subject them to constant exposure to the elders' own beliefs. That is the indoctrination. If the children buy political souvenirs (or religious or other ideological souvenirs) it's because they have already been indoctrinated by the parents or other people that are teaching/exposing them to those things. The children will buy those things that are symbolic of their elders' beliefs because they know it will please their parents/elders/teachers and influence them to approve of the children. The children don't buy those things because they understand what the symbolism stands for. They do NOT understand. They're just doing 'monkey see, monkey do' because they're seeking approval from the people who are most important to them.

Could be, or they are doing the opposite their parents ask them to do. Happens all the time.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 PM

21,942 posts, read 21,738,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

So you believe 13-14-15 year olds dont understand anything about politics and dont have the mental facilities to have any opinion about candidates? You also dont believe kids generally share their parents ideology concerning religion, economics, prejudice, because thats what they are most exposed to growing up but must be taught to accept those beliefs?

It has to be intentional indoctrination if children have the same leanings as their parents.

So a kid raised up in an upper middle class, urban Jewish household is likely to be a liberal, Muslim under achiever at 14 unless his/her parents actively indoctrinated him/her?

Thats a might narrow view. Somehow I doubt you have been around a lot of kids.
Sometimes a hat is just a hat.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:45 PM

14,209 posts, read 6,116,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As many of you are quick to point out -- folks with MAGA hats can be targets of violence.

Would you want your kids sporting one?

Would you have felt the same way if the kids found hats that said Impeach Trump?
It’s a free country. They’re souvenirs sold by street vendors. If idiots are so triggered to commit violence against children over a hat, what does that say about your side?

And if they wore hats that said Impeach Trump, I can guarantee they wouldn’t be exposed to violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or