U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 PM

4,255 posts, read 1,836,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Paid for in taxes by those who opt into the program and increasing the Medicare tax fron 1.45% to 2%.
Even if the government would create such a program, it would immediately start operating way over budget and would quickly become another tax-payer subsidized money sink-hole. Can you name a single exception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:08 PM

4,323 posts, read 879,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Even if the government would create such a program, it would immediately start operating way over budget and would quickly become another tax-payer subsidized money sink-hole. Can you name a single exception?
Yes. The Canadian Universal Healthcare system. It works.

How well does it work?

Canada spends 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP on healthcare than the USA. With better results. Canadians live longer.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:13 PM

8,790 posts, read 4,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

How well does it work?

Canada spends 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP on healthcare than the USA. With better results. Canadians live longer.

Well it wouldn't be Universal Healthcare.

Cost is at a low competitive monthly or annual rate. Payment is income adjusted.

Unemployment health insurance with 100% covered for 1 year unemployed.

89% no out of pocket coverage for four year's for those that fall below a fixed income amount based on immediate family size.

Additional 10% discount on health insurance for the next year if able to prove volunteer 12 hours or more a month.

5% discount on health insurance for the prior year if have a physical completed.

5% discount if a non-smoker on health insurance.

100% coverage for those on permanent disability. Audit and clean up fraud with regards to disability.

Allow more organizations to offer tax exempt health share plans.

$50 yearly tax for those who use a government healthcare plan, unless on permanent disability or unemployed.

100% healthcare coverage for those 75 or older.

100% healthcare coverage for active duty service members and their immediate families.

4 years of 100% coverage for service members with discharge that falls on honorable conditions.

25% healthcare coverage after insurance for any retired service member after 4 years who was discharged with honorable conditions. Also Reserve and National Guards Members receive an addition 25% off healthcare cost.

Do away with red tape with regards to FDA pharmaceutical regulations.

Increase funding to small medical research facilities and higher education facilities.

Offer a low rate Government Malpractice Insurance.

Reduce any healthcare patents to 4 year's.

Tax incentives to States that buy and dispense prescriptions at a low cost.

No sales tax on any medical related sale of service.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:

How well does it work?

That red text clearly demonstrates that you're not understanding what I'm trying to tell you. The US healthcare budget should be zero. They need to stay out of healthcare entirely. Because every time they try to "fix" it, it suddenly gets way more expensive.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM

4,323 posts, read 879,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
That red text clearly demonstrates that you're not understanding what I'm trying to tell you. The US healthcare budget should be zero. They need to stay out of healthcare entirely. Because every time they try to "fix" it, it suddenly gets way more expensive.
You asked for an example of where it works.

Fact is, the Canadian system DOES work. I came back from being my allowed 6 months in the US, last weekend with a persistent cough. Phoned my doctor on Monday, was in Tuesday AM, went and got lab and xray, he had the results on Wednesday and we had a treatment plan in place.

No deductible, no co-pay, and no premiums. I should mention, I live in a very remote rural area where I have to drive 30 miles for groceries. I pay more for gas, about the same (slightly higher but not much) in income tax, less on my corporate tax (internet based, I could incorporate in the US).

Single payer healthcare plans work in the rest of the developed world. The USA is the most expensive, with measurably worse results.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:42 PM

8,790 posts, read 4,713,823 times
U.S. can't go to a Universal Plan over night. U.S. has too much debt and could have a negative economic impact.

So reforming Medicare is a start.

Reforming medical patents and shortening lifespan of patent.

Less red tape with the FDA with pharmaceuticals.

Universal healthcare for those 75 and older.

Government Health Insurance plan to compete against private health insurance companies. Making the market open and competitive.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:43 PM

6,328 posts, read 3,403,649 times
Why do we keep hearing about things like Medicare for all? We have the Affordable Care Act. It is supposedly very popular and affordable, and has solved everyone's problems.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Quote:
You asked for an example of where it works.

Fact is, the Canadian system DOES work. I came back from being my allowed 6 months in the US, last weekend with a persistent cough. Phoned my doctor on Monday, was in Tuesday AM, went and got lab and xray, he had the results on Wednesday and we had a treatment plan in place.

No deductible, no co-pay, and no premiums. I should mention, I live in a very remote rural area where I have to drive 30 miles for groceries. I pay more for gas, about the same (slightly higher but not much) in income tax, less on my corporate tax (internet based, I could incorporate in the US).

Single payer healthcare plans work in the rest of the developed world. The USA is the most expensive, with measurably worse results.
The US could do it if they wanted to. I do not like the Medicare for All because I am on Medicare and I PAID into it for years. I had to wait until age 65 to get it. I think health insurance should be for everyone and eventually no distinguishing between over 65 and under 65. But there would have to be a transitional period where somehow the people who haven't paid enough in to it, have to pay more or the people who already paid all their lives start getting it for free--something like that.

Take it out of the income tax probably, along with the other taxes. Apply less to wars around the world and meddling in other countries and more to health insurance. Seniors already on Medicare would be income tax exempt for health insurance. Phase it in.

Yes, a discount for people who don't smoke and a discount for people who get a yearly physical. But don't most health insurance companies already have that? I don't believe in the volunteering because who has time? If you're able bodied and on welfare, yes to volunteering though. Most would probably get off welfare anyway because one reason they stay on welfare is so they can get health insurance (Medicaid.)

Also, you'd have to put a complete stop to illegal immigration. Not a tax paying or retired citizen or green card holder, no health insurance. No free ER visits for illegals who don't pay in and are already a drain on our schools and other services.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Why do we keep hearing about things like Medicare for all? We have the Affordable Care Act. It is supposedly very popular and affordable, and has solved everyone's problems.
And we even warned them. We said that, not only would the cost go way up, but you give 'em obama care, and they'll come back asking for a lot more later. And lookie here. Look where we're at today. Not only do democrats accept it. They've actually been trained to beg for it. What a masterpiece of brainwashing they pulled off.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 PM

56 posts, read 10,593 times
Only two countries on this planet do not have universal healthcare: US and Zimbabwe. Nuff' said.
As for the costs: during gas shortages govt. is monitoring gas stations for price gouging. Even though it's totally legal, although not moral. But, nobody cares about price gouging by doctors/hospitals/drug makers, when cash-cost is 100 times less than what they bill insurance company. Create universal healthcare, crack down on price gouging by doctors, and see health expenses falling to normal (read "other countries") levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or