U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 AM

36,914 posts, read 16,106,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Additional insurance is for dental, private hospital rooms and drugs.

Why did Rand Paul,come to Canada for his hernia operation? Why do millions get their prescriptions from Canada?
"Additional insurance is for dental, private hospital rooms and drugs.

You left SEVERAL IMPORTANT things out. I wonder why?

"What does private insurance cover? Many private health insurance plans pay for:
  • Extended health care (prescription drugs, medical supplies, hearing aids, vision care, semi-private or private room in hospital, chiropractic and registered massage therapy)
  • Dental services
  • Disability income if you develop a serious health condition and can no longer work
  • Critical illness coverage (for illnesses like cancer)
  • Mental Health support services and counselling
  • Speech Therapy services
  • Travel insurance
  • The cost to have your body returned home if you die
  • The cost for a prosthetic device if you lose an arm or leg
For More Information

Guide to Supplementary Health Insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 AM

9,950 posts, read 8,083,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Paid for in taxes by those who opt into the program and increasing the Medicare tax fron 1.45% to 2%.
Uh try around ~9% for employer (roughly equal to what employers pay now for private health insurance)
And around 4% for employee.

Im all for it, but you are understating the cost by a LOT.

Still does not address the cost end and the monopolistic practices of big pharma, hospitals and the AMA.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM

4,323 posts, read 882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

"What does private insurance cover? Many private health insurance plans pay for:
  • Extended health care (prescription drugs, medical supplies, hearing aids, vision care, semi-private or private room in hospital, chiropractic and registered massage therapy)
  • Dental services
  • Disability income if you develop a serious health condition and can no longer work
  • Travel insurance
For More Information

I did include dental. I did include drugs. I did include private rooms. It seems you copy and pasted this without looking at it.

Travel insurance is never covered anywhere I am aware of. What makes you think that critical illness is not covered? It's covered in spades; I know, I was in ICU for 3.5 months. Get your facts or your understanding of what the words mean straight.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Uh try around ~9% for employer (roughly equal to what employers pay now for private health insurance)
And around 4% for employee.

Im all for it, but you are understating the cost by a LOT.

Still does not address the cost end and the monopolistic practices of big pharma, hospitals and the AMA.
Is there any reason the hospitals can't be part of the system? They are in Canada, and many used to be private.

It is one of the reasons costs are so much lower in Canada. Doctors still make about the same. An interesting discussion on this in this PreMed forum.

Family Medicine - Canada Vs Usa - Primary Care Residencies - Premed 101 Forums

Here is an interesting study, which shows no matter what metric one uses on healthcare, the USA comes in last.

Source:https://www.commonwealthfund.org/sit...irror_2017.pdf

The same study shows that Canada also could use improvements, however, in all cases, access and outcomes are better up north.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 AM

12,690 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:

• Dental services
  • Travel insurance
For More Information

Oh please. You seriously want them to list the whole possible insurance policy?

Also this is for Ontario, not all of Canada. Things like prosthetics are covered in places like BC.

The add ons in that list are not all health coverage. Disability income would be on top of what you would get from work, or from Workers Comp.

Critical illness coverage is not for covering medical costs. THOSE ARE COVERED! It's like life insurance without dying. It's a PRODUCT that the insurance company is trying to make money on. It's not going make any difference in your care or the cost of your care. It's to help you if you can't work.

Travel insurance another.

Same with having your body returned.

Mental health and speech therapy aren't covered, but that is why EH fills the gap. Most people have EH through work. Those who don't or can't afford it, there are many programs.

Anyway this in no way is an indictment against UHC.

Nice try though.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I did include dental. I did include drugs. I did include private rooms. It seems you copy and pasted this without looking at it.

Travel insurance is never covered anywhere I am aware of. What makes you think that critical illness is not covered? It's covered in spades; I know, I was in ICU for 3.5 months. Get your facts or your understanding of what the words mean straight.
"It seems you copy and pasted this without looking at it."

I DID look at it which is why I only highlighted the ones you DID't include.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Is there any reason the hospitals can't be part of the system? They are in Canada, and many used to be private.

It is one of the reasons costs are so much lower in Canada. Doctors still make about the same. An interesting discussion on this in this PreMed forum.

Family Medicine - Canada Vs Usa - Primary Care Residencies - Premed 101 Forums

Here is an interesting study, which shows no matter what metric one uses on healthcare, the USA comes in last.

Source:https://www.commonwealthfund.org/sit...irror_2017.pdf

The same study shows that Canada also could use improvements, however, in all cases, access and outcomes are better up north.
"In 1918, Anna Harkness founded the Commonwealth Fund with a gift of $10 million ($151 million today) and the mandate to “do something for the welfare of mankind

Just another survey STUDY from someone with an agenda

". Data for the indicators used in the Equity domain come from the 2016 Commonwealth Fund International Health Policy Survey of Adults and are stratified between respondents who reported having "below-average" and "above-average" income. An asterisk (*) indicates where countries were excluded from analysis because of small sample size, n<50."

Old 06-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
"In 1918, Anna Harkness founded the Commonwealth Fund with a gift of $10 million ($151 million today) and the mandate to “do something for the welfare of mankind

Just another survey STUDY from someone with an agenda

". Data for the indicators used in the Equity domain come from the 2016 Commonwealth Fund International Health Policy Survey of Adults and are stratified between respondents who reported having "below-average" and "above-average" income. An asterisk (*) indicates where countries were excluded from analysis because of small sample size, n<50."

Yes, it's called healthcare and the best delivery of it.

Now, rather than dissing it, exactly which FACTS do you dispute, why do you dispute them, and what evidence can you cite to dispute them.

We will wait.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM

19,916 posts, read 14,238,717 times
Quote:
The US is not Canada.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, since you falsely attribute a quote to Carl Sagan.

It was Joni Mitchell who said we are stardust, not Carl Sagan.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The US is not Canada.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, since you falsely attribute a quote to Carl Sagan.

It was Joni Mitchell who said we are stardust, not Carl Sagan.
Wrong:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or