U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 04:14 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You guys aren't getting it. Accomplishments are not it, or at least by themselves aren't it. The USSR was the first to put a man in space? Were they exceptional? Would you want to emulate them, unless you were an American Progressive? No.

It is about the concept, and supporting, and guaranteeing people's NATURAL RIGHTS as human beings that is exceptional.

I have never witnessed such shallowness in society as I have today.
When talking about exceptional accomplishments with out the politics, yes, the USSR was exceptional in putting a man in space.

No one I know wants to emulate the old USSR or the current Russia ( except Trump it seems ).

In this thread it was an American who started to bring up accomplishments as evidence of American exceptionalism.

The trouble with this thread, is there seems to be two different mindsets on what American exceptionalism is.

If it is truly just " It is about the concept, and supporting, and guaranteeing people's NATURAL RIGHTS as human beings that is exceptional." then yes, the US can take credit for that. However put it into historical context. Those rights didn't extend to everyone right away. Great words, not so great meaning since most of those rights extended to white male property owners. You couldn't vote in a presidential election unless you owned property until 1828.

My point in the above is the rights and access to rights change. It is also not the 18th, 19th or 20th century anymore. The US is NOT the only country with these rights, so when someone today states the US is exceptional in this regard, the answer is, ya over 200 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM

4,070 posts, read 1,554,506 times
Do all Canadians suffer from p3n1$ envy regarding the US? Asking for a friend.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM

9,512 posts, read 5,358,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What you say determines what you are (traitor to freedom or friend of freedom).

There is a world of difference between being critical of our country, and condemning her (as you are your ilk do). I don't think anyone would put their lives on the line so you could condemn the country. I certainly wouldn't raise a finger for you and your ilk.

You may dismount your high-horse now.
You still don't get it.

The difference between us and a lot of countries we are suppose to better than is freedom of speech. That includes voicing out things about our country you don't like or agree with.

Not too long ago, minorities and women didn't have equal rights. People went on an uproar and protested. That started change for the better... being critical of our own country sparked change for the better. By your logic, all those people who were critical of our country because it didn't offer equal rights are traitors. That's silly and that's un-American.

"Condemn" haha.. moving the goal posts already I see.. lol

No need to dismount my high-horse... you are already looking upward from the hole you dug yourself into.

Last edited by usayit; 06-23-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I moved out of NJ because the nice beach town was loaded with illegals who crapped in yards, took anything that was not nailed down, and two year olds running rampant on busy streets. How is that for third world.
Which beach town is that?

Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think American is exceptionally evil. But it's evil enough, especially now.
I don't believe that... certainly misguided and misdirected... at times driven by corruption. But evil is such a a strong word.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 PM

11,608 posts, read 4,913,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Which beach town is that?
The one that only exists in their mind.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 PM

17,667 posts, read 8,845,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When talking about exceptional accomplishments with out the politics, yes, the USSR was exceptional in putting a man in space.

No one I know wants to emulate the old USSR or the current Russia ( except Trump it seems ).

In this thread it was an American who started to bring up accomplishments as evidence of American exceptionalism.

The trouble with this thread, is there seems to be two different mindsets on what American exceptionalism is.

If it is truly just " It is about the concept, and supporting, and guaranteeing people's NATURAL RIGHTS as human beings that is exceptional." then yes, the US can take credit for that. However put it into historical context. Those rights didn't extend to everyone right away. Great words, not so great meaning since most of those rights extended to white male property owners. You couldn't vote in a presidential election unless you owned property until 1828.

My point in the above is the rights and access to rights change. It is also not the 18th, 19th or 20th century anymore. The US is NOT the only country with these rights, so when someone today states the US is exceptional in this regard, the answer is, ya over 200 years ago.
Can you think conceptually? Yes Blacks and women did not share in equality right away. WE FIXED THAT, which was also exceptional that we could do that as a nation. OK?

Deeds - Great.

Concept of free people not under the yoke of Royalty - EXCEPTIONAL

When did Canada become totally independent from the Crown? When I was a kid your flag still had the Union Jack on it.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,460,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Do all Canadians suffer from p3n1$ envy regarding the US? Asking for a friend.
Rofl. It’s that obvious at times, isn’t it?

People who don’t care just don’t devote that much time to their tradecraft.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 PM

2,462 posts, read 860,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Can you think conceptually? Yes Blacks and women did not share in equality right away. WE FIXED THAT, which was also exceptional that we could do that as a nation. OK?
What's so exceptional about it? The UK abolished slavery 30 years before the US did. They also gave women the vote before we did.

Look, the US is a great country, and you could even call it the greatest country. That doesn't make it exceptional. The last country that called itself exceptional was Nazi Germany, and you know how that worked out for them.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:40 PM

8,886 posts, read 2,756,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I don't believe that... certainly misguided and misdirected... at times driven by corruption. But evil is such a a strong word.
It is. And I'm usually loathe to use it. But what I'm seeing recently can be explained in no other terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies