U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 05:41 PM

8,871 posts, read 2,754,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Can you think conceptually? Yes Blacks and women did not share in equality right away. WE FIXED THAT, which was also exceptional that we could do that as a nation. OK?

Deeds - Great.

Concept of free people not under the yoke of Royalty - EXCEPTIONAL

When did Canada become totally independent from the Crown? When I was a kid your flag still had the Union Jack on it.
You should read The Warmth of Other Suns if you think we "fixed" the plight of black people post Civil War. Ok?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
But it's OK for you to whine?
You could "quote" link my whine post for me, if you would be so kind.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:52 PM

239 posts, read 175,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Europe and Canada hae expanded education and guaranteed paid family leave.

Europe boasts stronger female participation rates, less poverty, and better intergenerational mobility.

In Europe, women are less likely to quit after having a baby, thanks to the generous parental leave policies of many countries there.

Class mobility today is much more achievable in Europe than in the US.

They have a health care system that works reasonably well - and certainly better than the US one.

They tax their wealthier at higher rates than we do here. Less tax burden on their poorest members.
While I believe parts of Europe do things better than we do, some you mention and others you don’t, the rest of this post is so full of untruths it is ridiculous! Your post turned into just another wealthy vs everyone else, which is a false narrative. Taxes on lower income people/households are actually higher in many parts of Europe when you take into account all the various forms of tax, some very high, that they put on products and services. In the US, basically no household making much under 50k with a coupe kids pays any federal income tax. That is crazy! We do not have as many taxes i general as Europe, so there’s that too.

There are also many who would argue their health care system is Not better than ours. There are certainly problems with ours ,but that is for another thread.

The US is ABSOLUTELY EXCEPTIONAL! One of the best if not the best in the world when taking everything into account.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Do all Canadians suffer from p3n1$ envy regarding the US? Asking for a friend.
Let me look up the definition of envy for you; you're obviously confused.

en∑vy

noun
a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck.
"she felt a twinge of envy for the people on board"
synonyms: jealousy, enviousness, covetousness, desire; More
verb
desire to have a quality, possession, or other desirable attribute belonging to (someone else).
"he envied people who did not have to work on weekends"
synonyms: be envious of, be jealous of; More

Now, while disseminating any posts on here from Canadians, let's see where any of them are expressing "envy".

This should be fun.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I don't believe that... certainly misguided and misdirected... at times driven by corruption. But evil is such a a strong word.
Evil implies intent. America is not evil in that context. MOYMV

Old 06-23-2019, 06:04 PM

2,074 posts, read 433,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
How dare you make such a communistic statement. For the record, YOU probably are none of those things, but America IS (despite you and your ilk).
Hahahahaha.

If youíre good at one thing, itís projection, comrade.

I like how you donít miss the chance to include propagandist talking points: ďdespite you and your ilkĒ.

Weaksauce.

My point about exceptionalism remains, despite your non-sequitar.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:08 PM

7,555 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Hahahahaha.

If youíre good at one thing, itís projection, comrade.

I like how you donít miss the chance to include propagandist talking points: ďdespite you and your ilkĒ.

Weaksauce.

My point about exceptionalism remains, despite your non-sequitar.
Iím convinced...Subaru lovers are just a class above the rest.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:09 PM

7,555 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
We are the most-just nation ever to grace the surface of the earth. That we are the MOST-EXCEPTIONAL goes without saying, and those who say otherwise are "traitors" to freedom.
Seek help.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 PM

12,776 posts, read 4,830,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
While I believe parts of Europe do things better than we do, some you mention and others you donít, the rest of this post is so full of untruths it is ridiculous! Your post turned into just another wealthy vs everyone else, which is a false narrative. Taxes on lower income people/households are actually higher in many parts of Europe when you take into account all the various forms of tax, some very high, that they put on products and services. In the US, basically no household making much under 50k with a coupe kids pays any federal income tax. That is crazy! We do not have as many taxes i general as Europe, so thereís that too.

There are also many who would argue their health care system is Not better than ours. There are certainly problems with ours ,but that is for another thread.

The US is ABSOLUTELY EXCEPTIONAL! One of the best if not the best in the world when taking everything into account.
You are trying too hard. The US may squeeze into the exceptional class...but just barely. An example...my niece, a well educated English MD who is both a US and English citizen has elected to make her permanent home in Copenhagen, Denmark even at the cost of having to learn a new language to continue her profession. And she had years of exposure to the Eastern US and high end London.

So we do a reasonable job but not always exceptional. You need to compare us to the very large countries before we really can claim exceptional status. The niece is a fine example. Her first kid was born in Copenhagen though she could have easily worked the USA or England.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Unlike other nations, our most treasured documents drawn up by politicians, limited the power they exercised.
Yeah, that's why he can unilaterally start a freak'n war all by himself, threaten reporters with jail time, fly back and forth every weekend to his golf club at your expense...Ö. give us a break. The guy has more powers than some tin pot dictator.....oh...wait...

Other nations leaders cannot order their military to do ANYTHING without an act of parliament to support it.

Your "most treasured document" was plagiarized from a document written 500 years prior by the KING of England. Haaar, the irony is not only lost on you, but wasted as well.

https://phdessay.com/the-magna-carta...-constitution/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies