U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 AM

12,209 posts, read 9,900,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm just gunna keep believing we are the best because it beats the alternatives. We can still improve, but so can everyone else.
What is the alternative? Not being "the best" whatever that even means? What is so bad about that?

This speaks to a post I made a few minutes ago. Fantasy land is better than reality, even when the fantasy does not even make sense. What is this, a football game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well said. When one is a citizen of a country one has certain rights. The right to excel, the right to achieve and liberty to do so. A member of my family immigrated from another country just so he would be judged on the quality of his work...and he has succeeded here.

No one ever said America was perfect. But we strive for heroic deeds...and whether that makes you hopeful ...of god forbid envious....we are proud to represent a country which would not settle, that fought and died for our ideals of freedom.
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore."

hmmmmm so very not settling in our ideals of freedom these days. Makes me proud. /s

Old 06-27-2019, 04:39 AM

36,978 posts, read 16,123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Many of the things I listed does effect mainstream Americans, matter of fact most of what I listed effects mainstream Americans. Lower income Americans are still Americans, they share this country with middle and upper class Americans. So their health and social outcomes will have a strong impact on the outcome of the country as a whole.

True, but we still share a common space with many of these people and their life outcomes have an effect on all of us.
"and their life outcomes have an effect on all of us"

What is the old saying, "Am I my brother'e keeper?"

Old 06-27-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and their life outcomes have an effect on all of us"

What is the old saying, "Am I my brother'e keeper?"
This saying makes my blood boil. When someone utters it to present Biblical support for social justice, it's not my monkeys, not my circus. But then it is hailed loudly when trying to force someone into sexual behavior that is deemed "right" by them. It is disgusting.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 AM

36,978 posts, read 16,123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
My niece, an intelligent young lady, just made that choice. She was raised in good London and the Boston area. Is a citizen of the US and England and is an English MD. Given the effective choice of anywhere in the EU or USA she chose Copenhagen, Denmark where she just had her first child.

So a thinking upper class person passed on the US and England in favor of Denmark. There are of course other complications in such a decision. But she chose with full knowledge of the countries involved. And I suspect her child will end up a citizen of all three...
" an intelligent young lady,""in favor of Denmark."

Isn't that called an oxymoron.

Denmark is pretty HIGH on the number of suicides for a reason.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" an intelligent young lady,""in favor of Denmark."

Isn't that called an oxymoron.

Denmark is pretty HIGH on the number of suicides for a reason.
Yah. Seasonal affective disorder.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 AM

39,498 posts, read 40,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

They are citing perjury as an example of limitation of freedom of speech. Give me a break. LOL

Old 06-27-2019, 08:21 AM

659 posts, read 197,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'll tell you frankly, when i and others read your post, we know that you've never pushed beyond your own limitations. Aim high.
So you have no response to Trump taking Putin's criticism of American Exceptionalism as valid? Didn't think so. Continue aiming low, you already do and it shows.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM

17,277 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Every country will have some areas without violent crime. Your post is nothing but a feeble and thinly guised "yeah but". The U.S. suffers from a higher crime rating due to the country's STATS. Full stop.
So, it seems that you don't see any reason why somebody might prefer the United States or even be proud to live in this country over others.

Is this correct? lol

Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM

18,293 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There is a thing you see a lot on this and other boards. It's my opinion! I have a right to my opinion! Sure, of course you have a right to your opinion. That does not make it a GOOD opinion, an opinion on merit or in any way based on facts or reality. A lot of conservative opinion is based on fantasy, not reality. Or a wistful desire for the way they think things should be.
Of course, no one could disagree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies