Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,431,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You don't have to live in a gated community. If you are middle-class, then you simply don't see most of these things in American society. They are largely out of sight out of mind.

For example, the homicide rate in middle-class areas of America averages only around 1.2 per 100,000. So, in spite of all the talk about America's high crime rate, people who live outside of low-income urban areas almost never see any violent crime.

It is a situation where people who earn more money effectively buy themselves out of the ills that affect the lower socioeconomic strata. I suppose it works this way in a lot of other countries too.
Unless you read or watch the news.

Your reasoning reminds me of others who argue that the gun deaths numbers would be quite different if you remove the amount of blacks involved.

As if, somehow they aren't Americans, or part of American society.

Whatever happened to citizens wanting to build a better country for all. You guys used to have that to a degree.

Now?

You guys are so divided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM

27,374 posts, read 28,451,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
At this point in history the only thing America is best at is being fat and getting shot.
The reason why so many Americans are overweight is because the cost of food relative to income is the lowest in the United States. It is hard for people to resist eating when food is this diverse and plentiful. It's one of the pitfalls of being such a rich country. That and the fact that people don't exercise enough.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/...pends-on-food/

Old 06-27-2019, 12:28 PM

12,821 posts, read 853,139 times
Same all over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9JrPLtVak0

Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,066,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What is the alternative? Not being "the best" whatever that even means? What is so bad about that?

This speaks to a post I made a few minutes ago. Fantasy land is better than reality, even when the fantasy does not even make sense. What is this, a football game?
The alternative to "best" can be "worst/worse". The rest of your post in incomprehensible to me and I'm not a stupid person.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:39 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,431,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The reason why so many Americans are overweight is because the cost of food relative to income is the lowest in the United States. It is hard for people to resist eating when food is this diverse and plentiful. It's one of the pitfalls of being such a rich country. That and the fact that people don't exercise enough.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/...pends-on-food/
As visitors to the US will tell you, it's also about portion size and quality of the food that poorer people eat.

However it is much more complicated than just that. Mexico has an obesity problem as well. Canada too.

The differences may be in morbidly obese people in the US.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 660,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why is that always the typical answer for someone who understands that we’re not the greatest nation on earth? Better yet, what makes you think we are?
Because (and I try to keep to the positive), they understand deep down that something is wrong.

And don't want to even imagine that dusting one's own steps could apply to them.

The IDEA of USA is still good and exceptional.

But it's been rather watered down for several decades. They don't want to face facts and also that most people (I guess) like to live there but bring change (isn't it what usa is about?).

I guess most people won't move but still want change. It's not a bad thing, actually, it's the right thing (in my view) to do.

Uphold the rights, citizens, if you don't do it, who will ?

And THAT's american's exceptionnalism.

Yet, you (as a whole, or at least on CD) don't even defend that right.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:28 AM

1,349 posts, read 660,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Yes, and Rome was sacked by the Gauls before conquering them.

It's not going to be a perfect win record. What matters is the long run. Hell Vietnam is practically an ally now against China, and they've emulated our economy and society since the 90s.

The USA is just getting started.
And Charles Martel stopped the muslims in Poitiers

Start reading real history.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,149,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The alternative to "best" can be "worst/worse". The rest of your post in incomprehensible to me and I'm not a stupid person.
So what if it is "worst" whatever that even means. Worst just means dig in and fix it! The fantasy land comment is about wanting to believe in a fictional exceptionalism rather than facing the facts on the ground.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,149,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They are citing perjury as an example of limitation of freedom of speech. Give me a break. LOL
I don't know that freedom of speech does or ever did extend to freedom to use someone else' speech for profit or gain. I think I am missing the point.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,910,047 times
When I joined the forums there was constant talk of how the US is better than Europe and Canada in pretty much everything and it was tiring constantly having to argue with Americans making those claims. To be fair, that attitude has almost completely disappeared in recent years, at least over here on CD. I mean, who could reasonably still claim exceptionalism if even the elected president has as his main slogan: 'Make America great again'. I'm glad you guys finally came to sense.

On the other hand, I do believe the upper 10% of the US are actually better off than pretty much anywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies