U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 10:39 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times

Advertisements

The U.S. stock market keeps hitting new All-time record highs.

Who needs to be "exceptional" when this country is always winning? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM

12,181 posts, read 6,935,590 times
I wish ungrateful, anti-American americans were born in Somalia or Syria instead of being damn lucky to be born in this exceptional country they take for granted, the USA.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 AM

4,428 posts, read 869,355 times
If we EXCEPTIONALISM, what about NORMISM?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:50 AM

13,973 posts, read 10,915,300 times
I like and appreciate many things about living in the USA. But I always thought that blind patriotism aka "we are annointed by God as the Best nation in the history of mankind" was drivel for idiots. It's this kind of thinking that breeds ignorant, close-minded people. It also inhibits learning and improvement.

There are many assets we have and many things we do better than others; there are also many problems we have and certain things we do worse than others. Life is not black and white, and you don't need to lose sight of our benefits to also admit and address our shortcomings.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:50 AM

5,967 posts, read 3,457,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
If we EXCEPTIONALISM, what about NORMISM?
LOLOL ... wut?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:51 AM

4,459 posts, read 829,670 times
Not any more.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:00 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,738,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Some countries kind of sorta copied us, but which have a Second Amendment to put teeth in their Rights? No other country has this guarantee of a Natural Right, and the ultimate guarantee of freedom.

Look at all the countries adopting "HATE SPEECH" laws as they don't have a First Amendment. No, we are still the most exceptional country in the world. The Democrats want to change that. And people like the OP just want to dwell on perceived negatives or the few mistakes we've made. Just more talking America down.
Why on earth would the Democrats want to take away exceptionalism? I think they are just being honest. I've found that conservatives are just slower catching on to the reality of change. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, they'll be able to realize this isn't the 1950s. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:11 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Why on earth would the Democrats want to take away exceptionalism? I think they are just being honest. I've found that conservatives are just slower catching on to the reality of change. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, they'll be able to realize this isn't the 1950s. But, I'm not holding my breath.
Did you ever check:

What is the average size of a house in America compared to other countries?

Which country has the highest number of millionaires and billionaires?

Yeah, everybody is about to leave the U.S. for the next promised land, wherever that is.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:17 AM

9,558 posts, read 2,641,528 times
We're exceptional in number of homeless vets.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 AM

15,072 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Did you ever check:

What is the average size of a house in America compared to other countries?

What country has the highest number of millionaires and billionaires?
I think we may have more mountaintops with over 1,000 feet removed from them also.....larger strip mines, etc.....

Hopefully you are not trying to make a point......either for or against, because larger homes do not equal happiness or health and nor does taking tours of Newport Mansions from the Gilded Age.

I think we'd all be wise to consider that "it's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have".

There is no debate about the USA and Canada being the land of riches (minerals, farmland, ports, etc.) - the question is whether, now and going forward, we are using these things to improve the lives of The People.

The opiod crisis, suicide rates and falling mortality seem to show that, at best, we are in a period of stagnation when it comes to improving our lot (in general).

Socially we are slowly improving....which is a good sign for the long term.

We need to have ways to property measure happiness (of the people) and the General Welfare and the Benefits to our Posterity (the things discussed by the Founders) in order to see whether we are headed up, down or sideways.

We certainly don't get it by measuring GDP, which includes debt, inflated health care costs, war and the like...and also includes billionaires to offset what the average person makes.

I think stats like the "46% of Floridians who aren't making it" are telling us something....I cannot possibly imagine that those 46% are people "not of merit". In fact, I know that's not the case....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies