U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM

9,541 posts, read 5,369,668 times

Advertisements

I generally can be extremely critical of things in the US but it doesn't mean that I think of this country any less... I think it is still one of the best countries to build a life in and thankful that I am here. Being critical doesn't mean I love the US any less. It just means that I want it to keep getting better.

The danger of the "America is great" or "America is exceptional" notion is no different from a person who has the same over inflated sense of self. We turn our backs on others and stop looking/learning from others. We assume the status quo is perfect and stop looking to improve ourselves. As someones else stated, we risk skirting responsibility. We are critical of people who act entitled yet as a country we often act the same way.

Yes... America has a lot to learn and improve.

Last edited by usayit; 06-22-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM

2,112 posts, read 643,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m an extremely well-traveled American who feels an incredible sense of happiness every time I’m wheels down back in the USA. My foreign experiences both enrich me and fill me with gratitude for my home.
You feel that way because its your home not because its a particularly nice place to live.

Quote:
I think a lot of people who think like you are just unhappy defeated people who are failing to succeed in life, but unwilling to take responsibility for it. A dour outlook and the inability to rise above are not traits of successful people no matter what country one resides in.
And what would you know about being successful? I do know that smart people don't make grand assumptions about others unto which they know nothing about. Instead of pretending to act like a low rent Dr Phil, why don't you stick to the topic at hand. Which is the fact that America isn't a very exceptional place. And if you think the quality of life here is anywhere near European levels then you are too delusional to be helped. Compared to all other developed nations America is statistically near the bottom of the pile in every singe metric that matters. Violent crime, poverty rates, women's rights, gay rights, economic mobility, political representation, wealth disparity, happiness rates, education levels, healthcare cover, vacation days, maturity leave, and so on and so on and so on.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 6,321,928 times
Quote:
I’m an extremely well-traveled American who feels an incredible sense of happiness every time I’m wheels down back in the USA. My foreign experiences both enrich me and fill me with gratitude for my home.

I think a lot of people who think like you are just unhappy defeated people who are failing to succeed in life, but unwilling to take responsibility for it. A dour outlook and the inability to rise above are not traits of successful people no matter what country one resides in.
Me too, it feels so good to get home especially after long stays. A couple of times, I felt like kissing the ground, but those stories are probably best for the travel section (snicker).

Old 06-22-2019, 01:44 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Compared to all other developed nations America is statistically near the bottom of the pile in every singe metric that matters. Violent crime, poverty rates, women's rights, gay rights, economic mobility, political representation, wealth disparity, happiness rates, education levels, healthcare cover, vacation days, maturity leave, and so on and so on and so on.
Yet, Americans live in bigger houses, drive bigger cars and make higher incomes than people in just about any other country.

You think that most Americans would trade those things for anything in the world? You've got to be joking.

The promised land is not a place where I go back to living the way the average American did in 1950.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:47 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,469,432 times
Quote:
You feel that way because its your home not because its a particularly nice place to live.

And what would you know about being successful? I do know that smart people don't make grand assumptions about others unto which they know nothing about. Instead of pretending to act like a low rent Dr Phil, why don't you stick to the topic at hand. Which is the fact that America isn't a very exceptional place. And if you think the quality of life here is anywhere near European levels then you are too delusional to be helped. Compared to all other developed nations America is statistically near the bottom of the pile in every singe metric that matters. Violent crime, poverty rates, women's rights, gay rights, economic mobility, political representation, wealth disparity, happiness rates, education levels, healthcare cover, vacation days, maturity leave, and so on and so on and so on.
You really haven’t a clue of what you are saying. All I hear are the ramblings of someone who sounds depressed and defeated.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM

2,074 posts, read 435,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yet, Americans live in bigger houses, drive bigger cars and make higher incomes than people in just about any other country.

You think that most Americans would trade those things for anything in the world? You've got to be joking.

The promised land is not a place where I go back to living the way the average American did in 1950.
Oh please, “bugger houses” and “bigger cars” hardly signifies America’s superiority in *any* way, shape or form, and they don’t make higher incomes “than people in just about any other country”.

American exceptionalism is a farce, but do keep perpetrating your fake reality.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:05 PM

9,541 posts, read 5,369,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To be accurate, they rent bigger houses and lease bigger cars. Very few actually outright own and most walk a fine line between loosing that house or bankruptcy and surviving the next month. 78% of American workers are living paycheck to paycheck. 1 in 3 Americans have less than 5k in retirement.

Sheer number of currency going into a person's bank account is not an accurate measure; it is the quality of life that is afforded that matters. America isn't ranked at the top for quality of life.

Possessions and incomes are not good measures... it is superficial.

Now how do improve this....??

Old 06-22-2019, 02:07 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
"Exceptionalism" isn't about America being PERFECT. It is about the concept and founding of a country based upon merit, and not about your FAMILY, or Royalty by birth. It is also the concept of CITIZENS having Natural Rights as humans upheld and guaranteed by the Constitution, and having SOME say in their representation in government.

OP. Take a Civics and History course. Get some education before you post nonsense.
There’s are plenty of examples of merit based government. Louis xiv used merit to appoint his intendants. The Chinese civil exams supplied imperial China with merit based scholars to run the bureaucracy. Using merit isn’t an American invention at all nor is it an American monopoly.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:13 PM

40,467 posts, read 39,987,496 times
Quote:
You really haven’t a clue of what you are saying. All I hear are the ramblings of someone who sounds depressed and defeated.
Of course, the boring inane drivel of a hater.

Those types have zero clue of just pathetically transparent they are. They try the passive aggressive nonsense to annoy others and I couldnt care less.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:30 PM

22,747 posts, read 16,830,942 times
Quote:
You are correct America is exceptionally awful in contrast to many other developed nations. The more time I spend overseas the more obvious this has become to me and most other Americans.
Feel free to contact the countries of your choice, beg them to let you in with whatever skills you have, and leave. No one is keeping you here by force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies