Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:32 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times

Advertisements

as an individual in order to be at peace with myself and to grow i must take an honest inventory of my own self..this implies i view my actions as another would see me...this is all the more moderate left are saying, that the US has had a great bounty of persons and natural resources to exploit...the US is NOT infallible as such...

i still shudder at the picture of george bush 1 speaking about "our way of life" during the first gulf war (neo-cons in there as well)
this does not make the left "America haters" as the right has always during my lifetime implied going back to 1968 and the Vietnam debacle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 02:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Europe and Canada hae expanded education and guaranteed paid family leave.

Europe boasts stronger female participation rates, less poverty, and better intergenerational mobility.

In Europe, women are less likely to quit after having a baby, thanks to the generous parental leave policies of many countries there.

Class mobility today is much more achievable in Europe than in the US.

They have a health care system that works reasonably well - and certainly better than the US one.

They tax their wealthier at higher rates than we do here. Less tax burden on their poorest members.
Then why in God's name don't you move there?

Old 06-22-2019, 02:57 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Europe and Canada hae expanded education and guaranteed paid family leave.

Europe boasts stronger female participation rates, less poverty, and better intergenerational mobility.

In Europe, women are less likely to quit after having a baby, thanks to the generous parental leave policies of many countries there.

Class mobility today is much more achievable in Europe than in the US.

They have a health care system that works reasonably well - and certainly better than the US one.

They tax their wealthier at higher rates than we do here. Less tax burden on their poorest members.
Sounds like heaven.

Maybe you should move there to make room for millions of other people who want to move to the US.

Everybody’s happy. Win-win

Old 06-22-2019, 02:57 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Then why in God's name don't you move there?
This is what I was talking about earlier...

When you have "America is great/exceptional" etc and such notions its like a egotistic person who would rather avoid discussing flaws and ways to improve. That's the danger of these notions....

Pointing out flaws/imperfections and placing what others (countries) have done on the table doesn't necessarily mean any less love for the US.

Criticism of the US and its policies is actually very American... a right that some citizens of other countries don't have.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This is what I was talking about earlier...

When you have "America is great/exceptional" etc and such notions its like a egotistic person who would rather avoid discussing flaws and ways to improve. That's the danger of these notions....

Pointing out flaws/imperfections and placing what others (countries) have done on the table doesn't necessarily mean any less love for the US.

Criticism of the US and its policies is actually very American... a right that some citizens of other countries don't have.
how DARE you question anything good/bad is all the right knows..as bush2 said you are either with us or against us

Old 06-22-2019, 03:18 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Quote:
More and more Americans are shedding "exceptionalism" and realizing that we are just as capable of terrible acts as any other nations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...nalism/592213/
I didn't know that Americans had ever thought otherwise. Of course we are just as capable of terrible acts as any other human beings.

We are also just as capable of good.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Wow....so many native born Americans and they just have NO CLUE for the basis of American exceptionalism!!

I joke to my American-born friends that the reason to have immigration to America is so that we can explain American history and EXCEPTIONALISM to native-born Americans.

American exceptionalism is not based on wealth or those other measures mentioned by some posters.

Those Americans that have held a Federal job or served in the military should recognize the roots of American exceptionalism. It was right there in the oath you took.

AND it was there in the oath I took to become a American citizen. As a 19 year old kid I got immediately as soon as I said the words.

In other countries, when you became a naturalized citizen you swear allegiance to the government, the Queen, and in most cases the country.

So when I took the oath to become an American citizen, I was ready and totally expected to swear allegiance to America.

I was surprised that I was NOT required to swear allegiance to the United States.

Nope, I was REQUIRED to swear allegiance to the Constitution of the United States. A HUGE difference with other countries.

AND there folks, is American exceptionalism and what it means. Look if a nineteen year old can figure it out....maybe some ex-Presidents, and other native born Americans can catch on to it.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Feel free to contact the countries of your choice, beg them to let you in with whatever skills you have, and leave. No one is keeping you here by force.
Why is that always the typical answer for someone who understands that we’re not the greatest nation on earth? Better yet, what makes you think we are?

Old 06-22-2019, 04:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yet, Americans live in bigger houses, drive bigger cars and make higher incomes than people in just about any other country.

You think that most Americans would trade those things for anything in the world? You've got to be joking.

The promised land is not a place where I go back to living the way the average American did in 1950.
Oh for heaven's sake; look up some stats and get yer azz out of your bubble to actually look around.

Americans for all of the exceptionalism belief expressed on here are NOT the happiest nor the best off of the developed first world countries. More Americans are living pay cheque to pay cheque than the citizens of ANY other western nation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/shut...-paycheck.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...k-robert-reich

More Americans are declaring medical bankruptcy than any other western nation:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this...ankruptcy.html

More Americans are risking going without medical insurance altogether:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...alth-insurance

More Americans are living below the poverty line than at least one of your neighbouring countries has citizens in total:

https://poverty.ucdavis.edu/faq/what...-united-states

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/u...us-bureau.html

From above link the Census bureau puts those living below the poverty line at 45 million.

This one puts that figure at 46 million: https://www.debt.org/faqs/americans-...united-states/
Excerpt: According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the United States has the highest poverty rate among the world’s developed countries. The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) ranks the United States second behind Romania on a scale of what economists call “relative child poverty” when measured against 35 of the world’s richest nations.

This one puts the figures for those living NEAR the poverty line at fully one third of your population:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povert..._United_States

Yes, the U.S. is exceptional …… but perhaps not in the way that some might like us all to believe.

Last edited by BruSan; 06-22-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-22-2019, 04:58 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yet, Americans live in bigger houses, drive bigger cars and make higher incomes than people in just about any other country.
Countries like Norway, Denmark and Sweden have across the board greater median income levels compared to the US plus they have all of the safety nets they need to live a vastly more fulfilling life. Contrast with Americans who are being worked to death to pay for home, car, education and healthcare coverage they can barely afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies