Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Aren’t they free to leave? They would just have to go back rather than enter our country. That, in itself, should nullify any attempts to compare this to concentration camps or slavery. They still retain free will.
What “free will” do these children have?
How would they “go back?”

They’ve been separated from their parents and many will, thanks to the administration, never see them again.
Elementary school-aged children are being forced to care for toddlers and infants they aren’t related to.
Their clothes and medications are taken from them and they are refused medical care.
They are forced to sleep on concrete flooring with no blankets.

You know what OP?
Their treatment actually does sound a heck of a lot like what happened to the slaves.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think that what the take away is --- and is most definitely poorly communicated....the facilities are horrible.

I suspect AOC purposely used concentration camps to try and get the dialogue about the facilities and the horrible conditions.

it's a rookie move. Not a good one. It backfired.

But we can focus on that or we can have a discussion about what the govt. should do with the horrible conditions.
There won’t be any discussion.

Too many people are okay with children being treated like animals.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What cruel responses? Pointing out that going an overnight without toothpaste is not as bad as being marched into the gas chamber?

Stay on topic, or this thread will end up merged. The point is: comparing detained migrants (who came voluntarily) to slaves is just as abhorrent as comparing them to Nazi-era Jews in concentration camps. Yet for some reason, liberals are not making the slavery comparison, and why? Because it would be insulting to black people! Just as the other comparison is insulting to Jews. And yet, when I as a Jew have objected to the comparison, I have been met with the most vile language you can imagine.
If you think for a second that this discussion is about "kids going overnight without toothpaste" then surely nothing I say will get you to understand what we are doing to children is abhorrent.
I believe this child separation policy is not who we are as a country. It is wrong to treat children the way we are.
Think for a second how these kids must feel & think what they will feel 20 years from now & what does that create? IMO another generation of people who hate our country. Whether one is a R or D should not matter. As Americans we should ALL be appalled at what we are doing to children. period.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Now you're comparing Jews fleeing a government that was systematically trying to exterminate them to poor people coming up from Central America??

These insulting comparisons have to stop. I wish my grandfather could have told you what his life was like under Nazism. I can guarantee you he didn't get three meals a day, toys, and a soccer field to run around in.
Not at all.

I'm saying that knowing history is best.

Please don't lecture me on nazism.

You're the one who seems to need a hierarchy in pain. Another poster said it very well.

I would hope that this background you have would have made you more understanding and well.... compassionate and human.

Nevertheless, you didn't adress the point : the USA DID refuse jewish refugees, thousands of them. How do you deal with that ?

It's difficult dealing with Vichy and I just wonder about your rationalization.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:54 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
If you think for a second that this discussion is about "kids going overnight without toothpaste" then surely nothing I say will get you to understand what we are doing to children is abhorrent.
I believe this child separation policy is not who we are as a country. It is wrong to treat children the way we are.
Think for a second how these kids must feel & think what they will feel 20 years from now & what does that create? IMO another generation of people who hate our country. Whether one is a R or D should not matter. As Americans we should ALL be appalled at what we are doing to children. period.
So what are we supposed to do? Adults arrive without prior permission to immigrate and on some (usually) ineligible claim of asylum, with kids they claim to be their own in tow. Should we build or rent apartments for entire families, in addition to all the other expenses of supporting them? They are coming in at the rate of 20,000 per WEEK!

If the parents don't like how they and their children are being detained, they are free to go back to Mexico and accept their offer of asylum there. Nobody is being held against their will. In fact, I'd say anyone arriving from Mexico who originated in a CA country should immediately be sent back. They do not qualify for asylum.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Not at all.

You're the one who seems to need a hierarchy in pain. Another poster said it very well.

I would hope that this background you have would have made you more understanding and well.... compassionate and human.

Nevertheless, you didn't adress the point : the USA DID refuse jewish refugees, thousands of them. How do you deal with that ?

No. You don't get it. Try to take off your liberal blinders and understand my point:

It's not about a hierarchy of pain. This thread was to point out how comparing Nazi concentration camps to detention facilities is a horrendous insult to Jews, particularly Jewish survivors and their families, but that liberals (some anyway) continue to draw a parallel despite the insult to Jews - and that they have not made any comparisons to the horrific conditions under which slaves lived.

That is because they KNOW how outrageous and insulting such a comparison would be to blacks, particularly blacks who can remember a grandparent who was a slave. Thus, liberals avoid such a comparison so as not to offend blacks, but are willing to defend a similarly outrageous comparison when it involves Jews' suffering.

Capiche?

(I will get to your point about the Jewish refugees in a sec.)

Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Not at all.

To your point about the Jewish refugees, again....the comparison is insulting and insensitive.

These Jews were fleeing their OWN government that was systematically rounding them up and exterminating them, and, prior to that, was persecuting them based on religion. That qualifies for asylum, but FDR (a Democrat, duh) refused them entry.

That is not the same as these migrants. They are not being rounded up by their government for extermination, nor are they being persecuted based on religion (or politics). They are just POOR. (Although I see that many of them have cell phones and expensive sneakers.) Thus, they need to apply for immigration, from their home country, and wait until they get approval. It is the mass disregard for our immigration laws, and the fact that 90% are coming in with ineligible claims, to which I object.

And before you say I am inhumane and lacking in compassion, I am suggesting the same process by which my grandmother's family came here in the early 20th century. They did so legally, although the process did take over a year.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:36 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
They shouldn't be.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,355 times
Children are still maintained in camps, and toothbrushes or soap is not allowed.

One of the first thing prisonners found out in camps was hygiene is the only way. Keep it on, but keep it clean.

That was also the very first advice given : clean, clean. Only way to get out of this horror : hygiene as to NOT get a worse desease.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
I’ll go on record and say that I really don’t give a damn how hard life is in our immigrant camps. In fact, I think making it as spartan and unpleasant an experience as possible could possibly result in an eventual trickle effect that cuts down on the number of people showing up to be fed, clothed, and medicated on our dime. My compassion is about all gone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies