Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times

Advertisements

If the children have lice and need showers, maybe the camps could put the lice treatment in the water and shower all the children simultaneously. That would at least kill the lice. It's worked in the past.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:05 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It appears Trump threatens to veto any bill the Dems are putting forth.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/whi...ntry-less-safe

ANY bill? No, just the current bill under consideration. You really do need to do more reading, sorry for the criticism.

Quote:
House majority has put forward a partisan bill that underfunds necessary accounts and seeks to take advantage of the current crisis by inserting policy provisions that would make our country less safe,” the statement reads...

Some of the provisions added by Democrats include measures that withhold funding from detention centers at the border.
now, I need to go read the bill. We all do.

Quote:
It’s unclear when and if the bill might get a vote, even as the Senate is ready to proceed with its own version. Liberal Democrats are calling for provisions to strengthen protections for migrant children, and challenge the Trump administration’s border policies. Democrats met on Capitol Hill with Pelosi late Monday to try and reach a compromise.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:06 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
ANY bill? No, just the current bill under consideration. You really do need to do more reading, sorry for the criticism.

now, I need to go read the bill. We all do.
I didn't make myself clear. Yes, this is the bill I was referencing.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I don't blame the US for the sick children who come across our borders. However, I do blame the US for their horrific treatment of those who make it to the detention centers. They should be bathed, clothed, fed sufficiently, given bedding instead of sleeping on concrete floors. The sick should be cared for more thoroughly. Those things the US CAN do.
Quote:
Customs and Border Protection Chief Operating Officer John Sanders told The Associated Press last week that children have died after being in the agency's care. He said Border Patrol stations are holding 15,000 people — more than triple their maximum capacity of 4,000.
I suppose your implied solution is:

Make sure CBP has $250 per detainee allocated in the budget, so long as that $250 includes enough for each detainee/child to have a daily shower between 7 am and 9 pm, fresh clothes daily, 3 nutritious meals/day, and an individual bed. Or some slight variation.

I don't disagree, just trying to find a solution.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
If the children have lice and need showers, maybe the camps could put the lice treatment in the water and shower all the children simultaneously. That would at least kill the lice. It's worked in the past.
kill the lice, not the eggs. Having been involved with lice spreading at an elementary school, it requires a lot of diligent care for several days for each child, or they'll just come right back.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I didn't make myself clear. Yes, this is the bill I was referencing.
what does the bill say?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:19 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slater View Post
these immigrants aren't complete idiots. They know (or have heard) what type conditions await them at these centers. But that doesn't deter them in the least and they still keep coming. Most of them would step over their own mothers to get here.
d e s p e r a t i o n

Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 AM

an update to the Dem bill ....

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...r-progressives

it's not just aid/necessities. it's not opening up more space to handle the 3x capacity. it includes new rules about treatment of all detainees.

I wonder what the bipartisan Senate version says...

Old 06-25-2019, 09:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
$250/day/child to $750/day/child has been allocated.

Seems like that would be sufficient to provide the "Holiday Inn treatment."

"It costs approximately $250 per day to house a migrant child at a standard, permanent shelter, said Mark Weber, an HHS spokesman. But at an influx facility like Homestead, the cost is triple that - around $750 per day. It is covered by American taxpayers."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1Q3261

^^^Someone is profiting or embezzling off of this situation and the righties have their backs by defending lack of basic needs to these children.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Release the funds democrats!!
They did but trump refused.

Quote:
In January 2018, Mr. Trump met with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) for 90 minutes, with then-chief of staff John Kelly the only White House aide present. Mr. Schumer offered the president $25 billion over an unspecified period to be used for a border wall, paired with a path to citizenship for the young immigrants.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/shutdow...ng-11547498818

I suspect trump really doesn't want to build his "wall." His "wall" is logistically impossible and "Don the builder" was probably schooled about that. Trump can't deal with people realizing he is an idiot so he just keeps hammering this issue without the ability to address any real solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies