U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM

29,443 posts, read 15,437,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Papa Johns I considered kind of evil. I am no fan of Obama's ACA, but at least my companies and the company I work for did our part to make sure the employees had health insurance.

Papa Johns actually slashed all his full time workers to part time to get out of having to pay for coverage, and then he took the money he saved at the end of the year to buy himself another mansion.

Disney is borderline evil in my opinion. We already know the company buys off congress to keep pushing the public domain copyright laws so Disney can retain the rights of Mickey Mouse. This is stuff we know the company has already done. What are some of the stuff that we don't know about? They practically own Orlando, and are buying up everything that they can, and nobody in congress seems to want to challenge them with having a monopoly.
Why does any corporation have the responsibility to provide health insurance?

Should they also pick up the tab for you car insurance and haircuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 AM

11,622 posts, read 3,978,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I see lots people and most of the media are railing against the “evil corporations.” Is it determined by line of business, size or revenue?
At the point. that all that matters is profits and nothing else.

Some corortations use clever advertising and virtue signalling, but a lot of it is sadly just smoke and mirrors.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:43 AM

17,739 posts, read 8,871,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
At the point. that all that matters is profits and nothing else.

Some corortations use clever advertising and virtue signalling, but a lot of it is sadly just smoke and mirrors.
What is the SOLE purpose of any corporation or business, and has been for eons?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Every liberal on Wall Street would say profit.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:49 AM

18,838 posts, read 9,626,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Once a corporation starts supporting left-wing causes and institutions, it becomes decidedly evil.
LOL. I actually agree.

Left wing ideology is just the old slavery - the state and elites get to crap on the people and everybody is a slave to the state.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 AM

11,622 posts, read 3,978,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When workers rights, pay and conditions, environmental impact amd a host of other factors are ignored in favour of profit then a corportation truly becomes evil.

In terms of many major companies they had a history of philanthropy, looking after there workers and even building them good communitioes to live in such as Cadbury's Bournville Village in Birmingham or the Lever Brothers (now Unilever) at Port Sunlight near Liverpool or Reckitt & Sons (now Reckitt Benckiser) at Kingston upon Hull etc etc.

Bournville - Wikipedia

Port Sunlight - Wikipedia

The Garden Village, Kingston upon Hull - Wikipedia

Others such as John Lewis actually gave the business to the employees.

John Lewis & Partners - Wikipedia

Whilst others were part of cooperative movements.

The Co-operative Group - Wikipedia

Or the Wellcome Trust and Rowntree trusts -

Wellcome Trust - Wikipedia

Rowntree trusts - Wikipedia

When corportations cared about their workers the world was a better place, however today they don't even care about the customers, with cuts to the size of products and ever cheaper ingredients.

There was much to be said about some of the great industrlaisys who genuinely cared about society and the names of great men such as Andrew Carnegie, George Peabody and numerous others are celebrated on both sides of the Atlantic.

Peabody housing association London | Peabody

List of Carnegie libraries in Europe - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-23-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 09:55 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,319,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Every liberal on Wall Street would say profit.

Its a legally accepted notion that corporations don't always have to act towards maximizing profits, but also can act in a manner that is socially responsible (and doesn't maximize profits). I think when corporations act ONLY in the pursuit of profit maximization, neglecting their social responsibility, is when they are prone for evil actions. Its pretty amazing what decent people do when working in a corporate environment.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Its a legally accepted notion that corporations don't always have to act towards maximizing profits, but also can act in a manner that is socially responsible (and doesn't maximize profits). I think when corporations act ONLY in the pursuit of profit maximization, neglecting their social responsibility, is when they are prone for evil actions. Its pretty amazing what decent people do when working in a corporate environment.
So, you're complaint is that there are bad people who act in selfish ways?

I didn't realize this was only found in corporations. Are you sure it's not found anywhere else?

Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 AM

21,561 posts, read 14,362,527 times
This is an example of a company that is not evil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_Red_Mill

Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,319,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you're complaint is that there are bad people who act in selfish ways?

I didn't realize this was only found in corporations. Are you sure it's not found anywhere else?

"I didn't realize this was only found in corporations"

Please point out where in my post that point was made. I'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or