U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,528,502 times

Advertisements

I don't care. Doesn't bother me.

I will be honest, though. I struggle to call a born male by female pronouns. And visa versa. It just doesn't make sense on some primal level. I ended up sounded a bit stilted and I want to be respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM

7,570 posts, read 2,221,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Meh, whatever, I don't care much about these sorts of things. As long as the person was ok and polite enough otherwise I wouldn't give it much thought.

It kind of reminds me how so many straight guys aren't comfortable around gay men. I don't suspect every gay man wants to copulate with me. Not sure why so many straight men automatically go there.
Most women think that most straight men want to have sex with them.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM

18,136 posts, read 10,128,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I am seeing more and more that places are allowing trans persons to select which sex designation they want for housing or rooming. How do others feel about this? Would you want to share a hospital room with a person of the opposite biological sex? Your college dorm room? Your navy bunk? Your kid sharing a hotel room with opposite sex person on an overnight trip? I actually wouldn’t care that much, but I suspect many would.
I have done so. One of the crew that we use as a sound tech for our movies is transgender, and has had her first surgery towards becoming female. As long as she doesn't snore, it's all good. Besides, her beard look like it would tickle.

I'm not in high school and worried about cooties any more. I can't imagine why it would bother anyone who isn't worried about their own status.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM

40,425 posts, read 39,951,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I don't care. Doesn't bother me.

I will be honest, though. I struggle to call a born male by female pronouns. And visa versa. It just doesn't make sense on some primal level. I ended up sounded a bit stilted and I want to be respectful.
I'll call people whatever pronoun they prefer. Many people object to this, but whatever. People can do what they like in these regards, as far as I'm concerned.

I've got other fish to fry, no literally, I might do up some fish tacos for dinner tonight.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:30 PM

32,407 posts, read 16,605,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Does rooming with someone come with some implicit mandatory requirement for sexual intercourse with the roommate? If not, what the hell do I care what a roommate identifies as/is/wants to be/etc?

Sexual orientation, gender identification, etc...none of these personal traits are contagious. So why does it matter? Also, none of these things implies sexual predation, so why worry?

Give me a flaming, militant, "Mr. Slave carrying Liberace on his back" rainbow warrior who is clean, tidy and pays his share of rent on time over some socially acceptable hetero-cis bro who is a slob & wastrel who doesn't contribute to the household...every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Roommates aren't judged on who they bump uglies with in their own space, but how well they share bills and responsibility with me in the common space.

Seriously, WhyTF would I care about gender/sexuality over cleanliness, fiscal responsibility and polite behavior? The crap you people think up to concern yourself with....kind of amazing.
We have our differences, but you do make a heckuva lot of sense at times.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM

2,306 posts, read 942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
biological female that self-identifies as a homosexual male.
You think you're joking, but that's an actual LGBT identity that exists, and there's a support group for them.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM

336 posts, read 108,071 times
If I knew them, sure why would i care. If a stranger probably no but that would apply to anybody i don't know. Never understood the go off to college and live in a dorm with a stranger thing. I always managed to find a friend or a studio so avoided the whole thing.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM

27,490 posts, read 17,618,687 times
I haven't even figured out the basic terms-for instance, is a "transgender male" a male pretending to be female, or a female pretending to be male? And are "drag queens", transvestites and transgender all one-in-the-same?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM

2,306 posts, read 942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I haven't even figured out the basic terms-for instance, is a "transgender male" a male pretending to be female, or a female pretending to be male? And are "drag queens", transvestites and transgender all one-in-the-same?
It's not to be understood. They make it up as they go along.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 3,574,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye1015 View Post
On the college campuses with which I am familiar, dormitories are set aside for those who wish to opt in for LGBTQ-friendly housing. Itís not something you just stumble into completely unaware. And, yes, I would be fine with it.
Daughter's college did not have LGBT dorms. Alcohol Free Dorms, but not Gay Free. She played D3 Ice Hockey. Some of her teammates were lesbians and it was known on the team who was straight and who was gay. When they went on road trips and had to stay in hotels, it was just luck of the draw who they roomed with. It never was a problem for my daughter rooming with a lesbian teammate.

As far as the OT, I had a coworker who was trans. She went into the Women's Restroom with us. Just as I never saw the private parts of my other female coworkers, I never saw her's either. Closed door stalls in Women's Restrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or