U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 PM

236 posts, read 183,040 times

Advertisements

Which states, regions or countries fit that bill?

I'm more familiar with South Florida than anywhere else, and I have noticed two trends down here: the transplants (mostly from the NY/NJ/CT region) tend to be more conservative with age; the. opposite is true for the natives. I am talking about the white population here specifically: younger natives tend to embrace "redneck" culture, even though most never learned to fix a tire. Older natives are more into that "chill under the Florida sun, live and let live" way of life. That's not to say that they are particularly "left wing", but they tend to be more tolerant than their younger counterparts.

The opposite is true for the transplants. Retirees who come here to evade strict gun laws, high taxes and a higher cost of living. And older conservative transplants have a different mindset than younger natives. Older conservative transplants, here in Southeast Florida, are primarily concerned with guns and taxes. Being that they tend to come from well-educated, urban areas of the Northeast, they tend to be less devoutly religious and more LGBT-friendly than conservative natives and conservatives elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 PM

50,538 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Yeah, in the minds of conservatives who dream a lot.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, in the minds of conservatives who dream a lot.
I'm not a conservative, by the current definition of it. Definitely not a Trumper.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 PM

7,086 posts, read 4,088,932 times
The conservative stronghold is white boomers. Most other demographics disagree

Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 PM

578 posts, read 169,550 times
To have the dem candidates offering things like dismissing student loans (while the rest of us actually had to do the right thing and PLAN AND PAY FOR OUR OWN EDUCATION), and trying to get the black vote by supporting 1) black reparations, and 2) Warren trying to buy the gay vote by offering gay reparations and the really desperate catering tastelessly to the BLM to buy their votes, my god, you'd have to be a classless pride-less idiot to vote democrats. That's just insulting what they're doing isn't it???

Of course I'm assuming some liberal voters actually do have pride in something other than trying to ride the gravy train or striving to change their natural god-given penises into *******. And as for the blacks they are targeting, well, they're not all lazy idiots who expect freebies, which is what the democrat candidates are treating them like. My god, why would anyone not be insulted by all this?

and the old people, they don't have to care about it so they do what they want without repercussions. so I can see the older turning more liberal and the younger ones finally getting wise.

Last edited by settled00; 06-24-2019 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
To have the dem candidates offering things like dismissing student loans (while the rest of us actually had to do the right thing and PLAN AND PAY FOR OUR OWN EDUCATION), and trying to get the black vote by supporting 1) black reparations, and 2) Warren trying to buy the gay vote by offering gay reparations and the really desperate catering tastelessly to the BLM to buy their votes, my god, you'd have to be a classless pride-less idiot to vote democrats. That's just insulting what they're doing isn't it???

Of course I'm assuming some liberal voters actually do have pride in something other than trying to ride the gravy train or striving to change their natural god-given penises into *******. And as for the blacks they are targeting, well, they're not all lazy idiots who expect freebies, which is what the democrat candidates are treating them like. My god, why would anyone not be insulted by all this?

and the old people, they don't have to care about it so they do what they want without repercussions. so I can see the older turning more liberal and the younger ones finally getting wise.
Where do you live? Do you notice a trend of younger conservatives and older liberals, in your neck of the woods?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 PM

14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Younger whites in the South are definitely still into the “redneck culture” (outside of the cities). Whether or not that makes them conservatives... I’m not sure. My guess is most would lean liberal on stuff like legalizing marijuana, while being conservative on gun control and immigration.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:54 PM

4,946 posts, read 2,968,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Younger whites in the South are definitely still into the “redneck culture” (outside of the cities). Whether or not that makes them conservatives... I’m not sure. My guess is most would lean liberal on stuff like legalizing marijuana, while being conservative on gun control and immigration.
It's almost as if humans are complex creatures..

Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What about same-sex marriage? Where do they fall on that spectrum? Live and let live?

Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 PM

5,887 posts, read 2,737,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Which states, regions or countries fit that bill?

I'm more familiar with South Florida than anywhere else, and I have noticed two trends down here: the transplants (mostly from the NY/NJ/CT region) tend to be more conservative with age; the. opposite is true for the natives. I am talking about the white population here specifically: younger natives tend to embrace "redneck" culture, even though most never learned to fix a tire. Older natives are more into that "chill under the Florida sun, live and let live" way of life. That's not to say that they are particularly "left wing", but they tend to be more tolerant than their younger counterparts.

The opposite is true for the transplants. Retirees who come here to evade strict gun laws, high taxes and a higher cost of living. And older conservative transplants have a different mindset than younger natives. Older conservative transplants, here in Southeast Florida, are primarily concerned with guns and taxes. Being that they tend to come from well-educated, urban areas of the Northeast, they tend to be less devoutly religious and more LGBT-friendly than conservative natives and conservatives elsewhere.
What part of S. Florida are you in? It certainly doesn't sound like the Miami metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or