U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 02:57 PM

349 posts, read 110,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Do you know for a fact that 401ks would be taxed?

Even where I live, deep south TN, has seen the advantage of education. You can now get a two year degree here at no charge.
Of course there is a charge, just the person getting the education is not paying it. Somebody else is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM

5,176 posts, read 2,822,872 times
I voted for Sanders in the D primary last year but I can't support him any more after this plan.

I worked hard to pay off my 50k in student loans.

Everyone else doesn't get a freebee.

Secondly, this is a completely unworkable plan and I'm sure he knows it if he is not an idiot, so this is just an empty promise to get votes. That's the kind of trick a sleazy politician would use, which really shows Sanders is no different in that regard.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM

11,383 posts, read 5,967,127 times
Good news is that Slime Bag Bernie will not succeed in getting this nutso plan enacted. Hes a danger to society.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:09 PM

66,524 posts, read 30,342,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I voted for Sanders in the D primary last year but I can't support him any more after this plan.

I worked hard to pay off my 50k in student loans.

Everyone else doesn't get a freebee.
Yep. My kids earned merit scholarships, worked to supplement costs/expenses, and my spouse and I... we all pitched in to fund our kids' loan-free college degrees. We all EARNED it. There's no reason everyone else can't do the same.

I'm actually EVEN MORE opposed on behalf of those who sacrificed to pay off their student loan debt. Bernie's proposal is a HUGE slap in the face to them.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM

5,176 posts, read 2,822,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. My kids earned merit scholarships, worked to supplement costs/expenses, and my spouse and I... we all pitched in to fund our kids' loan-free college degrees. We all EARNED it. There's no reason everyone else can't do the same.

I'm actually EVEN MORE opposed on behalf of those who sacrificed to pay off their student loan debt. Bernie's proposal is a HUGE slap in the face to them.
Bernie's plan basically says that 25 year olds are still helpless children that need to be coddled.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM

20,712 posts, read 10,044,521 times
What they should do is lower the interest rate.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:14 PM

11,383 posts, read 5,967,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What they should do is lower the interest rate.
Absolutely not. Interest rates for student loans should be higher than other loans. For other loans like houses, cars, businesses, etc, there are hard assets to repossess if the borrower fails to pay, there is literally zero collateral behind student loans.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM

20,712 posts, read 10,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Absolutely not. Interest rates for student loans should be higher than other loans. For other loans like houses, cars, businesses, etc, there are hard assets to repossess if the borrower fails to pay, there is literally zero collateral behind student loans.
They can put into place a way to recover that money - whether it's withholding tax refunds, garnishing wages or what have you. Screwing the millions who pay off their debt on time isn't the right approach.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,803,250 times
Horrible idea. Bernie can pound sand. I worked my butt off to pay my school loans off. I took them out knowing I'd have to do just that. Now these kids want their decision paid for by those who didn't make that decision for them. No. Being an adult means you take responsiblity for your decision. Grow up butter cup. Pay back what you borrowed. Be an adult.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:46 PM

660 posts, read 196,470 times
I would support cutting the interest rates on student loans and allowing for temporary suspension of repayments for those in extreme financial conditions.

Wiping out the loans isn't fair to those who took loans and repaid them, are they supposed to get a refund with Bernie's plan? How many years back should refunds go? I understand how f'd up student loans can be and I detest the way universities and loan companies have handed over piles of money to 18 year olds with no history of paying back debts, but wiping them out doesn't fix it, just creates other problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or