U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 859,539 times

Advertisements

The truth is that neither high school or college prepares students for what is to come. High schools feel they have succeeded if a large percentage of graduates go to college. There is no counseling on what they would potentially do with that degree. They used to have commercial and shop courses for students who wanted to enter the work force out of high school. I don't believe they do that any more.

The second truth is that colleges could care less what you do with your degree, or what you will do for a living when you graduate. The colleges, like most professions, are there for the people employed there, not the clients/students.

The third truth is there is no reason to go away to college. Much lower cost degrees are available through local public colleges for students who live at home and commute to school rather than live there. With working part time and full time in the summers to pay part or all of the tuition and books expenses, any student can get a bachelor's degree with a minimal student loan balance, probably as much as a new car loan.

Finally, except in tech majors like computer science or engineering, it doesn't matter what your bachelor's degree is in. Most people start at square one on the job. The degree gets you the interview, from there on you are on your own. Most of college coursework is irrelevant and you have to learn the majority of your skills on the job. People who think they are being held back by their degree either have unreasonable expectations, or haven't found their niche in the workplace, which can take years or decades to accomplish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 PM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yep. but it sure as hell didn't used to be that way. it used to be entirely possible to work one's way thru a BS degree on a diet of beans and ramen and emerge with a degree in one hand and no debt in the other. what happened?

back in the day, i could carry 22 credit hours and spend a mere $60 on tuition. and books didnt cost much more. then the government happened. they decided that everyone should go to college, and when that happened cost started rising by leaps and bounds. today a three credit hour course at the college i went to, has a tuition of $253, not including any fees that might be tacked on. when i went to college $253 bought my tuition, my books, and my bus passes for the semester, as well as being able to by a few snacks between classes, if i was careful.

you want tuition rates to come down? then get government OUT f the education business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
The unfortunate truth is colleges are selling people on degrees that are totally useless in the marketplace!

so very true. we dont need a butt load of librarians, art history types, english majors, etc.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM

6,740 posts, read 6,547,558 times
I had not much trouble paying it off within 4-5 years of graduating and it could have been quicker than that if I'd had my priorities a little straighter at the time, but I knew they were nothing to mess around with.

I can't say I regret it totally. At the time it certainly seemed like the right thing to do as opposed to going into the workforce or the military. I would have ended up in Afghanistan or Iraq most likely as an unwitting participant in some nasty stuff. The workforce opportunities didn't seem all that enticing and I watched other guys my age go from one crappy job to another, but a lot of that is based on who you know and I hung around a bunch of slap-dicks mostly (Eventually they did alright though.) Nobody really pushed trades and my Dad was offering free room and board as long as I was in school. Knowing what I know now I would have made some different choices but nobody has all the answers at that age, and that is kind of what they count on.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

you want tuition rates to come down? then get government OUT f the education business.

But public, government subsidized junior colleges and universities have always been the cheapest way to get an education while commuting from home.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
... today a three credit hour course at the college i went to, has a tuition of $253, not including any fees that might be tacked on....
That's really cheap. Figure 120 credits needed for a degree, that only comes to $10,000 or so for a four year bachelors degree. Figure an additional $2500 for books and fees for 4 years. Living at home and commuting to school, working part time during the school year and full time in the summer, any student ought to be able to get a degree from your school and be debt free at graduation.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 PM

31,980 posts, read 36,613,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's sad that you have to spend almost your entire life paying for the cost of an education.
That wasn't the case until Obama passed the laws Where Govt started making the loans.

At that point the money flowed freely and the costs skyrocked.

If you think it's expensive now, just wait until it's free.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 PM

78,808 posts, read 33,532,796 times
I've often noted that words have meanings. This seems to be a bit of a spin perhaps. It notes that there is regret for advanced degree's. But then it all ends up boiling down to a regret over the high cost.

So are people really saying that they didn't actually have to get the masters degree? They aren't saying they regret getting a degree?

And then it's all misleading anyway. They are not saying they regret getting the degree whatever the case. They regret having the burden of the costs of these degree's.

I suppose this could go along with the idea of wages being too high. Only the rich being able to afford a degree with everyone else making $3.00 producing trinkets for growing markets elsewhere.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM

78,808 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That wasn't the case until Obama passed the laws Where Govt started making the loans.

At that point the money flowed freely and the costs skyrocked.

If you think it's expensive now, just wait until it's free.
Federal student loans started in 1958. Did Obama ever do anything to help the current situation? No, but neither is Trump.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM

18,459 posts, read 9,561,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm honestly surprised it's that high a percentage. i would have thought maybe 1/3rd at the most.
I question these numbers...wife and I have no regrets and neither do my 2 kids that have degrees. My son that hasn't a degree has regrets in not getting a degree which he is now remedying.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM

90 posts, read 19,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
The unfortunate truth is colleges are selling people on degrees that are totally useless in the marketplace!
In order to be a seller you have to have a buyer. Caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or