U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times

Advertisements

Not me...

...too many people are ungrateful. Nothing satisfies them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:24 PM

40,434 posts, read 39,959,328 times
I don't regret mine. I went to community college and only got my 2 yr Associates. It worked well enough for me in my career. I didn't rack up any debt at all. Of course this is back when Community Colleges were practically free.

I find the 2/3 number to be a bit high. I wonder exactly how the study or whatever it was, how they phrased the questions and things along those lines to elicit such a high number.

I can only imagine those are the people that got the underwater basket weaving degrees and struggled to find employment. I got a technical degree and it's served me well. Along with 26 years experience in my field, that part helps too.

I find through out my career that what school or degrees you have only really matters very early in your career. I've noticed that as new people are brought onboard with the company they'll send out company wide emails introducing them etc etc and after the person has spent some time in the work force they'll typically just list projects they've worked on or what positions they've held at previous employers. Very rarely do I recall those introduction type emails to include what college or university someone attended and when they did it was probably for people that were new to the industry or the work force in general.

Long story short experience and particularly what practical and well documented experience one has makes the difference. For our line of work it's how we sell our services to potential clients.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:24 PM

29,996 posts, read 16,591,924 times
I can remember my parents, now both dead, insisting that I go to college. That even IF I never made millions, knowledge was something no one could take from me.

Both Republicans, members of the Greatest Generation.

How times have changed.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 PM

20,630 posts, read 10,017,887 times
Yes, those who regret their degrees are the ones who spent money getting degrees that will not make them any more employable than before they started school.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM

78,832 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, those who regret their degrees are the ones who spent money getting degrees that will not make them any more employable than before they started school.
Which are very few despite the claims to the contrary.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM

6,861 posts, read 3,783,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
well, that is true. i'm sure there are lots of people who regret not getting a college degree as well, but they weren't polled.
That's true.
I think there's too much snobbery against working in practical jobs these days such as construction, carpentry, masonry and the like.
I know a lot of people doing very well in those areas. Like anything it's down to how hard you are prepared to work combined with a bit of business sense (and a certain amount of luck).

Edit to add: Actually a good repuatation is a vital factor too.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM

17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times
I know it's been the in thing to bash college degrees the past several years (along with an annoyingly corresponding increase in the hyping of the trades).

That doesn't change the fact that generally speaking a college degree is useful and they aren't all worthless (as long as it's not from a for profit school). A STEM degree opens a lot of doors for example.

I have a legitimate degree from an established brick and mortar school. The major is useless but it certainly ticked the boxes when the job required a degree. I'm currently going back to school to get a more science related degree.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which are very few despite the claims to the contrary.
This.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM

21,491 posts, read 11,595,731 times
You can make $150,000 per year as an electrical lineman and we canít find enough qualified candidates who can pass a drug test, work the hours and handle the elements.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM

6,289 posts, read 6,672,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I dont regret mine, but neither did I carry any debt, thanks to Uncle Sam and my employer. Most of those who regret it regret the associated debt, and many people are not very smart when it comes to debt, including teenaged college students.

Edit to add: The results are for graduate degrees, not a Bachelor's.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or