Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:56 PM

10,489 posts, read 6,099,322 times

Advertisements

Regret kind of implies that you feel you should have done something else instead, which is all well and good in retrospect.

You have to actually have gone through the experience in order to regret it. There's no crystal ball here. Nobody can predict the future.
A lot of those people probably thought they were doing the right degree at the time or maybe they were undecided and went for what seemed like the best fit. You can't know until you've done it, nor can you know how things might have turned out had you had chosen a different path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,880,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I question these numbers...wife and I have no regrets and neither do my 2 kids that have degrees. My son that hasn't a degree has regrets in not getting a degree which he is now remedying.
Do you have "advanced" degree's? I ended up getting a bit lucky and I did OK but I do wish I had got a degree also.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,372,841 times
I do not regret mine but am frustrated I have a hard time finding and maintaining a job.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I do not regret mine but am frustrated I have a hard time finding and maintaining a job.
Just think though, if your situation was where you got fired from Burger King, Wendy's would still likely hire you.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,940,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Regret kind of implies that you feel you should have done something else instead, which is all well and good in retrospect.

You have to actually have gone through the experience in order to regret it. There's no crystal ball here. Nobody can predict the future.
A lot of those people probably thought they were doing the right degree at the time or maybe they were undecided and went for what seemed like the best fit. You can't know until you've done it, nor can you know how things might have turned out had you had chosen a different path.
well, that is true. i'm sure there are lots of people who regret not getting a college degree as well, but they weren't polled.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:05 PM

29,787 posts, read 18,645,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you have "advanced" degree's? I ended up getting a bit lucky and I did OK but I do wish I had got a degree also.
Yes I have a Doctorate but my wife and kids just have BS degrees and none of us regrets our degrees.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes I have a Doctorate but my wife and kids just have BS degrees and none of us regrets our degrees.
Good for you (meant sincerely) but to my point once again, the article notes "advanced degree" which can become really expensive but it seems the article wants to paint this as all degree's.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,412,509 times
I dont regret mine, but neither did I carry any debt, thanks to Uncle Sam and my employer. Most of those who regret it regret the associated debt, and many people are not very smart when it comes to debt, including teenaged college students.

Edit to add: The results are for graduate degrees, not a Bachelor's.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:18 PM

29,787 posts, read 18,645,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Good for you (meant sincerely) but to my point once again, the article notes "advanced degree" which can become really expensive but it seems the article wants to paint this as all degree's.
I noticed that as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:21 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,151,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
The unfortunate truth is colleges are selling people on degrees that are totally useless in the marketplace!
In some cases people are demanding degrees that are thoroughly useless. Or they apply with the useless degree as major because that is their back door into a higher ranked (or more desirable) college.

A couple of people have pointed out that the survey listed advanced degrees- I had not picked up on that wrinkle but I can see that being a bigger cause of regret. In my experience people have much higher expectations after picking up a masters or higher. Often times you are spend so much time studying idealized situations and case studies that adapting to the vast majority of jobs/projects feels like a failure. Add in that you might end up working with/for people with less rigorous degrees and it becomes particularly frustrating. I have heard that in terms of business and law degrees you either need to go to an absolute top tier school or your cheapest option because the middle tier schools cost almost as much but do not open doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies