U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM

11,818 posts, read 8,241,478 times

Advertisements

Over the weekend 7 people were killed and many more were injured when a 23 year old guy with a history of drunk driving steered his truck and trailer into a club of motorcycle riders that were on their way to a charity event in NH.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...crash-n1021046

The guy was here in the states legally but he has had numerous run ins with the law for drunk driving and drug use. I heard that the Police went to his residence and found drugs.

I am married to an immigrant and she has great respect for her green card and America. Perhaps she is from the old school but she realizes that if she breaks the law she could lose the privilege that America has granted her to live here. This doesn't seem to be the consensus for some of today's green card holders that go on to break law after law and take advantage of our gullible generosity toward immigrants while Liberal judges give them a slap on the wrist and chance after chance.

I wonder if it is time for a 3 strikes and you are out law in this country. If you are granted a green card and you go on to commit crime after crime then by the third one you lose your Rights and you are deported. I'm not advocating for casual crimes to count but serious ones such as drunk driving, assault, rape, drug use, drug dealing etc.. Why would we want to keep habitual criminals living among us if we had the option to cancel their legal status?

If this guy was gone after his third run in with the Police there would be 7 families today that are not grieving for their loved ones that were so senselessly killed.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 02:22 PM

27,498 posts, read 17,624,051 times
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Immigrating to this country is a privilege. Immigrants should have enough respect for the country that has been so accepting of them to at least obey the law (as the OP stated, on significant matters-no deportation for a speeding (er revenue generation) ticket).

Old 06-25-2019, 02:27 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
I am all for it. Three strikes and you are out of here.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM

13,547 posts, read 7,407,834 times
IMO, drunk driving should be a one strike and you are out. At least for the first 10 years or so.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM

20,612 posts, read 10,017,887 times
I like it. I also think if you're an illegal who has been deported and you come back a second time, you're tossed in prison. So many of these degenerates come back four, five, six times and we just keep repeating the same useless process.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 644,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I like it. I also think if you're an illegal who has been deported and you come back a second time, you're tossed in prison. So many of these degenerates come back four, five, six times and we just keep repeating the same useless process.
The illegal who killed Kate Steinle was a five-time deportee.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:55 PM

71,919 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Immigrating to this country is a privilege. Immigrants should have enough respect for the country that has been so accepting of them to at least obey the law (as the OP stated, on significant matters-no deportation for a speeding (er revenue generation) ticket).
Other countries would not put up with us crossing their border and having run ins with the law over and over

Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM

20,612 posts, read 10,017,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The illegal who killed Kate Steinle was a five-time deportee.
Exactly and he's not the only one who has committed a heinous crime after being deported multiple times. Get that rot off the streets.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:21 PM

32,423 posts, read 16,612,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Over the weekend 7 people were killed and many more were injured when a 23 year old guy with a history of drunk driving steered his truck and trailer into a club of motorcycle riders that were on their way to a charity event in NH.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...crash-n1021046

The guy was here in the states legally but he has had numerous run ins with the law for drunk driving and drug use. I heard that the Police went to his residence and found drugs.

I am married to an immigrant and she has great respect for her green card and America. Perhaps she is from the old school but she realizes that if she breaks the law she could lose the privilege that America has granted her to live here. This doesn't seem to be the consensus for some of today's green card holders that go on to break law after law and take advantage of our gullible generosity toward immigrants while Liberal judges give them a slap on the wrist and chance after chance.

I wonder if it is time for a 3 strikes and you are out law in this country. If you are granted a green card and you go on to commit crime after crime then by the third one you lose your Rights and you are deported. I'm not advocating for casual crimes to count but serious ones such as drunk driving, assault, rape, drug use, drug dealing etc.. Why would we want to keep habitual criminals living among us if we had the option to cancel their legal status?

If this guy was gone after his third run in with the Police there would be 7 families today that are not grieving for their loved ones that were so senselessly killed.

What do you think?
It's sorta covered in the US Code as a two-strike rule already.

[USC04] 8 USC 1227: Deportable aliens

Quote:
(2) Criminal offenses
(A) General crimes
(i) Crimes of moral turpitude
Any alien who-

(I) is convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude committed within five years (or 10 years in the case of an alien provided lawful permanent resident status under section 1255(j) of this title) after the date of admission, and

(II) is convicted of a crime for which a sentence of one year or longer may be imposed,

is deportable.

(ii) Multiple criminal convictions
Any alien who at any time after admission is convicted of two or more crimes involving moral turpitude, not arising out of a single scheme of criminal misconduct, regardless of whether confined therefor and regardless of whether the convictions were in a single trial, is deportable.

(iii) Aggravated felony
Any alien who is convicted of an aggravated felony at any time after admission is deportable.

(iv) High speed flight
Any alien who is convicted of a violation of section 758 of title 18 (relating to high speed flight from an immigration checkpoint) is deportable.

(v) Failure to register as a sex offender
Any alien who is convicted under section 2250 of title 18 is deportable.

(vi) Waiver authorized
Clauses (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv) shall not apply in the case of an alien with respect to a criminal conviction if the alien subsequent to the criminal conviction has been granted a full and unconditional pardon by the President of the United States or by the Governor of any of the several States.
There are more specifics on firearms, drugs, etc., but your examples would seem to cover "crimes of moral turpitude" just fine.

That being said, the USCIS is not exactly known for being a model of efficiency or competence, and - yes, I'm going to say it - under this administration, it has been operating even worse. Agent discretion has been mostly removed. That means that interviews that used to be optional (conversion of one type of work-visa to another, removal of conditional status, that sort of thing) if the agent was supplied with solid documentation are now carried out every time. Which looks great on paper ("We tightened up the rules!") but is of course a waste of effort in a lot of cases.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 PM

632 posts, read 192,195 times
3 strikes in 10 years and you are out for misdemeanors. 1 strike and you are out for felonies (when convicted in court). Seems simple to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or