Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said, they demand tolerance while being intolerant themselves. There is a thread at the Christianity board with nearly 9000 posts where the promoters of the agenda attack and insult Christians mercilessly calling them haters, bigots, nazis and every other name under the sky, and it is simply because those Christians believe what the Bible says. That is VERY intolerant.

If you demand tolerance, you must become tolerant yourself. You can't demonize others into agreement.

The poll shows your intolerance has driven away the most supportive age group, and if I were you I'd sit down and think about how to correct your mistakes. You have to find a better way, because screaming in people faces is not working, and never will.
Finn, as a gay man myself, you are absolutely right that there is a strong strain of anti-religious sentiment in the gay community, more so the gay male side, at least in my experience. Also, quite a bit of racism and misogyny too, but I guess that's a different conversation, no one group is perfect.

However, if we are being honest, you have to admit that the religious extremists are as much, if not more so, to blame for this situation. Conversion therapy, trying to outlaw gay teachers, etc. The Christian community has been both ally and antagonist to the LGBT community for a long time. However, it is just as intolerant to paint all Christians with the same brush.

For example, my dad is a Born Again Christian but is 100% accepting of me and my husband. My husband's family, however, could not quote a single passage from the Bible and are, at best, tolerant of us. I've only hear the word f****t at his brother's house, never in my Dads. So sometimes, appearences can be deceiving.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:03 AM

4,505 posts, read 1,861,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
As a gay man, these types of comments in this post used to upset me to no end. However, in the age of Trump, this type of homophobia is becoming normalized.
This comment right here is why I no longer support the mission of the LGBT community.

This thread is full of people agreeing that they accept gay people, gay marriage, and gay rights. But since we don’t worship your lifestyle and we are sick and tired of being yelled at....

“However, in the age of Trump, this type of homophobia is becoming normalized”

This couldn’t be further from the truth and exposes you (and your community for that matter) for being just another piece of the deranged mob who still cannot accept the 2016 election.

Keep it up, you will eventually alienate enough people and destroy the vast majority of the progress that has been made.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
This comment right here is why I no longer support the mission of the LGBT community.

This thread is full of people agreeing that they accept gay people, gay marriage, and gay rights. But since we don’t worship your lifestyle and we are sick and tired of being yelled at....

This couldn’t be further from the truth and exposes you (and your community for that matter) for being just another piece of the deranged mob who still cannot accept the 2016 election.

Keep it up, you will eventually alienate enough people and destroy the vast majority of the progress that has been made.

Good luck.
Accept me!
Love me!
Be my ally!
Support me!
OR ELSE!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post

Good luck.
Excuse me but I was responding to somebody calling LGBT people freaks. That is not support, that is vitriol.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM

39,211 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Finn, as a gay man myself, you are absolutely right that there is a strong strain of anti-religious sentiment in the gay community, more so the gay male side, at least in my experience. Also, quite a bit of racism and misogyny too, but I guess that's a different conversation, no one group is perfect.

However, if we are being honest, you have to admit that the religious extremists are as much, if not more so, to blame for this situation. Conversion therapy, trying to outlaw gay teachers, etc. The Christian community has been both ally and antagonist to the LGBT community for a long time. However, it is just as intolerant to paint all Christians with the same brush.

For example, my dad is a Born Again Christian but is 100% accepting of me and my husband. My husband's family, however, could not quote a single passage from the Bible and are, at best, tolerant of us. I've only hear the word f****t at his brother's house, never in my Dads. So sometimes, appearences can be deceiving.
Well said

Maybe your born again Christian father does not believe that God intends us to live in the small world of ancient biblical culture, but rather in God's larger evolving world informed by science, reason and experience.

I am a Christian and I went to a religious school when I was a kid. The ONLY time I would debate with somebody regarding a religious subject is when a "christian" claims that suicide is an unforgivable sin. (but this is another subject) Everybody has his/her own way of interpreting bible words, so I let them be.

In term of your husband' family, well, MAYBE, just MAYBE

Conversations often go in circles when everyone is advocating their own opinion. The catch? Most of the time, people don’t know what it is they are disagreeing on! There’s usually a misunderstanding somewhere, but everyone has assumed that the misunderstanding is actually a difference of opinion. The key, then, is to find the misunderstanding and get everyone on the same page.

just a thought.

All these being said, my own interpretation and my own understanding is that

The Bible says nothing about "homosexuality" as an innate dimension of personality. Sexual orientation was not understood in biblical times. There are references in the Bible to same-gender sexual behavior, and all of them are undeniably negative. But what is condemned in these passages is the violence, idolatry and exploitation related to the behavior, not the same-gender nature of the behavior. There are references in the Bible to different-gender sexual behavior that are just as condemning for the same reasons. But no one claims that the condemnation is because the behavior was between a man and a woman.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:23 AM

291 posts, read 159,820 times
Quote:
Excuse me but I was responding to somebody calling LGBT people freaks. That is not support, that is vitriol.
The thread is full of people saying they support gay people. You're never going to completely rid the world of hateful people. There are people who hate gays, Christian, whites, blacks, males, females.

But the VAST majority of people are accepting of gay people. I mean this sincerely: How do you get from that into a "In the era of Trump, homophobia is normalized."?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Guess what? When a group of people (religious folk) try to hammer you down for decades & decades, yeah, you’re gonna finally snap & fight back.
Well, it is this intolerant "fight" which is making the gay community look like the bad guys and is causing them to lose support as the poll shows.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Default Millennial support for LGBTQ+ is on the decline ...

It’s from the second part of this article about halfway in.

Andrew Sullivan: Democrats Are in a Bubble on Immigration

Quote:
It used to be the young that spearheaded toleration and inclusion. Now they’re suddenly bolting in the opposite direction: “The number of Americans 18 to 34 who are comfortable interacting with LGBTQ people slipped from 53 percent in 2017 to 45 percent in 2018 — the only age group to show a decline,” according to the annual [GLAAD] Accelerating Acceptance report. And that is down from 63 percent in 2016.
Kinda of shockingly actually.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:17 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,066 times
Maybe because you eventually finally get tired of having any agenda rammed down your throat 24/7.........

Old 06-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Kids are not void of critical thinking. Putting boys in girls locker rooms probably put a few off.
Absurd school policy certainly shaped my thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies