Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief....An air conditioner simply moves heat from one place to another....It doesn't create cooler air.
Umm, I am pretty sure he was joking.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:10 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Thats like asking why people don’t simply open their drains during a major flood..

Yep- that seems like a very good idea also. You should bring that up to the Army Corps of Engineers, as I don't think they have tried that in the Midwest yet.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
LOL. the only life on the planet 2.5 billion years ago were bacteria. I guess you never heard of something called a feedback loop.

Your arguments make no sense. CO2 Levels of 1600 plus would wreak havoc on all life inhabiting this planet.

We already know that current levels are having an affect on this planet's climate.

I would rather not have my descendants playing guinea pigs to your idle speculations that C02 levels in the 1600 range is not a problem. Save that for your kids.
The Jurassic period CO2 levels of over 2,000 ppm, why didn't that "wreak havoc" on dinosaurs?
https://www.livescience.com/44330-ju...n-dioxide.html

The Late Ordovician Period was also an ice age, with CO2 concentrations of 4,400 ppm, and during the Cambrian period, almost 7,000. How could an ice age happen with such high levels of CO2, and why, even at 7,000 ppm, was there no "runaway greenhouse effect?"
https://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/C...s_climate.html

Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Once again the UN are masters of stating the obvious. The rich will always use their resources to buy their way out of any disaster. Anyone would.

The extreme poor will suffer regardless of climate change, usually due to people involving themselves where they dont understand the dynamics of the problem. Like working to shut down an alleged sweatshop without considering the fact that, that shop is the only available work. Yes that means the only available income.

If there is flooding the poor will be the least prepared. An obvious fact. Just like if there is any other kind of disaster. They won't have insurance and they likely won't have means of escape. So what's different than 50 years ago?

I can only imagine how much the UN wasted on that study.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,235 times
The report isn't talking about anyone in the USA or Europe. It is talking about the 1 billion who lack clean water, the 1.6 billion who lack electricity and the 3 billion who lack adecuate sanitation. Also most of those people are malnourished.

And the reason it is going to get worse is not the made up assumptions in sea level rise and rest of fantasy. It is because the energy control and more expensive green energy is going to make their conditions worst.

It is the perfect scapegoat, climate change. Most people are oblivious of the real reasons. Keep ignoring slave wages, trade deals that destroy their weak economies, high external debt, among other types of exploitation.

Last edited by thelogo; 06-26-2019 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,248,713 times
Quote:
You cannot. Even if you reduce CO2 levels to 260 ppm CO2, the sea levels will still rise 3 meters to 14 meters. It's a scientific fact. You just have to read the peer-reviewed papers published about it, and obviously, a lot of people don't want to know the truth.
I just tried to fact check this.. could not find anything to back this up. Someone must agree with you so should be easy to find something. I would like to know the truth..

Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yep- that seems like a very good idea also. You should bring that up to the Army Corps of Engineers, as I don't think they have tried that in the Midwest yet.
LOL!

And these idiots vote.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There are plenty of cheap houses here in the uplands of New York State. No need to be rich to escape the heat and rising seas.
Just to pay New York taxes...

Old 06-27-2019, 12:14 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,248,713 times
Quote:
The game plan is total control, so naturally they will lie and make false claims.
LOL..

Following this forum at all, you can see there is some deception going on but who has been deceived? interesting to look at motives. That report referenced in the first post looked at implications of 1.5C (and higher) global temp change and maybe provides some interesting numbers to look at.

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/
or watch the presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xdRaQM9Zsyk

How bad is 1.5C.. you will have to read all that and study things. Some countries suffer more than others, it says Canada actually comes out ahead. The report says that in order to keep the temperature increase to 1.5C, CO2 emissions would have to be limited by 45% by 2030 compared to 2010 levels.

Lets follow the money a little bit here - as is always suggested in discussions like this.

I believe the oil and gas industry in 2017 just in the US was something like 135 billion $$. Coal depends on the year but maybe 26 billion $$.

We cant make a conclusion that reducing CO2 by 45% would reduce these industries by an exact corresponding 45% but it might be somewhat in the ballpark. Lets see... 45 percent reduction of a total of 161 B is 72 billion dollars. That report calls for net zero CO2 emissions by 2050. What would that do to the oil, gas and coal industries, all the jobs, all the investments, all the lives of the people in those industries.

Maybe you can correct me but it seems to me that there is a very strong correlation between climate change deniers and the republican party. Maybe its even 100%?? It sure does look like someone has been deceived but who? And why that somewhat odd grouping?

So is it the IPCC (a bunch of scientist) with a budget of just under 9 million in 2019 who are deceiving us and are proposing that we need to do something that would likely be very costly, maybe even keep us in a very long recession to actually implement and it kind of looks like a serious blow to one of the largest industries on the planet. Maybe even something near impossible with this many people on the planet? The scientist want total control?

Or.. is the oil gas and coal industry fighting back a potential huge decimation of their industry with marketing to discredit the science? That marketing targeted conservative types and it was successful?

Just conspiracy theories.. One of them makes way more sense to me.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...try-in-the-us/
https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-t...al-mining.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_industry
IPCC budget https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...and_Budget.pdf

Old 06-27-2019, 12:24 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...and the fact the population of Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador

has increased from ~9 million in 1960....to over 34 million now

that has nothing to do with "crop failures" and "drought"
Increased population means increased vulnerability to some form of food insecurity. Experts say that alongside those factors, climate change in the region is exacerbating – and sometimes causing – a miasma of other problems including crop failures and poverty.

Crop failures and drought will have a greater impact on a region where resources are already limited due to rapid population increases which are not matched by greater agricultural productivity. From The Guardian:

“The focus on violence is eclipsing the big picture – which is that people are saying they are moving because of some version of food insecurity,” said Robert Albro, a researcher at the Center for Latin American and Latino Studies at American University.

“The main reason people are moving is because they don’t have anything to eat. This has a strong link to climate change – we are seeing tremendous climate instability that is radically changing food security in the region.”

Migrants don’t often specifically mention “climate change” as a motivating factor for leaving because the concept is so abstract and long-term, Albro said. But people in the region who depend on small farms are painfully aware of changes to weather patterns that can ruin crops and decimate incomes.

Jesús Canan, a member of one of the Central American migrant caravans, described how he used to sow maize and beans on a hectare of land near the ancient Copán ruins in western Honduras.

An indigenous Ch’orti’ Maya, Canan abandoned his lands this year after repeated crop failures – which he attributed to drought and changing weather patterns.

“It didn’t rain this year. Last year it didn’t rain,” he said softly. “My maize field didn’t produce a thing. With my expenses, everything we invested, we didn’t have any earnings. There was no harvest.”

“It wasn’t the same before. This is forcing us to emigrate,” Canan said. “In past years, it rained on time. My plants produced, but there’s no longer any pattern [to the weather].”

The migrant crisis has more than one cause. The mix of gang violence, extortion, extreme poverty and a changing climate are an especially diabolical combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies