Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I find any law suit pertaining to the" citizen" question, contradicts what is printed in the constitution.
Here is the exact quote, and it gives the commerce Secretary the discretion as to what is put into, and how the census is carried out.
How can any court not rule in favor of the constitution?
Here is the exact wording, pertaining to the census, as it related to the commerce secretary.

"In order to apportion congressional representatives among the States,
the Constitution requires an “Enumeration” of the population every
10 years, to be made “in such Manner” as Congress “shall by Law direct,” Art. I, §2, cl. 3; Amdt. 14, §2. In the Census Act, Congress delegated to the Secretary of Commerce the task of conducting the decennial census “in such form and content as he may determine.”

I understand that to mean the commerce secretary CAN include the word "citizen" into the census, if "he determines" it should be included in the census.
Is there something I am missing here?

Bob.
They could have included it if they hadn't decided to politicize it. They brought the lawsuit based upon someone with no standing. They said it was used to determine voting issues. Illegals do not vote so it was a non point with the court.

I do not like when they rule like that BUT it's how they practically always rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 03:02 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The Court got it right here. Including a citizenship question will jeopardize the effectiveness of the census. There has to be a better purpose than the one provided.

What is the purpose of ignoring whether or not someone is an American citizen when conducting a census?

Is there a constructive reason to bury your head in the sand?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:09 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What is the purpose of ignoring whether or not someone is an American citizen when conducting a census?

Is there a constructive reason to bury your head in the sand?
The purpose of the census is, first, to ascertain how many individuals are living in the U.S. and its particular regions, cities, towns etc. That information is used in a variety of ways and needs to be as accurate as possible. When you place a citizenship question on the census, those who are illegal may be less likely to respond, which leads to inaccurate results.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The purpose of the census is, first, to ascertain how many individuals are living in the U.S. and its particular regions, cities, towns etc. That information is used in a variety of ways and needs to be as accurate as possible. When you place a citizenship question on the census, those who are illegal may be less likely to respond, which leads to inaccurate results.

"Used in a variety of ways"

Yes........

Like assigning how many electoral votes a state gets.

Which is why the Left is so hot to preserve the status quo.

They want Illegal immigants to be counted equal as American citizens.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Yes........

“Variety” does not mean one. Furthermore, do you understand the Court’s ruling?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Yes........

As noted above the Constitution requires a Enumeration” of the population every 10 years . It makes no distinction.

If you do not like that, change it.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As noted above the Constitution requires a Enumeration” of the population every 10 years . It makes no distinction.

Exactly. Reading is so fundamental.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:35 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:

So why not simply go back to just ONE question -- how many people live at this address? -- and leave it at that? Personally, however, I think age is also important to list -- but not much else. (Although I do admit that other factors were very interesting to me when we were researching a town for our retirement home.)

However, if only citizens are eligible to vote, then the citizenship question IS important, imo.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
So why not simply go back to just ONE question -- how many people live at this address? -- and leave it at that? Personally, however, I think age is also important to list -- but not much else. (Although I do admit that other factors were very interesting to me when we were researching a town for our retirement home.)

However, if only citizens are eligible to vote, then the citizenship question IS important, imo.
A question on a questionnaire does nothing about that.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:49 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
A question on a questionnaire does nothing about that.
Thanks for pointing that out!

I had mistakenly thought that the number of Representatives an area is entitled to depends on the number of people in that area who are eligible to vote. However, I looked it up, and I was wrong -- it is dependent on just the number of people an area has -- age and citizenship does NOT matter.

So, if people want representation in the House of Representatives that is fair, they should make sure that every person in their household is counted. (But then that brings up the question as far as how many people in the household are "just visiting", meaning no permanent residents, and how that would affect the "official" count.)

P.S. On Edit: Here is a long but interesting article that highlights some of the major issues of this controversy. It is from 2005, but the points it makes are still relevant.

https://cis.org/Testimony/Impact-Non...-Apportionment

Last edited by katharsis; 06-27-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies