Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:07 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Outrageous to me too. While she started the fight, she didn't have a gun. The other person shouldn't have had a gun to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Still, in a civilized country, you don't take out a gun and shoot somebody. Most people have cell phones and would have called the police. Or, since she was in front of a store, go inside the store and get help. Call the police from there. You don't take the law into your own hands. It does sound like the pregnant woman was a nutcase but I think there must have been a smarter way to handle this. No one takes a gun out and shoots someone and then gets off free. I suppose if she had killed both the nutcase pregnant woman and the fetus, she would have still been innocent?
Agree. Why did she use a gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I'm wondering if the woman shooting in "self defense" intentionally shot at the woman's stomach? Apparently, it was a fight over the baby's father. Was it an "accident" or bad aim that she shot her in the stomach (at the baby)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Maybe, the only good that can from this, is we can prosecute parents who kill their children by leaving them in hot cars.

Relative to the Mom in this case - shooting her in the stomach was deliberate and probably NOT in self-defense because the shooter knew she was pregnant.
Good point. She could have wanted the baby dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You said:

So Jemison was already in her car? And then she got a gun?

How was she still in physical danger when she was in her car?

Further, later articles state that Jones was shot five times in the abdomen.

Five times. Jemison emptied her revolver into Jones' belly.

And I have yet to read anywhere that Jones was ever actually "throwing hands."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, if she had bad aim, then she had it five times. Interesting that she managed to shoot the other woman in the stomach FIVE times. Oh, and the shooter was involved with the baby's daddy as well. Go figure.
Great points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 02:28 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The other person shouldn't have had a gun to begin with.
Why not? Alabama is a stand your ground state and, according to this link, there isn't much in the way of regulation for ownership.

https://www.usacarry.com/alabama_sta...trine_law.html

Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most of us didn't know that, how's she supposed
to know that? And who is thinking clearly after they've just been shot?

And the idiot who shot her, shot her FIVE times. And after the idiot was safely in a truck. Went back with a gun and intentionally shot her.

The shooter should be in jail. But this is Alabama so Stupidity rules.
I'm surprised that a mod on the forum would openly bash and judge an entire state's population based on the actions of one person. If only half of the people on this forum actually spent some time in Alabama your perception would likely change.

The media does a wonderful job at pushing stereotypes and getting others to believe them. But nonetheless, if this is the attitude that some have of our state we're probably better off without you.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'm surprised that a mod on the forum would openly bash and judge an entire state's population based on the actions of one person. If only half of the people on this forum actually spent some time in Alabama your perception would likely change.

The media does a wonderful job at pushing stereotypes and getting others to believe them. But nonetheless, if this is the attitude that some have of our state we're probably better off without you.

I agree that Alabamans as a whole are not the kind of people that the stereotypes would imply, but when it comes to Alabaman lawmakers I unfortunately cannot say the same (particularly on social issues like this). I believe that it's the state's lawmakers and criminal justice system which he was referring to.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I agree that Alabamans as a whole are not the kind of people that the stereotypes would imply, but when it comes to Alabaman lawmakers I unfortunately cannot say the same (particularly on social issues like this). I believe that it's the state's lawmakers and criminal justice system which he was referring to.
I'm a She. I know some things about Alabama because I have a really good email friend who lives there. She doesn't agree with this craziness that's going on at all. It's the state government (as stated above) that is backwards but there are also a lot of people in the state that would go along with this outrage against women.

I have another email friend who recently vacationed on Alabama's beautiful beaches but will not go again because they ran into too many people who were backwards thinking like this.

I know it's not every single person in the entire state of Alabama. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:31 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:

She’s talking about your legislators and laws, not the people of Alabama.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Just treat it as a do it yourself abortion, and mom is then in the clear

Old 07-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Outrageous to me too. While she started the fight, she didn't have a gun. The other person shouldn't have had a gun to begin with.

Agree. Why did she use a gun?

Good point. She could have wanted the baby dead.

Great points

You need to go back and read the Buzzfeed article. It negates pretty much all this discussion.

And THAT is the problem with incorrect media stories. Once they're out, it's like toothpaste out of the tube, you can't put it back in.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:37 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Im stunned at how different the buzzfeed story is than the other one. I tried to search and find more info but I cant find anywhere that she discharged her weapon 5 times or that the woman was struck 5 times. The buzzfeed article says it was a ricochet because she fired at the ground to disperse a group a women brought to jump her, presumably. Thus she DID NOT shoot at the woman which is why she isn't being charged.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Im stunned at how different the buzzfeed story is than the other one. I tried to search and find more info but I cant find anywhere that she discharged her weapon 5 times or that the woman was struck 5 times. The buzzfeed article says it was a ricochet because she fired at the ground to disperse a group a women brought to jump her, presumably. Thus she DID NOT shoot at the woman which is why she isn't being charged.
I don't know the details of Alabama law, but in Texas, firing at the ground would be reckless endangerment, and if someone was killed by that bullet, it would be manslaughter.

If you need to release a bullet in Texas in self defense, the only permissible direction is at the person you're defending yourself against. Deliberately firing a bullet in any other direction is reckless endangerment.

And if you can afford not to fire the bullet at the person who is threatening you, then it must not really be a threat--firing warning shots weakens the self-defense case.

Also: Why are we necessarily believing Buzzfeed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies