Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:54 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

I could see this tipping the country into a full revolution. Maybe not a shooting war but states pulling back and refusing federal laws. It could be the first step in the dissolution of the United States. It may take 20 years but I think once it's started there would be no stopping it.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:54 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I don't believe you will have a court system or Congressional power to stop executive orders in the future at our current course. We have seeded too much power to the executive and continue to give more every year and administration.

Giving a single office power over all other branches leads in ineffective powers to stop that single office, hence why we have such a large congress comparatively per our founders. Unfortunately our congress only cares about jobs after public office or deals with buddies back home. And we keep voting them back in.

Everyone says "The people with stand up", I'm looking around and I don't see many people standing up or fighting against Executive branch power. Seems people only fight when "Their person" is not in office. Anyone holding that seat is a threat when you have absolute power at your hands.
Obviously you also don't understand what the purpose of the 2nd amendment is.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:57 AM

78,412 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s a very real possibility that the next Democrat President will try to take away guns by EO. They basically said this at the debate. What will be the response? Acquiescence? Ignoring? Resistance?
You have a severe disconnect going on between an utterly empty promise and it being a "very real possibility".

If anything, you should be happy. Those kind of soundbites are what they're going to play in the commercials for any tightly contested senate seat in states like SD, MT, ID, NE etc.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:02 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you want your guy to be a dictator don’t be surprised when somebody from the other party gets elected (and it will happen someday) and they use that power in ways you don’t like.
Which is exactly what I said to every liberal who just laughed their arses off whenever Obama used EO, phone and pen to get around a GOP House and Senate who didn't give him his way.

Eventually, your guy won't be in power, and all this stuff that you think is so awesome won't be nearly as cool and funny as you think it is now.

To the credit of the feckless weasels in Congress, it's one reason they tend to not do stuff that is that extreme, because eventually, it will come back to bite them on the arse. Look no further than Obama's EOs being overturned by Trump, McConnell taking Reid's dismissal of the filibuster and running with it, etc. When Obama and Reid were just running roughshod on the GOP, it was hailed as "getting things done", except whoops, they both got bounced and now the GOP gets to play by the same rules, and it is a heckuva lot less funny and cool than it used to be.

And if in some hypothetical future a President Kamala decided to actually make good on such a draconian, tyrannical EO like that, holy crap would the next GOP president after her take that ball ad charge down the field with it. And they all know it.

Both parties should always take note about petards they may indeed by hoisted upon someday.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Let's say Booker or Harris wins the Presidency and signs the EO on their first day.

Immediately half the states would proclaim gun rights will always be honored within their borders. Maybe more than half the states.

Then the President would do what they do, exert pressure. States push back and get a lot of headlines doing so. Then coalition of states would form.

It would be a sad time and the end days for this nation. Gun rights are a part of what makes an American an American. May as well tear it down if you mess with the Bill of Rights.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Perhaps but... Have you seen the whacky 20 in the primary field thus far?

You are over generalizing my post.

If you plan on going on internet forums and making all sorts of internet threats while actually sitting in your computer room (often a basement), then yes.

You dont know someone like above? cmon, I know 2 of them. Used to work with one who was complete with with short blonde hair and Nazi sympathies and a love affair with guns.. He was a true walking stereotype. Lots of big talk. Loser lost his job when overheard by management. The other is the other extreme. Dark haired neckbeard with lots of big talk. Hangs around in his basement trolling sites like Red State. Not a Nazi tho and it is his basement, not his moms.

I had 4 guns. Two .22 rifles and 2 10 gauge shotguns. Had to give them to my father when my son was diagnosed with ADHD. My son gets into stuff and guns are a bad idea because of it. My father, thinking they were his, forgot they were mine and sold them. I miss the rifles. one was crappy but it was what I plinked cans with as a kid, the other was nice. Dont miss the crappy 10 ga blunderbuss shotguns.

And get gunned down from 2 miles away by an Army helicopter.

Wont happen anyway.
2nd amendment and I really only see Ginsburg and Sotomoyer as cracks in the 2nd amendment.
Your assumption is that the Army would go against their oath and potentially shoot their family's....I for one don't think that will happen............

Old 06-28-2019, 09:34 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
What will happen when guns are taken by executive order

Guns will remove executive order !!!

Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Democrats can SAY they will take legally owned guns by EO, but they CAN NOT. It would never hold up under court review. Never. If it does it will be a huge feces show. They know that. They are just grandstanding and pandering.
"The Democrats can SAY they will take legally owned guns by EO, but they CAN NOT."

Tell that to the people who had their guns taken away right after Katrina.

After the courts ruled it was ILLEGAL, the guns were NOT returned became all were destroyed.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The current debate relates to certain rapid fire weapons and not all guns.

Nobody is even suggesting a ban on most types of guns, an such a ban would not be in keeping with the US Cobstitution and would be challenged in the Supreme Court.
The very gun involved in the SCOTUS Heller decision was a semi-automatic. They are protected by the second amendment.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s a very real possibility that the next Democrat President will try to take away guns by EO. They basically said this at the debate. What will be the response? Acquiescence? Ignoring? Resistance?
It's not a very real possibility. It's a silly, fear-motivated fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies