Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:13 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The article says this guy has been seen by therapists for quite awhile and was to be screened for paranoid schizophrenia a few months before the shooting. How come nobody is talking about that?
Doesn't fit the narrative that poor people are evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
So he killed someone; it's not like he said anything racist or sexist.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
With a Princeton degree he easily could have found a nice, cushy job. Now he can utilize that degree at a state run facility for the next 30-50 years.
He couldn’t get a nice cushy job because, based on what was testified, he probably is insane. It is textbook early adulthood onset schizophrenia. However, just because someone is insane doesn’t mean they can’t be found guilty. His actions indicate he knew what he did was wrong, meaning an insanity defense is not supposed to work. Regardless of what kind of facility, the guy needs to be locked up.

We need to end the blanket prohibition of forced medication of the mentally ill. There are cases where the courts should be able to mandate it.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I heard once that the average prison term for murder is 4 years. Time actually served, not counting probation, time off for "good behavior" etc.

Anyone know if that's true?
This source claims 15 years.

https://thecrimereport.org/2018/11/3...2-6-years-bjs/

Don’t think there is such a thing as an average murder.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:57 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This is what happens when adults get used to receiving that which they have not earned and the source of the largesse dries up or cuts benefits. The "entitled" get angry, belligerent, and even murderous that their "freebies" were cut or significantly reduced.

How many times have we been warned in this very forum that those on public assistance would turn to crime if their public assistance benefits were eliminated/cut and would attack and harm the rest of us to take what they had been accustomed to getting for free? Many times.

Wow. You don't even know me. At all. Yet you somehow "know" that I'd hurt you or someone else if my SSI or EBT or Medicaid were cut. How exactly do you know this, without knowing anything about me? And why, without knowing me at all, would you say something like that about me? If you're going to slander me, I think I have the right to know why.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Wow. You don't even know me. At all. Yet you somehow "know" that I'd hurt you or someone else if my SSI or EBT or Medicaid were cut. How exactly do you know this, without knowing anything about me? And why, without knowing me at all, would you say something like that about me? If you're going to slander me, I think I have the right to know why.
Most people actually feel bad about arguing that people who are down on their luck should be left to their own devices. There a few millennia's worth of conditioning to overcome before you can say "I don't care if that guy freezes in the gutter".

But if you can equate them to spoiled millionaire brats in your mind, then they're bad people who you can ignore without any sort of twinge to your conscience. Which is the point of the exercise.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:21 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Most people actually feel bad about arguing that people who are down on their luck should be left to their own devices. There a few millennia's worth of conditioning to overcome before you can say "I don't care if that guy freezes in the gutter".

But if you can equate them to spoiled millionaire brats in your mind, then they're bad people who you can ignore without any sort of twinge to your conscience. Which is the point of the exercise.

Thanks Dane. I know what they are doing. I just can't understand why.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:01 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

My SSI was cut and I haven't killed anyone yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies