Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
You can't make this stuff up.
Funny, because "Bicycles are now considered RACIST" is completely made up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny, because "Bicycles are now considered RACIST" is completely made up.
good catch!

Quote:
The College Fix is an American libertarian-conservative news website focused on higher education. It was created in 2011 by journalist John J. Miller and is published by the non-profit Student Free Press Association. The site features "right-minded news and commentary"[1] and often attacks what it describes as "political correctness"

The SFPA and The College Fix are designed "to groom young conservatives for careers in the news media by placing college students in internships with right-leaning publications."[2] Miller had long desired "to help other conservative and libertarian campus journalists" and The Fix gives them a platform where they will get "more attention than from just the campus level."[3]

In February 2017 Inside Higher Ed probed whether The Fix had failed to disclose its relationship to the son of Betsy DeVos, weeks before her appointment as the U.S. Secretary of Education. As early as 2015 Rick DeVos had served as a board member of the Student Free Press Association, though this relationship was not disclosed in the site's coverage of DeVos.[1] Days after the report John Miller apologized and took blame for the oversight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_College_Fix

Old 07-01-2019, 09:39 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think that's what they are trying to say. I live in Sacramento County and most of the county is unincorporated. You only find bike lanes and bike paths in the wealthier neighborhoods or incorporated areas. Elsewhere unless it's a new subdivision there are very few bike lanes/paths and no sidewalks or street lights. We also have major streets with no traffic control where the average speed is 50 mph. I don't live in a poor neighborhood but it's older and adjacent to a major thoroughfare. I fear for my life going for a walk and having cars speeding past 18" away. I would never let my grandkids ride bikes in the area.

I don't see it as having anything to do with race, but rather money. The people in toney neighborhoods have the connections and money necessary to get the board of supervisors to make their neighborhoods 'bike and pedestrian friendly' while those who live in poor parts of the county are basically ignored - if they actually bother to complain.
This mobility "inequity" probably affects more white people in the US than minorities. Yet somehow they turn it on universal White people, even poor ones who have the same issues.

Things are so bad in my old neighborhood where many of the same families still live, that cars are regularly driving off the road at high speed crashing into houses, poles and cars parked in driveways. Some are hit and runs. The city digs up the road for utility work and leaves sloppy potholes. My friend that lives there does not know if a pole or a pothole was hit, because the bang-boom sound is the same and goes on day and night. Trees on the utility right of way are leaning into electrical wires and the power company will not remove them or takes several years to do so. City does nothing. One of the trees fell on a moving car on a calm afternoon, if two seconds difference, driver would have been killed. This is not a minority area, but not a wealthy one. Still, property taxes are quite high. There IS apathy among residents, many are older. I called the road dept for my elderly friend to complain about speed and potholes, and some manager guy with bad grammar got testy with me.

I feel no real sympathy that some minority neighborhood doesn't have bike lanes, when there are residential areas like above, basically a 24/7 death zone, where it is unsafe to be in the front yard or a front room inside the house.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This mobility "inequity" probably affects more white people in the US than minorities. Yet somehow they turn it on universal White people, even poor ones who have the same issues.

Things are so bad in my old neighborhood where many of the same families still live, that cars are regularly driving off the road at high speed crashing into houses, poles and cars parked in driveways. Some are hit and runs. The city digs up the road for utility work and leaves sloppy potholes. My friend that lives there does not know if a pole or a pothole was hit, because the bang-boom sound is the same and goes on day and night. Trees on the utility right of way are leaning into electrical wires and the power company will not remove them or takes several years to do so. City does nothing. One of the trees fell on a moving car on a calm afternoon, if two seconds difference, driver would have been killed. This is not a minority area, but not a wealthy one. Still, property taxes are quite high. There IS apathy among residents, many are older. I called the road dept for my elderly friend to complain about speed and potholes, and some manager guy with bad grammar got testy with me.

I feel no real sympathy that some minority neighborhood doesn't have bike lanes, when there are residential areas like above, basically a 24/7 death zone, where it is unsafe to be in the front yard or a front room inside the house.
I agree it's not a racial issue, or shouldn't be..but honestly this 'seminar' is a nothing burger and will have zero impact on any transportation decisions made in the state, the site it is on just trolls obscure stuff like that to make it sound like it's a big deal or something that all liberals agree with, and it's neither.

At least here the board of supervisors approve all infrastructure projects and for whatever reason the sidewalks, bike lanes and street lights always go to the wealthy part of the county. However since most of the budget this year is going to pay lawsuits regarding the Sheriff's Dept I doubt if anyone will even see a pothole filled until 2021.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:15 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Well here goes. I'm a triathlete and I race rather expensive high end bicycles. I put in a couple of hundred miles per week. That said, some of the very worst roads to ride are in very wealthy areas like La Jolla, Pacific Beach and Point Loma. These are usually some of the older parts of the city too. Much of the older parts of the city have streets that aren't wide enough for bike lanes. The nice bike lanes are in areas like N County here which are much newer neighborhoods.

I'm also not white so that angle just doesn't add up. I see ten old beater beach cruisers riding for every top end bicycle. Now granted, I do see mostly white people on higher end rigs but since our local makeup is mostly white people that only makes sense.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I read four paragraphs and never saw anything about bicycles.
Bikes are mentioned in paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.....I stopped looking at that point.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
good catch!
Meh, pointing out that rightwing college publications are dishonest is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
I think I recall kayaking being targeted as racist/appropriation not too long ago.

You look up the "stuff white people like" list, pick something on it, and label it white supremacist and colonialist because that is what SJWs do.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I think I recall kayaking being targeted as racist/appropriation not too long ago.

You look up the "stuff white people like" list, pick something on it, and label it white supremacist and colonialist because that is what SJWs do.
Funny, because the seminar mentioned in the article does no such thing.

Ah well, conservatives.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I don't think this topic has much to do with "SJWs". A group at UC Davis decided to have a symposium discuss "mobility justice", I doubt if the "SJWs" will be there in large numbers The event was posted by a right wing group on their website to get people all riled up and given your reaction it appears to have worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies