Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 01:20 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Exactly. I think its normal for women to have fears and worries about bringing children into the world. Environmental factors are not a far fetched concern. I remember the same line of thinking in the '60s early '70's when we began to worry about pollution and over population.
So fear of climate change might be a bit extreme but the mom/grandma mind where our mind goes. My grandkids get aggravated with me because if they are a few minutes late I imagine they wrecked and are lying in a ditch, if they dont come out of their room I'm banging on the door because my mind goes to they have been laying there dead for hours and I didnt know.
The struggle is real.
The worst case scenario plays in my head also seems at least once a day.

I remember my ailing 92 year old mother still worried about one of my wayward brothers and asking all of us to look out for him. It never ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 01:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The worst case scenario plays in my head also seems at least once a day.

I remember my ailing 92 year old mother still worried about one of my wayward brothers and asking all of us to look out for him. It never ends.
This is a major reason I don't want kids...my husband and I would be absolute worrywarts and it would probably drive the kid crazy.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:36 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is a major reason I don't want kids...my husband and I would be absolute worrywarts and it would probably drive the kid crazy.
I envy people who have no one but themselves to worry about.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Oldest reasons in the book. I have 5 kids and the worry never ends. Then the grandkids come along...
You got that right. My kids are in their 30s and I still worry about them. Which is why I'm perfectly fine about not having grandkids to add to my worry.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The very definition of snowflakes.

But hey, one less person on this planet means less of Earth's resources used, waste generated, etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/children-...094500565.html
Why is not wanting to bring children into a world that is going to suffer (and in many parts already suffering) catastrophic climate change being a snowflake? I think it's extremely unselfish. Have you seen the effects of climate change that is going on around the world? The droughts, dying crops, etc. You think the migrant crisis is bad now.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Why is not wanting to bring children into a world that is going to suffer (and in many parts already suffering) catastrophic climate change being a snowflake? I think it's extremely unselfish. Have you seen the effects of climate change that is going on around the world? The droughts, dying crops, etc. You think the migrant crisis is bad now.
I would never judge someone else’s decisions when it comes to children. I’m not as worried about forces of nature in the world as much as the lack of faith in God. The world is going to become a savage place without the grace of God.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Our species has survived dramatic climate change (in both directions) for the last 200,000 years, and has proven adept at living in environments as varied as the Sahara Desert, the Arctic Circle, and the Amazon Jungle. I suspect that whatever change does or doesn't come in the climate in the next 100 years, humankind will adapt. There's plenty of middle ground where one can believe in climate change, but isn't irrationally concerned that their potential offspring would be destined to misery because of it.

All really good points except for one thing that wasn't taken into consideration. All those other people who adapted to all those different climate changes and environments weren't living on a planet with a population of 8 billion people all competing with each other for the same resources. And not all of them adapted and survived, only the very fittest and most intelligent of them survived. That was a very small number.

So it doesn't matter about how the people of the past managed because they weren't dealing with the same kind of conditions and numbers to compete with. Today, extreme climate change is happening again and with around 8 billion people the only people who are going to adapt to the kind of climate changes happening now and in the future are still going to be only the very fittest and most intelligent of people, and that number is less than 2% of today's total world population.

There is no guarantee and no way to ensure that any children that any woman produces are going to be highly fit and intelligent enough to qualify as part of the 2% of survivors. That means there are going to be several billions of not fit enough and not intelligent enough people destined to misery and early death as extreme climate change progresses and defeats them. Humanity will be fortunate if in the long run even 10% of the world's total population manages to survive to start over again.

I can understand why more and more people would be feeling reluctant about bringing more babies into the world today with future prospects like that to deal with.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:08 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
The Omnipotent Intelligence is healing the earth.
The fertility rate world wide has decreased. Soon it will be so low that our extinction will be inevitable.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The Omnipotent Intelligence is healing the earth.
The fertility rate world wide has decreased. Soon it will be so low that our extinction will be inevitable.
I guess abortion won’t be a thing with liberals soon then.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The welfare system and other programs have spawned what I call " Vocational Procreation". Having kids as a means to support yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies