Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times

Advertisements

America is a gun-loving country and we friggin love violence.

You can't ask American cops to keep the peace using policing-style of say....Japan or Scandinavia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:20 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
America is a gun-loving country and we friggin love violence.

You can't ask American cops to keep the peace using policing-style of say....Japan or Scandinavia
While Japan hardly has any guns in the country, even the metropolitan officers there aside from the Japan paramilitary police rarely bother to carry their weapons as they really don't need them and they are almost never used within Japan, Karate judo skills more than suffice. Scandinavia, however, has high guns per capita ratios similar to the US yet they manage to live civilly. Iceland as well yet officers rarely carry their weapon. That lonely isolated suicide by cop incident pretty much devastated Iceland.

Interestingly though there are plenty of countries in between that may also suffer from violence from citizens yet manage to keep law and order in a professional manner. Particularly those working the "face" of the country.

Interesting one poster talks about it should be optional for police to respond to Democrat supporters.It appears again under SCOTUS police has no duty to protect any individual in this country regardless of their political preference So be careful what you wish for.,
I do notice that Democrat lobbyists and politicians seem to think they must legislate their way towards utopia or dystopia to be exact thus their ought to be a law that criminalizes not making a wedding cake for a same sex marriage(NOTE I am neutral on this topic), giving out a straw or plastic bag and providing good customer service, letting kids be kids without legislating each parental choice and calling CPS to enforce it. But republican lobbyists and politicans can be equally bad just in different ways. All these excess legislation regardless of which party it came from would get on a cops nerves if they are pressured to enforce them and result in nasty run-ins with citizens. Like people cannot live life without being in fear of their choice anymore. Please look at this https://www.econlib.org/three-felonies-a-day/ And maybe countless misdemeanors a day as well just for living and breathing these days.
But you get away with murder, assault, grand theft, if you have the government in your back. The agents that falsely arrested the writer also committed grand theft by keeping his coat, rental car, and luggage after he was released from custody when there was clearly no contraband, humans, nor weapons(guns) within it and that he was legally in the country. The nightmare continues if the rental companies bills him the cost to buy them a whole rental car if the US doesn't give it back. I believe if this was a lady traveling solo they would have sexually assaulted if not raped her as well, and the local police won't dare to offer help. Yet I bet cop supporters would say coorporate and let them rape than sue them in court later. Though based on the history books its not like the courts would do much good either regardless of evidence even video evidence.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-03-2019 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
While Japan hardly has any guns in the country, even the metropolitan officers there aside from the Japan paramilitary police rarely bother to carry their weapons as they really don't need them and they are almost never used within Japan, Karate judo skills more than suffice. Scandinavia, however, has high guns per capita ratios similar to the US yet they manage to live civilly. Iceland as well yet officers rarely carry their weapon. That lonely isolated suicide by cop incident pretty much devastated Iceland.

Interestingly though there are plenty of countries in between that may also suffer from violence from citizens yet manage to keep law and order in a professional manner.

Interesting one poster talks about it should be optional for police to respond to Democrat supporters.It appears again under SCOTUS police has no duty to protect any individual in this country regardless of their political preference So be careful what you wish for.,
I do notice that Democrat lobbyists and politicians seem to think they must legislate their way towards utopia or dystopia to be exact thus their ought to be a law that criminalizes not making a wedding cake for a same sex marriage(NOTE I am neutral on this topic), giving out a straw or plastic bag and providing good customer service, letting kids be kids without legislating each parental choice and calling CPS to enforce it.

But republican lobbyists and politicans can be equally bad just in different ways. All these excess legislation regardless of which party it came from would get on a cops nerves if they are pressured to enforce them and result in nasty run-ins with citizens. Like people cannot live life without being in fear of their choice anymore. Please look at this https://www.econlib.org/three-felonies-a-day/ And maybe countless misdemeanors a day as well just for living and breathing these days.
But you get away with murder, assault, grand theft, if you have the government in your back. The agents that falsely arrested the writer also committed grand theft by keeping his coat, rental car, and luggage after he was released from custody when there was clearly no contraband nor weapons within it. The nightmare continues if the rental companies bills him the cost to buy them a whole rental car if the US doesn't give it back. I believe if this was a lady traveling solo they would have sexually assaulted if not raped her as well, and the local police won't dare to offer help. Yet I bet cop supporters would say coorporate and let them rape than sue them in court later.
As a civilian my arsenal includes: ak74, 2 x ar15, ak47, mossberg cruiser shotgun, savage .380 bolt action rifle with a scope, and probably a dozen of handguns of different caliber. I also have 2000 rounds of ammo of different caliber. All my rifles are equipped with 20 and 30 round magazines.

You are telling me people in Scandinavia can legally own those weapon?

Also, how's the gun- related homicide in Scandinavia?

Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Here are some articles I find online,
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...n-finland.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/i...s-2007-n872726
Its hard to imagine there was no gun-related deaths since 2007 aside of the sucide by cop incident in 2013 which was the first of its kind as Interestingly though many cops Iceland as with in Japan, UK, and parts of Europe hardly even carry their guns they have access to on routine assignments. I don't know if all your guns are legal in those countries, Though it appears Icelanders can and many of them do collect guns of many different types. I be curious is it because the caliber of guns are limited or bullets are not so lethal in Iceland and other parts of Scandinavia explaining the lack of gun deaths? The most interesting thing I learned is that most murders shun guns in favor of other weapons in these countries. Iceland is unique being a country in the world having a high civilian gun ownership rate yet having a low ratio of armed police on the street at any given moment.

Though guns or no guns obviously as I mentioned above its the justice system or lack of justice that's scary. Doesn't even have to involve guns in either side. Even if guns disappear from the US tomorrow. I don't think incidents like what happened to the SF writer would decrease at all. The writer wasn't packing heat and the agents did not draw their weapons nor were guns involved int the nurse incident. Though whats different is that police in the US can adopt the Tactical Pursuit And Containment (TPAC) used in much of the world. Nowadays officers have to let situation escalate until they either can get a clear shot or do a PIT manuever in fear of getting shot from behind as police would never get infront of a suspect and not facing him in the US due to the risks of being shot from behind.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-03-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 12:33 PM

I would be curious any readers outraged at the stories I posted? Where officers that are sworn to upheld the constitution and rule of law end up abusing their badge especially in law abiding citizens?

Old 07-04-2019, 01:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
As long as the gun thing is not fixed, Blue will have to continue to assume they are likely to get shot....and therefore be armed up and protected and ready to defend.

This one is hardly up for debate. It could never be that the Blues should be more lightly armed than the threats they (and we) face.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As long as the gun thing is not fixed, Blue will have to continue to assume they are likely to get shot....and therefore be armed up and protected and ready to defend.

This one is hardly up for debate. It could never be that the Blues should be more lightly armed than the threats they (and we) face.
It's a bit ironic that the armed populace that was supposed to be a bulwark against government oppression has led to citizens dying at the hands of law enforcement at a rate unmatched in any other Western country.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's a bit ironic that the armed populace that was supposed to be a bulwark against government oppression has led to citizens dying at the hands of law enforcement at a rate unmatched in any other Western country.
Name a western country with gun proliferation, 300+ million population, and number #1 in among the western coutries in gun violence/homicide.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Name a western country with gun proliferation, 300+ million population, and number #1 in among the western coutries in gun violence/homicide.
I think you are both making the same point!

We can discuss the politics, but as it stands we have voted for more and more violence by our failure to address these issues. Life has to be dealt with as-it-is and so someone entering that line of business (LE) has to know that the Bad Guys and even the Good Guys (who can turn bad) are often heavily armed.

Period.

It's not going to change in the next decade or two. Maybe when I rise from the dead in 50 years it will be different.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:47 PM

I be curious when the American populace and politicians say Enough is enough
We the people must not continue to stand there and do nothing.
We must upheld the constitution our founding father gave us.
We must make sure our government learns that and learn our rights to keep them in line.
We must force to reverse the antiquated doctrine of Sovereign immunity and other qualified or unqualified immunities in all levels of government that obstruct our justice system and rule of law particuarly but not limited to our Bill of Rights.

George Washington must be rolling in his grave since he passed away and the unelected Supreme court justices of the US ruled the government above the law under the antiquated doctrine of Sovereign Immunity from old English law when England was ruled by absolute Imperial power. Apparently, it was done haphazardly in a time of chaos and war when US was pressured to expand westward and needed a lot of power to do so. The widespread adoption of slavery at that time possibly also played a role. I bet their excuse was that otherwise, they wouldn't be able to expand the US that quickly should they are held accountable under each rule of law for violating the constitutional rights of Native Americans, other settlers, and African Slaves. Which sadly has not been abolished to this day leading to continous injustice. And that justices are expanding it to gun owners in general ie Stand your ground law which encourages vigiliantism.

Its not just an issue with guns, you will be surprised at the number of guns citizens own in other "western countries"
its not like those countries are like the Far east or Japan where guns are almost unknown. Nor are those western countries whether in or out of Europe homogeneous in any way they are actually very diverse and have plenty of people of African descent too. Yet it doesn't affect the civility of the people, government personnel, police officers, nor the justice system as a whole.
The nurse incident and the SF writer incident shows that no one is safe even if guns arn't involved. I severely doubt the detective behaved this way thinking the nurse may be heavily armed. And many armed and dangerous suspects had been subdued without using excessive force nor attitude.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-04-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies