Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Good grief. Lord have mercy!

Tariffs = TAXES.

The people who buy the Chinese goods are the ones paying the stupid tariffs. WE the people are the ones paying for the tariffs. China isn’t paying the tariffs!!
why the f would you want low quality Chinese goods??? are you more interested in supporting red china than the USA???

Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why the f would you want low quality Chinese goods??? are you more interested in supporting red china than the USA???
It's funny, they blame Trump for a trade war that's been going on for decades.

And then they love the environment.

But they hate Trump, so they stick up for China, the biggest polluter on the planet...

Old 07-03-2019, 11:09 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trade war is making the deficits worse. Could someone tell that to Trump. Maybe Kellyann, Putin, Kim, Stormy, or someone he else might actually listen to.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...oar/ar-AADNzCU

The goods trade deficit with China, a focus of President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda, increased 12.2% to $30.2 billion, with imports rising 12.8%. Trump recently raised additional import tariffs on Chinese goods, prompting Beijing to retaliate.

The old advice about getting a mule to do something, first you have to hit it across the head with a 2 X 4, to get its attention, applies here.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:26 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wasn't Trump's tariff war with China supposed to reduce the trade deficit, not increase it?

What happened?
You misunderstood the purpose of the tariffs.
The purpose of a tariff is to protect domestic industry from unfair competition. Never had anything to do with trade deficit.
Here. An economist will explain it to you. Note that he is able to do so without using the words "Orange" or "Liar" and will not mention Putin.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:41 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trade war is making the deficits worse. Could someone tell that to Trump. Maybe Kellyann, Putin, Kim, Stormy, or someone he else might actually listen to.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...oar/ar-AADNzCU

The goods trade deficit with China, a focus of President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda, increased 12.2% to $30.2 billion, with imports rising 12.8%. Trump recently raised additional import tariffs on Chinese goods, prompting Beijing to retaliate.
If anything, things are too good right now causing too much buying, too much commerce, yet I'm not tired of winning yet.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Trade deficits are necessary to maintain the dollar’s status as the world’s reserve currency. Those deficit dollars help fund our national debt and lead to increased capital investments here in the USA.

It’s great for consumers too.

The Republican Party, not that long ago, stood for free men, free markets and free trade.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
iPhone xr, new cars wow I must be rich!

I bought a hooded sweatshirt last year. Made in USA

Bought a couple of hammers. Made in USA.

An ironing board at Wal Mart of all places. Made in USA

Some sockets made in Taiwan. Oops but no tariffs.

I can keep going.
You can, but the fact that you are posting here means you are using a LOT of Chinese gear one way or the other......

A hammer? Ha ha.....I bought one or two of them in my lifetime.

Please - tell us how many screens you have in your house and work? This means monitors, projectors, TV's, phones, tablets and desktops? 3? 5?

Don't you own a smartphone? A car? How about all the kitchen utensils, shelves in your closets. Please - instead of picking out the sweatshirt (I own American Apparel T's myself), do a little inventory...I promise you that much of the stuff you buy comes from China.

Whether or not there are tariffs means nothing. Koreans own companies in Japan. Taiwan makes a LOT of chips that go into iPhones made in China...and so-on.

This week the enemy is China. Back during Reagans time it was Japan. Even Taiwan. In a couple years you will come up with something else. Just a few years back, the entire Right was pimping how great it was that Walmart wages and (chinese) prices were so low because it meant we could all afford "stuff".

Now, it's suddenly changed...like instantly, because an Orange Man told you something.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The purpose of a tariff is to protect domestic industry from unfair competition. Never had anything to do with trade deficit.
Here. An economist will explain it to you. Note that he is able to do so without using the words "Orange" or "Liar" and will not mention Putin.
I imported stuff from Europe for years - things that there were zero competitors in the USA making.

We paid tariffs.

Small tariffs have been part of international trade for a long time....maybe forever. Sometimes it was simply to fund various efforts (our early government, for example). Other times for different reasons.

It's rare that an Orange Man, all by himself without support from industry, government and the people, threw them around as threats day-in and day-out to create chaos and almost never let them be in force....but yet used them to screw up planning for everyone.

That's different, my friend. One of these things is not like the other.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If anything, things are too good right now causing too much buying, too much commerce, yet I'm not tired of winning yet.
So people are not buying cars, fuel or houses......but you are happy they are buying plastic shelves and lots of food (Chinese apple juice at Walmart) and everything else?

Strange....I would think that the consumer durables would be one key metric...not tupperware (ALL made in China).

Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I recommend googling Milton Friedman defense of free trade. See what the greatest economist of the modern era thought about tariffs.

And he ain’t alone economists almost universally prefer low barriers to trade. Actually there are multiple reasons to impose tariffs. None of them are good reasons.

Last edited by whogo; 07-04-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies