Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
In my opinion, people need to cut up their credit cards and live within their means. Try paying cash for things that you actually need instead of putting a 1000 dollar smart phone on a payment plan and you'll start to a) appreciate the amount of effort needed to afford items b) find more wealth c) install better habits for your offspring d) live a happier life free of debtors.
Like everything, credit cards aren’t inherently evil. It is their misuse that is the problem. I carry them because I don’t want to carry around large amounts of cash in my wallet. But I pay them off in full at the end of every month.

The interest rate on credit cards is astronomical. Anyone who carries a balance on them, is just not financially literate. There are far cheaper ways to borrow money if it is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 08:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Like everything, credit cards aren’t inherently evil. It is their misuse that is the problem. I carry them because I don’t want to carry around large amounts of cash in my wallet. But I pay them off in full at the end of every month.

The interest rate on credit cards is astronomical. Anyone who carries a balance on them, is just not financially literate. There are far cheaper ways to borrow money if it is necessary.
Unfortunately a lot of people don’t know how to properly use a credit card.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Just to set the record straight, most of these family "losers" do work. They didn't take advantage of the same opportunities I had. As a result, they were/are stuck in low paying (primarily retail) jobs. They could have gone to college or trade school.....as I did. They could have chosen to work 2 jobs....as I did. They could have moved to another area where there were/are more opportunities......as I did. They made poor decisions in their personal and financial lives. Why should there not be consequences?

By the way, there are many places in our country where $15/hr can indeed put a roof over your head and allow one to have the basics.
As a result, you must be forced to pay them to redeem your sins.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:59 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Cant pay bills. I have 2 friends that lost their jobs because of Trumps tariff BS. Just the mention of tariffs sends some businesses into a buying spree, for fear of supplies drying up. In gov. contract work, which there are thousands of contractor facilities along the coast by shipyards, you cannot just purchase whatever you want for later. Money can only be spent, when it is appropriated, on materials for projects if suppliers have anything left. Then on placing other bids for projects, you go to you second suppliers that you only use for emergencies because they can be 40% or higher on their prices, using those prices on bids, you then lose ALL bids, and people get laid off. Trump likes to throw stuff out to see what sticks, Not always a good idea.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post

By the way, there are many places in our country where $15/hr can indeed put a roof over your head and allow one to have the basics.

at $15 a hour i was able to buy a house, pay it off, pay off my two cars and have a retirement plan, it not how much you make, it how you budget your money

Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
at $15 a hour i was able to buy a house, pay it off, pay off my two cars and have a retirement plan, it not how much you make, it how you budget your money

This was me. I lived where it was cheaper to live and also no decent paying jobs, unfortunately I had to commute to work where the money was.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Cant pay bills. I have 2 friends that lost their jobs because of Trumps tariff BS. Just the mention of tariffs sends some businesses into a buying spree, for fear of supplies drying up. In gov. contract work, which there are thousands of contractor facilities along the coast by shipyards, you cannot just purchase whatever you want for later. Money can only be spent, when it is appropriated, on materials for projects if suppliers have anything left. Then on placing other bids for projects, you go to you second suppliers that you only use for emergencies because they can be 40% or higher on their prices, using those prices on bids, you then lose ALL bids, and people get laid off. Trump likes to throw stuff out to see what sticks, Not always a good idea.
Why can’t you pay bills after you lose your job?

Don’t you have ... savings?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:06 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Why not study and become the nurse instead of the aid? The aid is not supposed to make much, but it shouldn't be a permanent position.
I agree, if you want to be paid more, then you need to improve yourself and work for it.

A person starting out as a bagger at a grocery store should not be demanding the same pay as a cashier who has been there for 5 years, or a manager who has been there for 10. Want to be making that $50,000 a year the manager does? Kiss his/her butt, have him/her show you the ropes to climb to get up that ladder. It's how success is achieved.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:15 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
All store bought clothes have brand names on them. Shoes are necessities in most places. You cannot even go shopping in a store without them.
I think they mean high end brands. I used to work in a grocery store while going to college, and it was a common theme to see the welfare mama pull out her EBT card out of her Coach purse, and then we would carry her groceries she got through welfare to her brand spanking new Cadilac Escalade or Mercedes Benz. It's something I see to this day!

We also see the same types of people score big with a winning lottery ticket, or with a record contract. Instead of investing the money wisely, they blow it on big parties, huge mansions and expensive cars, and ten years later, they are washed up, broke and living in the trailer park again.

But, I squarely blame this on our education institutions. They should be doing a better job at teaching our children on how the real world works. How to invest their money properly. Funny, they show kids how to write a check, but they won't show the kids how the stock market works, or how to run a business. If you want to learn how to run a business, you have to go to college for that, when it's something they could be teaching in regular public schools.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:21 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Exactly. Credit cards are a convenience, NOT a viable method of financing wants or needs.

I use credit cards exactly the same way you do: I pay them off in full at the end of every statement period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies