Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 09:57 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The American Revolution was a military event. It seems more than appropriate to have the military involved in the celebration.
It's funny how the military theme keeps creeping into everything we do and even our holidays. Pretty soon Santa will be wearing camo. Independence Day is a peoples' holiday - not about Trump or his VIPs or the military. We have Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, Armed Forces Day, and even Patriots' Day in some places that are about military and battles. Independence Day is about celebrating the Declaration of Independence.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Had plans, didn't watch, but did read that the flyover cost a couple of million dollars, and that the Revolutionary Army had planes--who knew?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
"Stupid freak-outs" is very accurate...

Trump made his critics look small during his ‘Salute to America’

The “Resistance” warned us that if we elected an authoritarian such as Donald Trump, eventually there would be tanks in the streets of our nation’s capital. Well, on Thursday, their predictions finally came true.

Of all the stupid freak-outs we have experienced since Trump was elected, the hyperventilation over his Fourth of July address and celebration on the Mall may be the stupidest.

His critics called his decision to insert himself into the Independence Day celebrations virtually unprecedented. Sorry, but Trump is not the first U.S. president to give a major speech on the Fourth of July. Harry S. Truman once delivered an Independence Day address in front of the Washington monument. Presidents Woodrow Wilson, John F. Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush all gave Fourth of July addresses from Independence Hall in Philadelphia. And, in 1986, Ronald Reagan delivered a Fourth of July address from the deck of an aircraft carrier, the USS John F. Kennedy, strategically placed in front of the Statue of Liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This is very, very funny.

“Trump, becoming the first US president to make a 4 July address in almost 70 years, stuck to his script for once. It’s just that the script was mostly wrong.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...dependence-day

You should probably read the post above...

Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Had plans, didn't watch, but did read that the flyover cost a couple of million dollars, and that the Revolutionary Army had planes--who knew?
The Continental Army was represented, but part of the celebration is also to honor our current military who continues to KEEP us independent. Do you understand that freedom and liberty is a constant effort?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
What about he nasty things Tump and his supporters have said? You think anyone is going to forget that?
Like what specifically? Illegal Aliens are wrong for coming here? Antifa and BLM are violent terror groups? What has Trump said that isn't true?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:22 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Really? "They" - by which I assume you mean the demon rat leftists who hate everything and especially you, can't fathom the 4th of July holiday?

Now sit down, because I'm going to tell you something that might shock you. Are you ready?

This is not the first year the 4th of July was celebrated as a holiday.

I know, I know. We all think Supreme Leader Trump invented the concepts of America, Freedom, and celebration but actually, if you look it up, people have been celebrating on July 4th for like, hundreds of years. I know! Even before His Holiness was even born. (Although we all know that our lord and savior Trump is timeless, ageless, and has always been with us, inside us, knew us even before we existed. But like, before his current earthly incarnation came into being).

I, too, was shocked. Apparently even in my own town they shoot off fireworks in the first week of July. I mean, I'd seen them before, they go off right across the street. But I had always assumed it was some sort of colorful industrial accident that coincidentally happened around the same time every year. But it's not! It's a purposeful celebration.

And THIS is going to blow your mind - these celebrations? Happen, like, all over the country. In multiple cities. You can even - and this will really rock you world - you can BUY fireworks to set off YOURSELF.

It's bananas.
My, yes indeed -- the stuff of legends. We can all share stories around the campfires of our lowly hovels praising the brave men in blue who stormed the airports in 1776 to secure our freedom. We will sing praises to the Trump family and their selected elite who drove the unworthy ones from our doors. Huzzah! Huzzah! In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, we draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and we say Trump now, Trump tomorrow, Trump forever. Huzzah!
(insert sound of wild applause)

Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's funny how the military theme keeps creeping into everything we do and even our holidays. Pretty soon Santa will be wearing camo. Independence Day is a peoples' holiday - not about Trump or his VIPs or the military. We have Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, Armed Forces Day, and even Patriots' Day in some places that are about military and battles. Independence Day is about celebrating the Declaration of Independence.
Bingo.

Trump's mediocre ode to the military will, mercifully, soon be forgotten in the onslaught of news about him kowtowing to Putin, which of his staff/children are caught up in what unethical/illegal behavior, what a farce Mrs. Trump's #BeBest initiative is given what this administration is doing to children, ...

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-05-2019 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Really? "They" - by which I assume you mean the demon rat leftists who hate everything and especially you, can't fathom the 4th of July holiday?

Now sit down, because I'm going to tell you something that might shock you. Are you ready?

This is not the first year the 4th of July was celebrated as a holiday.

I know, I know. We all think Supreme Leader Trump invented the concepts of America, Freedom, and celebration but actually, if you look it up, people have been celebrating on July 4th for like, hundreds of years. I know! Even before His Holiness was even born. (Although we all know that our lord and savior Trump is timeless, ageless, and has always been with us, inside us, knew us even before we existed. But like, before his current earthly incarnation came into being).

I, too, was shocked. Apparently even in my own town they shoot off fireworks in the first week of July. I mean, I'd seen them before, they go off right across the street. But I had always assumed it was some sort of colorful industrial accident that coincidentally happened around the same time every year. But it's not! It's a purposeful celebration.

And THIS is going to blow your mind - these celebrations? Happen, like, all over the country. In multiple cities. You can even - and this will really rock you world - you can BUY fireworks to set off YOURSELF.

It's bananas.
Who knew?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Even Russia's state TV is making fun of Trump's pathetic display.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/s...48274898083842

Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I expect the president to say a few appropriate words for a fourth of July celebration. My expectations are the same for any president be he democrat or republican. We expected Trump to make this a political rally and he did not. Maybe he didn't because it was expected. I will neither praise or offer criticism because he meet expectations. The whole show of military might was a bit much but not a huge deal in my opinion. He was presidential which is what we should all expect for occasions like this. He simply meet expectations for a president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies