Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 30's. I think anybody my age and a little older knows that we might not have social security yet we continue to pay a good amount each paycheck. To me and many people I think we just look at it as another type of income tax we will never get back.

But some of us (not all) do try and prepare for the future with 401k. I've been contributing for over 10 years and no plans to stop.

However, I can't help but wonder what so many people will do when they get 60+ that did not prepare like myself with 401k or another form of retirement income. Social security I can't see being there. So how do they survive?

The way this country is going in terms of people jumping on "free healthcare, college, fill in the blank.." I do wonder how dangerous this could be 20-40 years from now.

I do think the gap of rich/poor is getting bigger and that is very dangerous. Eventually I think the poor will carry elections and that's what scares me because of what I'm about to mention.

What if you get a politician in office similar to a Sanders and he has enough votes to pass legislation that will penalize 401k even more than it is now.

I could see it right now. "We have to find a way to care for those that were not fortunate or privileged to pay into 401k. So we will have to tax your 401k even more when you start withdrawing"

But instead of just bumping up a little bit it's literally costing you thousand and thousands of dollars that you worked hard for. To the point that you now are basically going to live out the remainder of your days living on a very tight budget and pretty much only able to buy true necessities.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,095 times
That's why we have the 2nd amendment.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
That's why we have the 2nd amendment.

HAHA I hear ya. And I'm sure things could get ugly.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
That the government will take even more of the money I earn to give freebies to people who haven't done anything to earn it so they can buy more votes from greedy moochers.

Eventually there will be more people mooching than earning.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
Everyone knows about the pension and health spending crises. I'm always more concerned about under the radar things.

In the future I'm really worried about electronic voting and artificial intelligence-generated fake audio and video being used to swing and steal elections.

I have faith that as long as the democratic process is carried out that policies will always be moderate. I am concerned about subversion of the democratic process because then a small minority can gain control over society and steer it in an extreme direction.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm in my late 30's. I think anybody my age and a little older knows that we might not have social security yet we continue to pay a good amount each paycheck. To me and many people I think we just look at it as another type of income tax we will never get back.

But some of us (not all) do try and prepare for the future with 401k. I've been contributing for over 10 years and no plans to stop.

However, I can't help but wonder what so many people will do when they get 60+ that did not prepare like myself with 401k or another form of retirement income. Social security I can't see being there. So how do they survive?

The way this country is going in terms of people jumping on "free healthcare, college, fill in the blank.." I do wonder how dangerous this could be 20-40 years from now.

I do think the gap of rich/poor is getting bigger and that is very dangerous. Eventually I think the poor will carry elections and that's what scares me because of what I'm about to mention.

What if you get a politician in office similar to a Sanders and he has enough votes to pass legislation that will penalize 401k even more than it is now.

I could see it right now. "We have to find a way to care for those that were not fortunate or privileged to pay into 401k. So we will have to tax your 401k even more when you start withdrawing"

But instead of just bumping up a little bit it's literally costing you thousand and thousands of dollars that you worked hard for. To the point that you now are basically going to live out the remainder of your days living on a very tight budget and pretty much only able to buy true necessities.

Thoughts?
Sure, the incone gap continues to grow, but so does the quality of life for the poor. America's"poor" live better than the middle class of dozens of nations.

Our "poor" have cars, cell phones, tv's and gaming systems. Our poor have an obesity problem

I think many liberals would prefer our poor starving in the streets if they could get rid of the wealthy. It's not that they want to help the poor, it's their envy of the wealthy.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
The USA has a lot of money. Don’t be fooled - I wish I knew how to stop lobbys from writing our laws to profit a few. The money is extremely mismanaged and politics should stay the fooff out of our budget. To separate the two be the only way to make this country run smoothly. We are in July. The 2020 budget should be on the table to be signed. Hm hm where is it ?

Old 07-04-2019, 08:59 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Worked close to 40 years handing over almost $500,000 to Social Security and Medicare.
Am I worried about my monthly checks and coverage running out for me ? Nope. There were
enough of my generation that worked long and hard to see this to fruition. The true question is
will it be there for you young-ins? My advise......Make sure you keep working and give those
in that aren't a motivational kick in the arse.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:00 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

Thoughts?
They're not going to start taxing 401k distributions. SS will still be there.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
That the government will take even more of the money I earn to give freebies to people who haven't done anything to earn it so they can buy more votes from greedy moochers.

Eventually there will be more people mooching than earning.
You should move to Mexico. It sounds like your kind of place, little or no government services for all those worthless moochers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies