Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:48 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Logic 1 ......................................Emotions 0

Men Rule........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
The truth is many feminists hate men. They use "equality" as a smokescreen. What they really want is to subvert men.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Women. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Reminded me of a British joke I just heard on the classic sitcom In Sickness and In Health.

Marriage is like a bank. You put it in, you pull it out and then you lose interest

Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
If you read the New York Times article it refers to, you can see it's about a specific type of dude talking this way, not just any guys talking lovingly about their wives. It's more of an influencer sort of thing. I can see it being kinda weird.

From that article:

"A wife guy is not embarrassing because he is overly devoted to his wife, the sexist idea that used to be called “being whipped” and is now more fashionably referred to as “being a ****.” He is worthy of suspicion because he appears to be using his devotion to his wife for personal gain. Tripp has made a brand for himself off his wife’s body, not his own. He has leveraged it into Instagram brand deals for natural shaving creams and Dunkin’-themed sneakers; in his music video, he raps as his wife dances mutely in a swimsuit. He has taken a rather sexist tradition — of men gaining social status through the physical appearance of their wives — and pitched it as a newly enlightened stance."

So if you think that's ok for a man to do or are a wife ok with it, or if you're not, etc. talk about it in reference to this idea of profiting off being a great husband or great wife as presented through social media posts.

Otherwise it's a bit disingenuous to paint it as any instance that a dude is saying good things about his wife, since that was not what the author was talking about.
The nuance is just an excuse to hate men.

My wife is is my best friend as well, and my partner in all things. Anyone who has a problem with that has a punch in the mouth coming. Period. Just say it to my face and see what happens.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
If you read the New York Times article it refers to, you can see it's about a specific type of dude talking this way, not just any guys talking lovingly about their wives. It's more of an influencer sort of thing. I can see it being kinda weird.

From that article:

"A wife guy is not embarrassing because he is overly devoted to his wife, the sexist idea that used to be called “being whipped†and is now more fashionably referred to as “being a ****.†He is worthy of suspicion because he appears to be using his devotion to his wife for personal gain. Tripp has made a brand for himself off his wife’s body, not his own. He has leveraged it into Instagram brand deals for natural shaving creams and Dunkin’-themed sneakers; in his music video, he raps as his wife dances mutely in a swimsuit. He has taken a rather sexist tradition — of men gaining social status through the physical appearance of their wives — and pitched it as a newly enlightened stance."

So if you think that's ok for a man to do or are a wife ok with it, or if you're not, etc. talk about it in reference to this idea of profiting off being a great husband or great wife as presented through social media posts.

Otherwise it's a bit disingenuous to paint it as any instance that a dude is saying good things about his wife, since that was not what the author was talking about.

Also from the article, which for some reason you ignored:

“ It isn’t just traditional conservative men who dare praise their wives and thereby raise liberal ire. Several of the Democratic presidential candidates answered “my wife†when asked by the New York Times to name their personal hero. John Delaney, Seth Moulton, Jay Inslee, Beto O’Rourke and Steve Bullock gave that answer to the Times and this, for some reason, was cause for criticism.â€

“On The Cut site, Madeleine Aggeler rips into these candidates as the type of man who calls his wife his hero as a way of acknowledging the fact that he is forced her to shoulder the responsibilities of their family alone while he pursues his political dreams, in exchange for which she will face intrusive and overwhelming public scrutiny. (My hero!)â€.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:57 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Also from the article, which for some reason you ignored:

“ It isn’t just traditional conservative men who dare praise their wives and thereby raise liberal ire. Several of the Democratic presidential candidates answered “my wife” when asked by the New York Times to name their personal hero. John Delaney, Seth Moulton, Jay Inslee, Beto O’Rourke and Steve Bullock gave that answer to the Times and this, for some reason, was cause for criticism.”

“On The Cut site, Madeleine Aggeler rips into these candidates as the type of man who calls his wife his hero as a way of acknowledging the fact that he is forced her to shoulder the responsibilities of their family alone while he pursues his political dreams, in exchange for which she will face intrusive and overwhelming public scrutiny. (My hero!)”.
I was quoting from the NY Times article to show what that article was talking about, which was a more specific example than the NY Post was trying to portray it as.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
I think I might be more of an egalitarian? I'm not sure. But most feminists arent anywhere near as bad as some of y'all portray. It would be like trying to say all conservatives are card carrying KKK level haters, when in truth there are few like that. Same for feminists.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:26 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
I think I might be more of an egalitarian? I'm not sure. But most feminists arent anywhere near as bad as some of y'all portray. It would be like trying to say all conservatives are card carrying KKK level haters, when in truth there are few like that. Same for feminists.

Well, there are women who look at these shenanigans and decide, "If that's what Feminists believe, I'm not a Feminist." And these new radical Feminists would agree that they're not.

There are other women who ignore these shenanigans, look only at second-wave Feminism and still call themselves Feminists. But it must be understood that they're keeping themselves fixed on second-wave Feminism.

Except that the original champions of second-wave Feminists--women like Germaine Greer--have been ousted out of Feminism by these new radical Feminists.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
I do think they're a small group, but they have a pretty big influence. You'll notice that a lot of people are afraid to push back against them, because anyone who disagrees risks being labelled anti-woman, or at least ignorant and non-progressive.

Because of that, a lot of modern feminist ideas are seen as being more popular than they actually are, and then it slowly becomes accepted and normalized. Just repeat it enough and people will get used to it, and even start believing it.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I thought Pantifa was the was the best example of toxic femininity in this country. I'm not sure that these nuts don't have them beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies