Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
4th post in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Not surprisingly, people have a problem with this.
reading comp skills improve when you reign in emotion

Old 07-06-2019, 01:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is true. There wasn't an unending supply of Jeffersons and Washingtons, so things got a bit more provincial.
Jefferson and Washington did not think alike in this context.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Totally different interpretation.
No, still same bible it’s people who have different interpretations of it.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:22 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The point is the verse conveys the sense of celestial bodies falling to the earth consistent with asteroid impacts. Ever hear the term shooting star?

There are good scientific reasons the earth cannot be old but must be young. Most "skeptics" won't bother to learn why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAqzTuye4-g
The basic point here is that young earth creationism is as intellectually backward in the 21st century as believing the earth is flat.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No, still same bible it’s people who have different interpretations of it.
Exactly what I posted. Different Christian groups, interpret it completely differently.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:26 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I am an atheist and I do believe that America is great due in part to Christian VALUES and following the ten commandments. We also benefited by the original orderly way of government, land and inheritance titles and laws of the British. Having such an orderly way of conducting our governments and doing business is what made America great.

Third world countries are a mess due in part to having a less civilized and formal ways of governance and legal protections. Countries can't move ahead when much of their people are nomadic and only squatters on their lands. Or if they are lacking in a written language or don't embrace science (like in the Congo and them resisting and killing the medical personnel trying to help them fight ebola).

Much of the problem in Puerto Rico is because there are so many shantytowns filled with squatters that our FEMA can't help after each bad hurricane hit. The Puerto Rican government needs to visit every shantytown and document everyone of those shanties and give those squatters deeds to the land that their shacks sit on. Then those people can slowly start to build equity in themselves, replace their shanties with cinderblock construction that can better hold up to hurricane hits. Also if the shantytowns are documented, then rescue workers know where they are to check up on and offer help to.

In the big picture though, America doesn't need to invite in anymore groups of people who are overly serious about their spiritual faiths. Over zealous religion people are a big problem in a modern society. We really don't need that kind of diversity in the US.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:28 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Jefferson and Washington did not think alike in this context.
Pardon, I was unclear. I was thinking more along the lines of the statute of the men.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Very disheartening, but not surprising. The conservative Christian right will never change.

LINK: https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...onal-identity/

https://twitter.com/PewReligion/stat...58750832279552
I disagree. Anyone of any faith can still be truly American. Even though this nation was founded by white Protestants, the white Protestants left an avenue of inclusion for all faiths and denominations to take part in our fair Republic. This is why freedom of religion is a very important concept in our constitution.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:07 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The problem is that it isn't the 1700's anymore. We've been able through educational and scientific progress to learn that god doesn't exist and religion is just superstition and make believe
All I know is that I didn't create myself and I'm not arrogant enough to proclaim that there's no God.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What a load of baloney.

States are not permitted to set up or endorse religions. Never going to be allowed.
Are you serious? The Constitution as originally adopted DID NOT prohibit the states from establishing anything. The Bill of Rights limited Congress'/the federal government's power. They were not binding on the states. The Bill of Rights (most of it anyway, as the Supreme Court hasn't incorporated every aspect) only became binding on the states via the passage of the 14th Amendment. Look up the incorporation theory. Or did you not even read my post? After all, I never claimed that states today can establish a religion due; they can't, due to the Supreme Court's interpretation of the 14th Amendment. But that wasn't the point of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies