Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty?
Yes, and it should be expanded 55 42.64%
Yes, and it is about right where it should be 19 14.73%
Yes, but it should be reduced 8 6.20%
No, I generally oppose it 47 36.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:19 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times

Advertisements

I see this as an issue where logic and emotions come into conflict.

I personally, emotionally, feel if someone kills someone, he should be put to death. I would also tend to want to extend this to drug trafficking and human trafficking - where a person takes advantage of someone else to the max.

However, there are all too many times, when an innocent person is wrongfully accused and convicted, and even put to death. As a conservative, I do not think the government should hold enough power over people to be able to put them to death, especially wrongfully.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I see this as an issue where logic and emotions come into conflict.

I personally, emotionally, feel if someone kills someone, he should be put to death. I would also tend to want to extend this to drug trafficking and human trafficking - where a person takes advantage of someone else to the max.

However, there are all too many times, when an innocent person is wrongfully accused and convicted, and even put to death. As a conservative, I do not think the government should hold enough power over people to be able to put them to death, especially wrongfully.
Alabama is about to castrate men who leave prison after serving time for sexual molesting of juveniles. Come to Jesus.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Alabama is about to castrate men who leave prison after serving time for sexual molesting of juveniles. Come to Jesus.
I saw that that law was passed. I wouldn't say they're about to start it anytime soon, as it could not apply to anyone found guilty before that law took place. I would also say this will be challenged and ultimately overturned in the courts.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:36 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Opposed!

Capital punishment is an intolerable denial of civil liberties and is inconsistent with the fundamental values of our democratic system. The death penalty is uncivilized in theory and unfair and inequitable in practice.

Capital punishment inherently violates the constitutional ban against cruel and unusual punishment and the guarantees of due process of law and of equal protection under the law.

The death penalty system in the US is applied in an unfair and unjust manner against people, largely dependent on how much money they have, the skill of their attorneys, race of the victim and where the crime took place.

The death penalty is a waste of taxpayer funds and has no public safety benefit. The vast majority of law enforcement professionals surveyed agree that capital punishment does not deter violent crime; a survey of police chiefs nationwide found they rank the death penalty lowest among ways to reduce violent crime.

Innocent people are too often sentenced to death. Since 1973, over 156 people have been released from death rows in 26 states because of innocence. Nationally, at least one person is exonerated for every 10 that are executed.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:38 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I saw that that law was passed. I wouldn't say they're about to start it anytime soon, as it could not apply to anyone found guilty before that law took place. I would also say this will be challenged and ultimately overturned in the courts.
I certainly hope so. Especially in Alabama where innocent people are executed, where before they were lynched.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I certainly hope so. Especially in Alabama where innocent people are executed, where before they were lynched.
People are often intimidated into making false confessions, among other things. For this reason alone, capital punishment should not be held as a reasonable punishment, thereby giving the government way too much power.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:48 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
I am opposed because we have no right to take something we can not give back.

Take a killer rapist on death row for example. In California he is guaranteed to three hots and a cot for at least 25 years and a luxury life in a cell all their own. With life in prison he will be released into general population where child rapists and pedophiles get the best treatment of respect by their fellow prisoners.

I believe there are worst things than the death penalty.

But what about someone that is proven innocent after serving 20 years? At least he would be alive to resume his life with a minimum financial support of at least $100k tax free for every year served. But if we take his life then what?

Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Opposed!

Capital punishment is an intolerable denial of civil liberties and is inconsistent with the fundamental values of our democratic system. The death penalty is uncivilized in theory and unfair and inequitable in practice.

Capital punishment inherently violates the constitutional ban against cruel and unusual punishment and the guarantees of due process of law and of equal protection under the law.

The death penalty system in the US is applied in an unfair and unjust manner against people, largely dependent on how much money they have, the skill of their attorneys, race of the victim and where the crime took place.

The death penalty is a waste of taxpayer funds and has no public safety benefit. The vast majority of law enforcement professionals surveyed agree that capital punishment does not deter violent crime; a survey of police chiefs nationwide found they rank the death penalty lowest among ways to reduce violent crime.

Innocent people are too often sentenced to death. Since 1973, over 156 people have been released from death rows in 26 states because of innocence. Nationally, at least one person is exonerated for every 10 that are executed.
Excellent post, but many people, especially in the Red States, would strongly disagree with you. I think they take great delight in the death penalty used as vengeance, while not worried that God said in the bible, "Vengeance is mine!".

Old 07-07-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Excellent post, but many people, especially in the Red States, would strongly disagree with you. I think they take great delight in the death penalty used as vengeance, while not worried that God said in the bible, "Vengeance is mine!".
I think you're oversimplifying. I am very conservative, and I am opposed to the death penalty. Perhaps, the Christian element within the GOP would agree with what you have stated, but I cannot speak for them, because I am not a Christian myself.

My point is that both parties are made up of coalitions, so I don't think you should make such broad, generalized and simplified statements as that.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Opposed on principle, and how can we, in good conscious, execute anyone for anything as long as OJ is still alive. The radical disparity in the "criminal justice system" is staggering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies