U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Global warming, do you believe in it?
Absolutely! The facts are undeniable! Im even sweating now! 29 36.25%
Generally yes. The world appears warmer than I remember 19 23.75%
Generally no. I have noticed little difference. 11 13.75%
Absolutely not! Bunch of nonsense! 21 26.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,796,164 times

Advertisements

I for one definately do! I have posted threads about global warming and so have others. I even saw a documentary video on it and it explained why we have global warming! Dont believe the facts? Look at the weather channel and look how warm the northeastern states are! Its 45 degrees in Oil city, Pennsylvania when it should be 25!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 AM

569 posts, read 1,119,375 times
Thumbs down Hogwash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Its 45 degrees in Oil city, Pennsylvania when it should be 25!
Based on this logic, then the Washington D.C. area was experiencing "global cooling" 2 weeks ago when the temperatures were running 10-20 degrees BELOW normal.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 AM

153 posts, read 639,009 times
Thumbs down No "global warming" in my opinion

Like I said in the other thread.... All weather is on a cycle, and I think that the current trend is part of that cycle. Some cycles can take thousands of years (ice ages), some can be yearly (the four seasons), and some can be lunar (monthly).

In the 1700's there was a massive cooling of the climate according to history, and in the 1500's there was a massive warming, very similar to the one we are experiencing now. In the 1970's you'd see news stories about a global cool down, now in the 00's you see stories on global warming.

I don't buy into global warming.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:33 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,168,811 times
I truly believe that we need to find forms of energy *other* than fossil fuels.
However
I think there is a whole lot of information about the upper atmosphere that we simply don't know.
I am reminded of the hurricane predictions and prognostications; there were 17 named storms predicted for 2006, and only one ever appeared.
There is a lot going on, there is a lot we don't know.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 AM

2,814 posts, read 11,897,970 times
I also am not convinced of any global trend called "global warming" in the sense that humans themselves are affecting it to any great extent. I do believe we go through climatic cycles and from what I've studied it seems tied to solar cycles. Scientists are now backing away from the great warming that occurred in the 11th/12th centuries, but we know it occured because vineyards grew in England and the French imposed import restrictions on English wine because it was challenging domestic French production! We also know that Greenland was green then and Iceland was far warmer. The Vikings had farms in places now that are ice-covered or too cold for agriculture.
The Al Gore documentary has been debunked by actual experts. If you research the "experts" behind An Inconvenient Truth, you'll find that none of them are actual climate experts whose actual fields are climate science. In fact, a large group of actual climate experts have proven that Kyoto is flawed, that mankind himself has real little global impact on climate, and that the premises of "global warming" based on human activity are questionable at best. Search "60 scientists write letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper" and you'll gain a lot of information from actual climatic experts.
Politikally points to a good point..we were warmer before the "Little Ice Age" which began in the 14th century and continued through the mid-19th Century...which is why there are paintings now of Dutch canals frozen over and the Thames in London having winter fairs on the ice..., or the Washington army crossing the Potomac River during the Revolutionary War on ice, even though they do not now freeze over. Or why the Elizabethans wore such heavy clothing without becoming puddles of sweat.
The planet warmed up starting about 1850 and going through about 1940, then it began cooling again with severe winters to the south through the 1970's. In the early 80s it began warming again. But since 1996, no measurable warming has occured. The statements about the ice covers on the poles is misleading too. Scientists who expect warming temperatures predicted warming in Antarctica, instead it grew much colder and the ice is spreading. In Greenland, you always hear of the glaciers and ice on the West Coast of the island retreating. What you don't hear is that it is growing on the East Coast of Greenland.
There are also changes happening in the ocean currents and the Atlantic Current which warms Europe depends on salt sinking to keep the conveyer belt of warm water moving north then recycling as cold water back to the south, yet it's believed it may shut down at any time and plunge Europe and North America into very cold places again like in the Little Ice Age.
There's too much we don't know about climate and what impacts and changes it as Cil says. We don't know what's happening in the upper atmosphere and we don't really understand the natural cycles, including the solar impact and how solar cycles on the sun and sunspot activity affect weather/climate on the earth. But there's a lot of information that humans themselves are pretty much powerless to affect the outcome one way or another.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:36 AM

84 posts, read 347,845 times
I've been listening to the "experts" lately and that's all they are talking about. Then it was in the 70s, here in GA, for days at a time last week which is even warm and above normal for the Georgians and I'd have to say that it's all falling in that direction. Of course, the global warming occurs after I leave the north and move south, but oh well, 70s in the December is something I've never experienced so I"m happy none the less.

Last edited by pjacksone; 12-20-2006 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,912,672 times
I believe we're warming, but I don't believe that human activity is the main reason for the global trend.
(if there's a global trend)

Besides, I live in Canada; it can't warm up enough.
Every heat wave here feels like heaven.

I won't be too concerned unless southern Ontario goes above 110 F several times.
(our record for the province of Ontario is around 105 F)

Old 12-24-2006, 03:57 PM

46 posts, read 400,179 times
Default What about all of the icebergs that are melting?

I believe that it is real. It is strange though that some areas are getting colder and some areas are getting hotter, like warming along with "shifting."

Old 12-24-2006, 07:07 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,530,026 times
Let me know if you still believe in global warming this coming February when it's 0 deg. F.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 5,205 times
I believed it for awhile but trying to stop believing EVERYTHING I read...a weakness of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or