Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You implied that they would "hear about" it.

How is that not promoting it?

Especially if your plan is to "mentally annihilate" them?
What? Are you just deliberately omitting words when you read a post? Yeah, I said you’ll hear about it if you bring it up or continue to bring it up. How could you even confuse that? What exactly is your issue again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times
Quote:
What exactly is it, as an atheist, that you are promoting?

Since you believe in nothing.....how, and more importantly, why, do you feel it's necessary to promote nothingness?
Although you didn't direct this at me, I'll answer.

As an atheist, I promote making decisions - especially policy decisions - based on observable data and not on religious beliefs. So, for example, the US's official position on Israel should be based on something other than End Times prophecy.

I promote making this world the best it can be, because there is no afterlife. I promote making the most of one's life on Earth, because there is nothing after death. I promote seeking justice in the present, because there is no divine punishment waiting for wrongdoers in the future.

I promote living as if this, this earth, this life, is all we have - because it is all we have. And isn't it enough?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I would guess people feel the need to make people aware that they are atheists for the same reason people feel the need to make people aware that they are Christian. Or are Cubs fans. Or are from the South. Or love Star Wars. People like to share the things that are important to them.

I agree terms like "sky daddy" are needlessly mean spirited and I have made a conscious effort to stop doing/speaking that way.

And in theory, I agree people should believe (or not believe) whatever they want.

The problem for me is when people take their religious beliefs and use it to enact policy that applies to all. For example, my child's public school held a mandatory abstinence assembly in which girls were told that if they had sex outside of marriage they were like a glass of water filled with other people's spit and breadcrumbs and no decent man would want them. That's someone else's religious beliefs about sex being imposed on my child in a government funded setting. That's not okay.

Why is it only religious based beliefs that you have a problem with being imposed on you?

There are plenty of secular based notions of morality that come and go.... many of which are imposed on people who's beliefs don't jibe with the current flavor of the month being shoved down their throats.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times
Quote:
Why is it only religious based beliefs that you have a problem with being imposed on you?

There are plenty of secular based notions of morality that come and go.... many of which are imposed on people who's beliefs don't jibe with the current flavor of the month being shoved down their throats.
Such as?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
I would think that most Atheists realize that the South (generally) is the most religious part of the country. You're going to get some sort of reaction.

I grew up in the South. In my town, Athiests putting up such a banner would run the risk of being physically beaten. Not saying it's right, just "the way it was".

Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
I have have no proof or faith in the existence or lack of existence of Odin or any other God.

That's what makes me an agnostic.

What is different about your belief system that makes you feel motivated to call yourself an atheist?

If you adamantly believe in non existence, how is that different from faith?

Especially if there is "no proof of non existence"?

What exactly are you basing your non belief on?

What many don't seem to understand is that proclaiming non belief is as much a conscious decision as proclaiming a belief in any deity.
Gnostic/agnostic is a measure of surety.

If you lack a belief in gods, you're atheist. If you are 100% certain that no gods exist, you're a gnostic atheist.

Disbelief (or lacking belief if you prefer, they mean the same thing) of a claim for which there is little/no evidence for is the default position for any thinking person. Therefore, without compelling evidence for deities, I lack believe, aka disbelieve.

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

https://www.atheists.org/activism/re...about-atheism/

Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
What exactly is it, as an atheist, that you are promoting?

Since you believe in nothing.....how, and more importantly, why, do you feel it's necessary to promote nothingness?

Why do you persist in repeating this nonsense, I wonder?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I would think that most Atheists realize that the South (generally) is the most religious part of the country. You're going to get some sort of reaction.

I grew up in the South. In my town, Athiests putting up such a banner would run the risk of being physically beaten. Not saying it's right, just "the way it was".
My Mom and I are both atheists, and her brother (my uncle) literally hates us and vowed to never speak to us again. He’s against us not believing in god, he’s mad at my Mom for marrying a Chinese-American man, and he’s mad at me for being mixed-race and gay. We’ll probably never hear from him again.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What? Are you just deliberately omitting words when you read a post? Yeah, I said you’ll hear about it if you bring it up or continue to bring it up. How could you even confuse that? What exactly is your issue again?

My issue isn't with most garden variety atheist that have a live and let live attitude towards others

It's with atheists extremists/activists (example: the freedom from religion types) and keyboard commandos who are usually just as annoying and self righteous as any Bible thumper.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why do you persist in repeating this nonsense, I wonder?

What, as an atheist, do you believe in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies