Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 AM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Maybe the answer is to make it harder to get welfare. Unless you have small children, you must attend a vocational training program or enroll in community college (either of which would be paid for by Pell Grants) to keep the welfare benefits flowing.

You already have to have children to receive cash welfare benefits. And then once the children reach a certain age you have to participate in work related activities. If the employers are still refusing to employ you then you lose everything.

Some unemployed already have college degrees. If you already have a college degree then you're not eligible for student financial aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:20 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-2011-9

They did install AC after this, but gives you an idea what the owners think of their workers.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well those McDonald workers that walked out for $15/hour must be sitting pretty now with no job.
McDonalds is renovating their stores....6-8 self serve kiosks and 1-2 cashier stations.
And yet if workers historically and presently never stood up for themselves they'd be making close to nothing anyway. And working 16 hour days 6 days a week, leaving them no time or real money to buy anything anyway.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
And yet if workers historically and presently never stood up for themselves they'd be making close to nothing anyway. And working 16 hour days 6 days a week, leaving them no time or real money to buy anything anyway.
Well most are capped at 29 hours/week due to ACA mandate. Not many working 16 hour shifts at McDonalds.
The best way to initiate change is to leave for a job with better pay. When the employer is impacted directly by lack of employees then they will offer better pay.

Supply and demand. Why would employers do anything different if they have a waiting list of potential employees willing to work there under those conditions ?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It seems like some folks feel going on strike because of income is okay, but if sellers complain about that strike because it's impacting their income, it's unacceptable.

Sounds like selective empathy.

I used to sell on Amazon years ago. I got put out of that business because Amazon changed a policy and started requiring the merchandise to be obtained a certain way that costs a significant amount of money that I could never obtain. I was a smaller level seller. I used to obtain merchandise in ways that were different and I'd put them on Amazon and double or triple my money at the least. It was how I stayed afloat since I couldn't work a job. I totally understand the OP's ire, but people like the OP didn't have any compassion for me when I was forced out of business and put in even worse situation. Nope, no compassion for the smaller sellers from anyone at all. Instead, when I expressed how devastating it was going to be for me I was taunted by the larger sellers online while they went on about how if you didn't have the money to comply then you deserved to be out of business and Amazon booted me and others like me from their message boards so that it would no longer be shown how their decision was impacting people like me. There were probably a lot of us. So, I understand the OP but I don't feel any compassion. I figure it's karma unfolding. The strike will end though and he'll recover but people like me were never able to get back what we lost.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well most are capped at 29 hours/week due to ACA mandate. Not many working 16 hour shifts at McDonalds.
The best way to initiate change is to leave for a job with better pay. When the employer is impacted directly by lack of employees then they will offer better pay.

Supply and demand. Why would employers do anything different if they have a waiting list of potential employees willing to work there under those conditions ?
The ACA doesn't cap them at 29 hours a week, greedy employers being unwilling to provide health insurance to full time employees does. And you can thank labour laws for 16 hour shifts not being the norm...laws that only happened because working people actually fought for them rather than meekly bending over for their employer and hoping they find a new job paying 2 cents more per hour during the limited time they had to job hunt.

Regarding the bolded... how did that turn out during the Industrial Revolution and in third world countries nowadays?

Without unions or laws, workers will ALWAYS be at a fundamental disadvantage when it comes to negotiations. There will always be more people who need to pay bills to survive than there will be companies.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The ACA doesn't cap them at 29 hours a week, greedy employers being unwilling to provide health insurance to full time employees does. And you can thank labour laws for 16 hour shifts not being the norm...laws that only happened because working people actually fought for them rather than meekly bending over for their employer and hoping they find a new job paying 2 cents more per hour during the limited time they had to job hunt.

Regarding the bolded... how did that turn out during the Industrial Revolution and in third world countries nowadays?

Without unions or laws, workers will ALWAYS be at a fundamental disadvantage when it comes to negotiations. There will always be more people who need to pay bills to survive than there will be companies.
Well if that ACA mandate wasn't in place they could work 39 hours like they used to.
So now they have 10 less hours per week because the government "stepped in to help".

Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Pledge vs getting it in writing. I know which one I'd choose.

They are getting $16-$20 per hour now. Show me the money as they say.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Well, I guess they can always bag groceries at Kroger for $9 an hour.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I used to sell on Amazon years ago. I got put out of that business because Amazon changed a policy and started requiring the merchandise to be obtained a certain way that costs a significant amount of money that I could never obtain. I was a smaller level seller. I used to obtain merchandise in ways that were different and I'd put them on Amazon and double or triple my money at the least. It was how I stayed afloat since I couldn't work a job. I totally understand the OP's ire, but people like the OP didn't have any compassion for me when I was forced out of business and put in even worse situation. Nope, no compassion for the smaller sellers from anyone at all. Instead, when I expressed how devastating it was going to be for me I was taunted by the larger sellers online while they went on about how if you didn't have the money to comply then you deserved to be out of business and Amazon booted me and others like me from their message boards so that it would no longer be shown how their decision was impacting people like me. There were probably a lot of us. So, I understand the OP but I don't feel any compassion. I figure it's karma unfolding. The strike will end though and he'll recover but people like me were never able to get back what we lost.
There are lots of selling platforms besides Amazon now. Some require you sell locally and some offer a shipping option. I network with a lot of people who put products out there on multiple platforms at the same time and they get good results from them. So you can still do what you did before elsewhere. And I only brought up my FBA business because another person claimed I get nothing from Amazon so why should I care what is going on there.

I do have compassion for people but when they get concessions and keep demanding more and more there is a point where its just ridiculous. It seems like nothing will appease these people.That was my point. I have a relative that just began her teaching career and her starting pay is in the same range as these Amazon workers. And she has a degree with teaching credentials.

I have had a few employees like these workers over the years that you cannot never please. And in the case of these fulfillment workers there will be a point when its more cost effective to automate their job. I am just pointing out the obvious. And like I have said a few times I really believe this is a union power play and they are just using these workers.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-09-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies