Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

I do think the "pay gap" is unfair. Both male and female professional soccer players make far too much in relation to the average working American. Same goes for all professional athletes. They should all be paid the median income for their geographic area. Admissions should be capped at 2% of average net weekly income for the area for regular season games. Broadcast and merchandising revenue should be heavily taxed with the funds going toward education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
The men's World Cup generated $6 billion in revenue. The women's World Cup generates $131 million.
Over what time period?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:23 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m a female soccer player and I’m here to tell you, men’s soccer *is* a cut above.

Not saying that women don’t deserve a more fair contract, but physically and competitively, us women can’t compare to the men. It drives me nuts but it’s true. Play awhile on a coed team and then come back and we’ll discuss.
No, I agree. My degree/background is sports medicine and athletic training. I get it. The thing is, what are women better at? What would we fight for? We can produce better milk than men? Grow a human in our bodies? Yes, great things, and the only thing that really matters honestly, or we would die as a species. But wait, that doesn't make money....well, unless your baby-daddy is Steph Curry or Elan Musk I guess.

So, we try to do things the honest way, and work. And it gets us nowhere.

This is not really about women's soccer. This is a tiny puzzle piece in the constant, unrelenting, long and arduous history of the treatment of women.

I believe the women's soccer team, while having a personal interest as well, are utilizing their prominent position to say "enough!"

I have a kid 5'2" who is a passionate basketball player. I told her since she was little that she had to be at least twice as good as everyone else because of her size. That is analogous to everything a woman does versus a man, with a few exceptions: figure skating, gymnastics, beauty pageants.

In 2019, we are still the only country in the western world which has not had a female president.

That's what the women's soccer team is really fighting for- equality, period. That's my armchair psychologist definition of this whole thing.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There are many viewpoints...here is one:

http://https://www.marketwatch.com/s...men-2019-07-08

"From 2016 to 2018, U.S. women’s soccer games raised approximately $50.8 million in revenue, compared with $49.9 million for the country’s men’s side, according to the U.S. Soccer Federation’s audited financial statements, the Wall Street Journal reported last month. In 2016, the women’s team generated $1.9 million more than the men’s."

Who cares about "filling stadiums" - it's the actual revenue that counts.
That's just from a small portion of the overall revenue.

Basically, you just cited a press release from the women's soccer teams lawyer which did exactly what it was designed to do....mislead and create public anger.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's just from a small portion of the overall revenue.

Basically, you just cited a press release from the women's soccer teams lawyer which did exactly what it was designed to do....mislead and create public anger.
Thank you. The LEFT loves to cherry pick, i.e. LIE.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What exactly is "cherry picked" in the revenue debate? If you are going to make a claim, back it up. I didn't source because my points have been said ad nosseum.
Your post was correct and is the entire crux of the situation. The other poster may have been referring to the posters that gullibly got taken in by the womens legal team that cherry picked examples from just US revenues and of course the timeframe.

I repeat, their legal team created an intentionally misleading claim using a small portion of the revenues where the womens team compared favorably. They did this to sway public opinion and create pressure on US Soccer. The women may in fact have a case for higher pay which I full support and am confident that the mediation will do just that.

However, in the meantime we have people that were quite bluntly tricked by a smart lawyer press release and are now all fired up and angry and demanding equal pay which is unlikely to be factually supported.

When the mediation comes back with "un-equal" pay, we're then going to have to deal with the same people that emotionally bought into a clever lawyers twisting of facts and they will be angry and bewildered and not understand what occurred.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
I'll all for equal pay for women, but I'm getting tired of each and every cause being dragged into sports! Sports is supposed to be something that is relaxing and is an escape from the daily 9-5 grind. Just wish they could keep the politics out of sports....

Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
No, I agree. My degree/background is sports medicine and athletic training. I get it. The thing is, what are women better at? What would we fight for? We can produce better milk than men? Grow a human in our bodies? Yes, great things, and the only thing that really matters honestly, or we would die as a species. But wait, that doesn't make money....well, unless your baby-daddy is Steph Curry or Elan Musk I guess.

So, we try to do things the honest way, and work. And it gets us nowhere.

This is not really about women's soccer. This is a tiny puzzle piece in the constant, unrelenting, long and arduous history of the treatment of women.

I believe the women's soccer team, while having a personal interest as well, are utilizing their prominent position to say "enough!"

I have a kid 5'2" who is a passionate basketball player. I told her since she was little that she had to be at least twice as good as everyone else because of her size. That is analogous to everything a woman does versus a man, with a few exceptions: figure skating, gymnastics, beauty pageants.

In 2019, we are still the only country in the western world which has not had a female president.

That's what the women's soccer team is really fighting for- equality, period. That's my armchair psychologist definition of this whole thing.
Women already get equal pay- or very close to it- when you account for facts like women working fewer hours on average, choosing easier and less demanding jobs, having fewer years experience on average, etc.

But women in our society are taught from childhood that the way to get things done is to complain. And so they do. Constantly. Men are taught to do things for ourselves. And so we do.

Most of what we see in third-wave feminism is an outgrowth of our female Culture of Complaining. Complaining is a lot easier than getting a STEM degree. Or doing the dirty/difficult/dangerous blue collar jobs that actually pay well.

I spent my first career as a diesel mechanic. That's a job that women *rarely* do. Now I'm in my second career as a mechanical engineer. Those few women willing to get a BSME do very well... everything is skewed in their favor for political reasons. But relatively few complete this major.

It's so much easier to complain and lie about statistics.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your post was correct and is the entire crux of the situation. The other poster may have been referring to the posters that gullibly got taken in by the womens legal team that cherry picked examples from just US revenues and of course the timeframe.

I repeat, their legal team created an intentionally misleading claim using a small portion of the revenues where the womens team compared favorably. They did this to sway public opinion and create pressure on US Soccer. The women may in fact have a case for higher pay which I full support and am confident that the mediation will do just that.

However, in the meantime we have people that were quite bluntly tricked by a smart lawyer press release and are now all fired up and angry and demanding equal pay which is unlikely to be factually supported.

When the mediation comes back with "un-equal" pay, we're then going to have to deal with the same people that emotionally bought into a clever lawyers twisting of facts and they will be angry and bewildered and not understand what occurred.
The other thing that I don't think is talked about is that is that women's leagues even if CONCACAF (who governs Copa de Oro) and CONMEBOL (who governs Copa América) have them, they are not on the level of Copa de Oro or Copa América. This is another part of the revenue issue for soccer. Until CONCACAF and CONMEBOL have women's tournaments on the level of Copa de Oro and Copa América, it is going to inherently unequal, just like FIFA having a low pay. I'm not a soccer fan, I only know of these from working various soccer games as event security.

As for the cherry picked stats about revenue, the stats are being skewed and distorted to read what you want from it. Remember the old line about there are only lies, damn lines and then there's statistics; this is the latter. People are looking at the 1.9 million for the single year which I imagine will be similar for fiscal year 2019/20 and the 900k aggregate over the next two years as well, for whatever their stance is.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I'll answer for him. The argument they're making is that since 2016, the women have exceeded the men in revenue. The cherry picking is "since 2016" and how they define "revenue" (they only include ticket sales, which are a fraction of the actual revenue the US Soccer Federation brings in). Here's a chart showing the "revenue":

https://www.onlinegambling.com/news/...1156954768.jpg

The women sold $1.9 million more in tickets in 2016. That's the only year in the history of the sports that they sold more tickets (by dollar amounts). In the two years since (2017-2018) the men have beaten them by $1 million. But if you take only that three year period, they can factually argue that they had $900k more in ticket sales than the men.
That is total revenue that is being compared and your link doesn’t prove your point. No where in the audited financial statement does it say “tickets”. But even if we can believe your link from someone called online gambling it does prove that they are very close in revenue but it only indicates a max of $25M for event revenue for either team.

If you are going to claim that ticket sales are a fraction of total revenue the you need to put up some numbers that support that claim.

Last edited by Goodnight; 07-10-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies