Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I agree revenue both bring in should be the focus, both women and men play on professional teams in the US and Europe but that is not the discussion.
While Revenue would likely be the lead factor, their other incomes is very relevant as it speaks to supply and demand.

Please join the discussion, but please refrain from the urge to define it. I am the OP, and by default, I defined the discussion with my OP. People have opinions and should be able to share them. IMO, supply and demand of the players (eg: How much they can make doing something else) is VERY relevant to how much they are paid. "SUSTAINED"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
I agree revenue both bring in should be the focus
It will be, because of the 2005 CBA and the ratios rule I pointed out. The language is already there to make sure they are compensated equally, and what will be revealed is that no disparity exists and if there is one, it is the men making less of a percentage of their own revenue than the women do.

After they lose that battle, Kessler (their lawyer) has already signaled he will use US figure skating and how they do their sport (where the women make more than the men) as the backup argument, and again, all of this will be to pressure USSF to give the USWNT a better deal in the new CBA.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Just have one team and let both men and women try out for it in the interest of equality.
Problem solved.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
If one day women’s football (soccer) gets more popular than the men’s then they would be paid more, and it would be fair. What you get paid is in function of how much you can sell. That’s all.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
If you want to have a serious discussion then you should quote some revenue numbers rather than claiming its the same as a comparison to a Triple A team. The discussion needs to stay on the US National mens and womens teams.

Since 2015 the womens team generated $50.8M to $49.9 million for the men yet the women are paid $99,000 while the men are paid $263,000 per game. The womens team home jersey generated $10B in sales fir Nuke as their top selling jersey The viewership for Sundays championship was 20% higher than the men's final.

The women generate just as much revenue as the men or more so why shouldn't they be paid the same,
Again with the lies and you absolutely know better because I was the one that linked the actual revenue statements for US Soccer in the other thread and explained it all.

They do not generate just as much revenue as the men due to TV and endorsement deals tipping the scales in favor of the men.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 AM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Just have one team and let both men and women try out for it in the interest of equality.
Problem solved.
That would be in violation of FIFA's gender eligibility rules:

Quote:
For FIFA men's competitions, only men are eligible to play. For FIFA women's competitions, only women are eligible to play.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:06 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
those numbers 40% and 6% are international numbers. the post i referenced was UN National. I suspect the national numbers are different. You are correct in pointing out the lower level of competition in the women's game compared to the men's game. I am just not sure that matters. Bring home gold. that is what matters. the women do that. But that doesn't really matter in terms of pay. some person who wins gold in some international shooting competition certainly isn't going to make the same as the womens soccer team. because there is no revenue.
No point in discussing league salaries, when the claims are by the National Team. Completely different comparison.

Bringing home gold or a trophy matters only when you don't care about the level of competition, thus don't care about levels of performance. If you're claiming to be out performing another team, then you can't ignore the differentials in performance.

For instance someone bringing home a win in an SCCA Mazda MX-5 Race at Laguna Seca has not demonstrated higher performance than someone coming in 10th in the Weathertech SportsCar Championship Prototype race at Laguna Seca.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:07 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If one day women’s football (soccer) gets more popular than the men’s then they would be paid more, and it would be fair. What you get paid is in function of how much you can sell. That’s all.
It's just like in other Commission sales. Some people produce large $$ numbers and some don't. Some people bust their azz and never bring in the money.

I see it in real estate. Equal work can not guarantee equal income or equal pay in many professions.

If the women bring in the same $$ as the men then yes, if not then no.

Most womens sports don't bring in the same revenue and mens sports. Life is not fair.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
don't care.

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in scrimmage

Old 07-09-2019, 07:10 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It will be, because of the 2005 CBA and the ratios rule I pointed out. The language is already there to make sure they are compensated equally, and what will be revealed is that no disparity exists and if there is one, it is the men making less of a percentage of their own revenue than the women do.

After they lose that battle, Kessler (their lawyer) has already signaled he will use US figure skating and how they do their sport (where the women make more than the men) as the backup argument, and again, all of this will be to pressure USSF to give the USWNT a better deal in the new CBA.
Yes, I read that they were going to have mediation which makes complete sense as this is really a fairly easy agreement for accountants to figure out.

The women will probably get a bigger cut due to their increasing popularity but will still lag behind the men until they garner a MUCH fatter TV and endorsement deal.

There is no mystery here. Just look at MLB or NBA player pay over the years. NBA players used to make a fraction of baseball players and now make comparable amounts.

I'm sick and tired of all the lies and spin being directed at "equal pay" in this discussion.

It is going to be HILLARIOUS when this comes out of mediation and the women increase to 60% or whatever of the mens pay levels and cheer their victory which should leave uneducated and gullible types swallowing the "equal pay" propaganda scratching their heads about why mediation didn't get them the same amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies