Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Lynyrd Skynyrd racist?
Yes 12 8.76%
No 125 91.24%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Do you all not remember life before 2010?

People have always been walking around with Confederate flag paraphernalia (whites and blacks) and this was not a debate before. All this outrage is new.
Yes, I do. My memories stop in the 70s. No, it’s not new. As I mentioned earlier racism was just more tolerated then. What you’re likely noticing is with social media and such the outrage is more visible. When back in the 70s/80s that would likely have been a physical confrontation if spoken up about.

It’s not like it was constantly displayed since the civil war. It’s not even the confederate flag. It’s the battle flag of north Virginia. Meant nothing to units outside of there. It was resurrected by the Lost Cause movement and the KKK. Then adopted by the Dixiecrats. None of them did it for “heritage”.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What is the "heritage"? It's a word that is thrown around a lot but what exactly is the heritage in relationship to this flag?
Look, just because you cannot make sense of something, doesn't mean everybody who flies that flag is some kind of racist.

I personally know at least five men who would fly that flag occasionally, and they are the most compassionate people you can ever find. They are certainly not racists.

Although, i'd say in today's world, they won't fly that flag because they are not stupid. They know a lot of racists fly that flag, and they don't want anything to do with them.

You ask about heritage, I know one of my friends' great grandfather was a soldier fought for the south. He (friend) is in the military, so he viewed himself as a southern warrior, just like his great grandfather. The reason is that simple, it has nothing to do with slavery.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Look, just because you cannot make sense of something, doesn't mean everybody who flies that flag is some kind of racist.

I personally know at least five men who would fly that flag occasionally, and they are the most compassionate people you can ever find. They are certainly not racists.

Although, i'd say in today's world, they won't fly that flag because they are not stupid.
I'm asking you. You said it is the heritage but you cannot define the heritage? It hurts some folks for what it has represented in its history. What is so worthwhile about its heritage?

Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I'm asking you. You said it is the heritage but you cannot define the heritage? It hurts some folks for what it has represented in its history. What is so worthwhile about its heritage?
I just answered you. Read my post.

One of my friends' great grandfather was a soldier fought for the south. My friend sees himself as a southern warrior just like his great grandfather. It has nothing to do with slavery.

He showed me a lot of his photos in battlefield, they (a lot of Marines from the south) displayed that flag. They are not racists.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
You ask about heritage, I know one of my friends' great grandfather was a soldier fought for the south. He (friend) is in the military, so he viewed himself as a southern warrior, just like his great grandfather. The reason is that simple, it has nothing to do with slavery.
If great grandfather wasn’t specifically in the north Virginia army that reasoning is junk. But even if he was, the cause it represents certainly was slavery.

The whole “heritage not hate” thing is propaganda put out by the Lost Cause movement, period. They even seeped into public schools.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If great grandfather wasn’t specifically in the north Virginia army that reasoning is junk. But even if he was, the cause it represents certainly was slavery.

The whole “heritage not hate” thing is propaganda put out by the Lost Cause movement, period. They even seeped into public schools.
Oh my God. Let's not overthinking about this! What is the purpose of thinking the worst of somebody?

I know they are not racists, and this is it.

I also said in TODAYS world, they certainly won't display that flag anymore because they are not stupid. <shrug>

Old 07-10-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Oh my God. Let's not overthinking about this! What is the purpose of thinking the worst of somebody?

I know they are not racists, and this is it.

I also said in TODAYS world, they certainly won't display that flag anymore because they are not stupid. <shrug>
Yes people can do stupid things without realizing it. Fly it just to be edgy or whatever. In which case, sure they’re not intentionally racist. They’re just in need of a history lesson to understand what they are flying.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:51 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:

One of my friends' great grandfather was a soldier fought for the south. My friend sees himself as a southern warrior just like his great grandfather. It has nothing to do with slavery.

He showed me a lot of his photos in battlefield, they (a lot of Marines from the south) displayed that flag. They are not racists.
A warrior to keep slavery intact is not admirable. Maybe the ignorance during that time was some kind of excuse but not in this day and age. It was NOT a noble cause and people need to realize that the symbol of that bygone time really sucks in retrospect.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
A warrior to keep slavery intact is not admirable. Maybe the ignorance during that time was some kind of excuse but not in this day and age. It was NOT a noble cause and people need to realize that the symbol of that bygone time really sucks in retrospect.
This thread is about "was Lynyrd Skynyrd racist?"

I agree with everything you said, that is why I don't think EVERYBODY flies that flag is a racist. Plus, people's feeling change all the time.

I already said it, my friends won't fly that flag anymore because they are not stupid.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:

Except for the minor point that slavery caused the war, no, the Stars and Bars has no connection with racism at all.

The states that seceded published proclamations of WHY they seceded. They said themselves that they would fight to preserve their right to enslave black people.

Please don't insult your own intelligence by contending that racism has nothing to do with slavery.

White southerners had/have a very long history of living intimately with black people. Doesn't mean they weren't/aren't racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies