Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Most advanced countries do not have the history that the USA has. The underclass in this country was created long ago, long before any welfare programs existed. No other advanced country had a slavery system like that of the USA. Yes, I'm going there.

No other 1st world country has an underclass as large as the USA's because the USA did things similar to Brazil. Brazil imported alot of slaves. The USA imported more slaves than any other current 1st world country. After slavery was abolished in both countries, there was still alot of discrimination that continued. Brazil has a huge underclass, and that underclass is the remnant of slavery. If anything, I'm surprised the Black underclass in America isn't bigger. The Black middle class has grown thanks to things like the Civil Rights Act. Many have escaped from the underclass. However, the roots of America's underclass come from slavery. And it existed long before any large-scale welfare programs existed. When there were no welfare programs, people had MORE kids.
You may be right, but what does this have to do with their behavior? Slavery did not cause these people to do this? They have a choice and chose to participate. They could instead chose to find a job, volunteer, do some work around the house, play some sports, enjoy the outdoors, etc etc. It would not matter what we gave to these people they would still behave the way they are behaving. I wonder how many of them grew up in two parent households. My dad would have had my a++ if I had done something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Much of the crime in that era was by rivals due to Prohibition. They weren't typically harming innocent people, they were harming EACH OTHER. Violence was bad for business. Read some history.
You were missing my point. Yes, Prohibition fueled alot of violence during the 20s. Now, I want you to think about this. What was fueling street gangs back in the late 1940s into the 1950s?

What was fueling violence in Chicago's South South during the 1950s?

I watched Gangland on The History Channel. One of the most violent gangs in Chicago got started in the 1950s. Boys from the St. Charles Juvenile Correctional Facility met and formed a gang. By the early 1960s they were known for being a violent gang, especially in the Lawndale area.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
You may be right, but what does this have to do with their behavior? Slavery did not cause these people to do this? They have a choice and chose to participate. They could instead chose to find a job, volunteer, do some work around the house, play some sports, enjoy the outdoors, etc etc. It would not matter what we gave to these people they would still behave the way they are behaving. I wonder how many of them grew up in two parent households. My dad would have had my a++ if I had done something like this.
I wasn't talking about behavior. I was specifically answering a person who said that no other 1st world country has an underclass like America does. I responded by saying that our history is why. I never said it was an excuse to behave badly. I'm saying, "it is what it is". My point is that welfare didn't lead to an underclass. It was always there.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:22 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
You were missing my point. Yes, Prohibition fueled alot of violence during the 20s. Now, I want you to think about this. What was fueling street gangs back in the late 1940s into the 1950s?

What was fueling violence in Chicago's South South during the 1950s?

I watched Gangland on The History Channel. One of the most violent gangs in Chicago got started in the 1950s. Boys from the St. Charles Juvenile Correctional Facility met and formed a gang. By the early 1960s they were known for being a violent gang, especially in the Lawndale area.
Yeah but it was among themselves. No different then the mafia and street gangs in NYC.

These kids aren't in gangs. They use social media to gather together and vandalize a store.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yeah but it was among themselves. No different then the mafia and street gangs in NYC.

These kids aren't in gangs. They use social media to gather together and vandalize a store.
Well, then, if social media is the problem, then I wouldn't know what to do, besides prison and cracking skulls of those doing the robbing.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Well, then, if social media is the problem, then I wouldn't know what to do, besides prison and cracking skulls of those doing the robbing.
They are minors and know what they can get away with.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about behavior. I was specifically answering a person who said that no other 1st world country has an underclass like America does. I responded by saying that our history is why. I never said it was an excuse to behave badly. I'm saying, "it is what it is". My point is that welfare didn't lead to an underclass. It was always there.
LOL....another "white guilter". The ONLY ones who had such an excuse were the freed slaves and maybe their immediate family/generation. Those folks are long since gone but the excuse is still traded on by many blacks and catered to by those like you with the "white guilt" disease. Yes, those original blacks were taken against their will (oh...on an interesting side note - by their own countrymen/other blacks who captured and sold them into slavery) and forced here. That it's still being used as an reason/wedge and some kind of excuse as to why it should be expected or ingrained is ridiculous.

Were blacks "oppressed" for many years after slavery in the US...yes...but so also were many other ethnic groups who came here originally...the Italians, Irish, Polish, Hispanic, etc.... the difference is those groups didn't expect a handout or to claim they were owed something (apparently forever) but strived & worked themselves and their families into something better and and better standing/lifestyle.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I agree that it didn't always exist - it started before the '70's, in fact. I remember it in the '60's. But as we've both stated, it was contained to their neighborhoods. And they weren't beating people up, etc.

Now they're doing this on Michigan Avenue in Chicago on a regular basis. For those who haven't been to Chicago, Michigan Avenue is like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. A lot of upscale stores. Some of the high end jewelers have a security guard standing outside the door during their open hours.

It does start in the home with what they've learned and there seems to be no getting through to these people. Other than waiting for complete anarchy, something needs to happen.

And the unprovoked violence is a whole other issue. I'm telling you that I never thought I'd say this, but I wish everyone working or living in Chicago had a gun. If the cops can't clean the streets up, let the citizens do it.
The last time I was in Chicago, I was a little kid. I actually went through Chicago. I haven't been up there since. What I've known of Chicago are the gangs and shootings that take place up there. I have relatives who live or did live on the South Side.

And I was born in the 1980s. Alot of what I know of 1960s Chicago come from what my father told me when he visited his relatives there.

I don't know what is going on with the unprovoked violence. However, this is just my theory about Michigan Avenue. This stuff was always in the bad areas. It should never happen anywhere. However, I think this crap has spilled over. Alot of things just festered.

I agree with you that this problem starts at home. One reason I mention "look at the family". That is one reason I am talking about prevention. Criminals deserve punishment. However, very few people ever talk about prevention.

I also think about what I've read about Chicago's history. Chicago isn't St. Louis in terms of the level of violence. However, Chicago has a history of gangs, ethnic/racial tensions, violence, and other stuff going on.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They are minors and know what they can get away with.
If these kids are minors, then maybe we ought to look at the parents.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Apologies if I misunderstood the context. I agree we have always had an underclass, but I do think welfare encourages people to stay there. I can’t imagine the impact always hearing from the media and political leaders that you have no hope, that everyone is against you has. The black community needs leaders who will step up an encourage them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies