Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 AM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Seriously? Slavery ended 154 years ago. How many generations are we going to blame the "legacy of slavery" for violent, and illegal behavior by the Black community? You are tying the "underclass" caused by slavery to the violence. The reason we have a large underclass is the continuing victim, blame Whitey mentality of much of the Black community.
Slavery might have ended 154 years ago. However, once that ended, other things came, Jim Crow, systematic discrimination. Black Americans only officially got equal status alongside the rest of America in the 1960s. No, there is no excuse for stealing and killing. However, notice I wasn't talking about killing and stealing. I was talking about the creation of underclass, and that alone. The underclass was created BEFORE
any kind of welfare programs. When civil rights legislation was passed in the 60s, the Black middle class started growing. Those who could leave the inner cities did just that, leave. Those who stayed, well, the underclass keeps existing.

Either it's reading comprehension on your part, or you just didn't like what I had to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,029,135 times
Quote:
Agree. That wasn't my description, that was the Media's. However, I have read reports speculating that they were between mid teens and early twenties. Why aren't the ones at least over 18 at work? Everyone is screaming for employees there.
Why work when you just take what you need with no chance of suffering the consequences.

To me, the very least that we could possibly do, is to cut off their internet. What I mean is, that when the social media accounts are identified associated with this event, is that all accounts are frozen permanently. If they used M and D's phones they would still loose that account. Why is big business allowed to prosper from accounts that are obviously antisocial? And, more importantly, why is the privilege of using the internet not revoked for this group?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Except we were told by the Democrats that welfare, housing food stamps, medicaid, etc. and all these entitlement government programs were suppose to change all that decades ago. Instead, the problem has worsen and continue to get worse with each successive generation.
That's a whole other topic and I agree with you - but let's not get stuck in the weeds with this minutiae.

The issue is this is taking place in cities, half the time not even reported. If not for the website I linked to, some of these things wouldn't even be covered. And that site has no problem reporting the description of the perps.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well it certainly doesn't help that the government continually tells them they are an underclass that needs government help because they can't do it themselves. No better way to keep a man down then to constantly tell him he's a piece of crap and can only make himself better if government steps in to help.

Identity politics at its worst.
Well, think about this. It isn't hard to convince people "you need help" when said people have been dealing with being discriminated against and locked into positions of helplessness. If anything, Black Americans have succeed IN SPITE OF the things they have been through living in the USA. And the people telling Blacks "you're a piece of crap" are often the ones who try very hard to discriminate against Blacks or who have discriminated against them and passed laws against them in the past. It's not hard to convince someone "you need help" when things keep getting done to that person. The way I see it, Black Americans have been through stuff no other group has gone through. At least other groups had somewhat of a say in being here. Black Americans didn't even have that kind of say.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:49 AM

34,163 posts, read 18,446,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Slavery might have ended 154 years ago. However, once that ended, other things came, Jim Crow, systematic discrimination. Black Americans only officially got equal status alongside the rest of America in the 1960s. No, there is no excuse for stealing and killing. However, notice I wasn't talking about killing and stealing. I was talking about the creation of underclass, and that alone. The underclass was created BEFORE
any kind of welfare programs. When civil rights legislation was passed in the 60s, the Black middle class started growing. Those who could leave the inner cities did just that, leave. Those who stayed, well, the underclass keeps existing.

Either it's reading comprehension on your part, or you just didn't like what I had to say.
OK, let's use 1964 and the Civil Rights Act as the cut off point. OK? That's still 55 years ago. What's your excuse now? So even prior to 1964 Blacks had no opportunity here? They didn't have jobs, own homes, cars, etc?

My reading comprehension is fine, but it can't overcome your indoctrination. The illegal, violent behavior of these teens, and youths have nothing to do with slavery. Nothing. Just stop.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,474,984 times
It’s hard to buy the poor underclass bit when we have a poor underclass for every damn color and race in the US who aren’t out wilding like this. It’s black behavior, painfully and truthfully so. We need to accept this truth and deal with it, instead of trying to legislate apologism and just allowing it to continue.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, think about this. It isn't hard to convince people "you need help" when said people have been dealing with being discriminated against and locked into positions of helplessness. If anything, Black Americans have succeed IN SPITE OF the things they have been through living in the USA. And the people telling Blacks "you're a piece of crap" are often the ones who try very hard to discriminate against Blacks or who have discriminated against them and passed laws against them in the past. It's not hard to convince someone "you need help" when things keep getting done to that person. The way I see it, Black Americans have been through stuff no other group has gone through. At least other groups had somewhat of a say in being here. Black Americans didn't even have that kind of say.
That's not what this is about though. This is about people who have child upon child when they cannot feed them, raise their kids telling them they don't have to respect police and people need to respect them, etc. These people are like this because of the way they were raised. Period.

And you just know if someone was injured or killed doing this, the mother would be crying in front of the camera telling everyone how wonderful her child was.

The culture of poverty is turning into the culture of thugs - and parents are to blame.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,808,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The police should not have any difficulty catching this group. If you notice several of them were holding their phones; this was staged on the social media and it is just a matter of time until the police have video taken by the perpetrators.

Like you implied; it isn't a great thing to do to your neighborhood. Stores can close due to the damage and higher insurance rates. When your neighbors one had employment and an easy store to shop at can become history as those stores move to 'safer' neighborhoods.
I believe Baltimore has had to deal with this after the riots. Rightfully so, stores are afraid of opening up these neighborhoods.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's not what this is about though. This is about people who have child upon child when they cannot feed them, raise their kids telling them they don't have to respect police and people need to respect them, etc. These people are like this because of the way they were raised. Period.

And you just know if someone was injured or killed doing this, the mother would be crying in front of the camera telling everyone how wonderful her child was.

The culture of poverty is turning into the culture of thugs - and parents are to blame.
I was merely responding to someone else. And this came from a discussion about the large underclass in America.

My point was this. There are people who want to blame this all on welfare. Lack of respect for the police, having a bunch of kids one can't take care of, single-mother homes, this has been a problem in the ghettos for years. And there are those who want to blame it on The Great Society. The problem you and me are talking about has existed before the Great Society. Even Elvis talks about it.

Quote:
As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto (in the ghetto)
And his mama cries
'Cause if there's one thing that she don't need
It's another hungry mouth to feed
People, don't you understand
The child needs a helping hand
Or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day?
Take a look at you and me
Are we too blind to see
Do we simply turn our heads, and look the other way?
Well, the world turns
And a hungry little boy with a runny nose
Plays in the street as the cold wind blows
And his hunger burns
So he starts to roam the streets at night
And he learns how to steal, and he learns how to fight
Then one night in desperation
A young man breaks away
He buys a gun, steals a car
Tries to run, but he don't get far
And his mama cries
As a crowd gathers 'round an angry young man
Face down on the street with a gun in his hand
And as her young man dies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
Another little baby child is born
And his mama cries (in the ghetto)
(In the ghetto)
(Aah-aah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-r0bilzhU

The culture of poverty and thugs seem to go together. The culture of desperation, anger, and the attitude of "survive by any means necessary".

And I've mentioned in another post that if you want to see where a kid learns how to be a criminal, look to the family. Look to the environment that kid is in. Broken families, violence.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
OK, let's use 1964 and the Civil Rights Act as the cut off point. OK? That's still 55 years ago. What's your excuse now? So even prior to 1964 Blacks had no opportunity here? They didn't have jobs, own homes, cars, etc?

My reading comprehension is fine, but it can't overcome your indoctrination. The illegal, violent behavior of these teens, and youths have nothing to do with slavery. Nothing. Just stop.
Like I mentioned before. After that legislation passed, many Black people started getting entry into the middle class. It started getting easier. The Black middle class up to the early 1960s was much smaller than in the 1970s. There were those who got out of the underclass. Or did you not read that part of my statement?

And again, I was talking about the underclass, separate from the behavior issues. Someone wanted to know why America had such a large underclass, I answered. It wasn't an answer you liked, but an answer nonetheless. And there were behavior problems in the underclass during those times. Nowadays, Black people who have the means don't have to live around the underclass. The underclass is now more densely concentrated around one another. And it gets even more attention. The underclass was always around and there were always issues like crime and illegitimacy. However, it was out of sight, out of mind back then.

And yes, there were Black people back in those days owning cars and homes. I never said it was impossible for Blacks. The point is, it was much harder for Blacks to gain access to certain opportunities in those days compared to Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies