Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Trump's 2020 popular vote is still less than Hillary got in 2016. No chance in hell Trump will match Obama's 69 million votes.
I heard the same predictions about Trump not winning Pennsylvania, Wisky, Michigan, and the Presidency...If the Dims offer up a terrible candidate in 2020 which it looks likely they will, that 69M number is doable for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
As a FLORIDIAN I can assure you that Al Gore wasn't defeated by the Electoral College.... he was robbed by the Supreme Court !

...and stupid people who didn't know how to vote with a paper ballot.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:28 PM

662 posts, read 313,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I heard the same predictions about Trump not winning Pennsylvania, Wisky, Michigan, and the Presidency...If the Dims offer up a terrible candidate in 2020 which it looks likely they will, that 69M number is doable for Trump.
Trump voters were highly enthusiastic in 2016, and the Dems couldn't do worse than Hillary, she had more baggage and negative name recognition than all the current Dems combined. Again, I say not a chance in hell Trump hits 69 million. I will be very surprised if he gets 65 million. I think he will end up within 1% of where he did in 2016.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Trump voters were highly enthusiastic in 2016, and the Dems couldn't do worse than Hillary, she had more baggage and negative name recognition than all the current Dems combined. Again, I say not a chance in hell Trump hits 69 million. I will be very surprised if he gets 65 million. I think he will end up within 1% of where he did in 2016.
You might be right but if the Dems offer up a candidate as terrible as McCain was in 2008 (and I have little doubt they will), you might get shocked (again).

Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

pull-EEZ!

Both of the last two Pub presidents was elected after losing the vote.

IN EVERY CASE where the EC has overturned the vote, it has elected a Pub, going back to the 19th century.

You can fill in the blanks w/o any assistance.

The Electoral College IS the presidential vote.

Your vote (part of the popular vote) is for a slate of electors from your state.

That's some elementary 5th grade civics stuff you've forgotten there.

But I'm grateful for the opportunity to help you emerge from the dark cavern of misunderstanding.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
The Electoral College IS the presidential vote.

Your vote (part of the popular vote) is for a slate of electors from your state.
No it isn't.

There's no "Henry Beale, your elector for Muleshoe County" on the ballot.

Your vote is for the candidate.
Quote:
That's some elementary 5th grade civics stuff you've forgotten there.
That's an extremely obvious aspect you chose to overlook in your desperation to post something that might look like a point to those not paying attention.
Quote:
But I'm grateful for the opportunity to help you emerge from the dark cavern of misunderstanding.
Hey! You're good!

Last edited by Old Gringo; 07-12-2019 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
No it isn't.
Why, of course it is. The presidential contest might as well not even appear on the ballot for all the difference it makes. The vote taken in the Electoral College is the definitive vote that actually elects the President. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo

There's no "Henry Beale, your elector for Muleshoe County" on the ballot.

Your vote is for the candidate.
No, you're actually voting for a group of electors who, presumably, are committed to vote for the candidate you have chosen.

Are you sure you really understand how this works? More to the point...should you even be voting at all?

Because you're exhibiting a surprising degree of ignorance and confusion as to basic civics matters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo

That's an extremely obvious aspect you chose to overlook in your desperation to post something that might look like a point to those not paying attention.

Well, I tried to overlook your complete befuddlement initially, but it has evidenced itself so blatantly that there's simply no way I could possibly avoid it at this point. And that's really the only issue here, to be sure...the fact that you still subscribe to the ludicrous fiction that the popular vote elects the President and Vice-President, when it most assuredly does not.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking Bless your heart. You're trying SO hard.

Quote:
Why, of course it is. The presidential contest might as well not even appear on the ballot for all the difference it makes. The vote taken in the Electoral College is the definitive vote that actually elects the President. Period.
And that's exactly why it's headed for history's trash heap.

Not today or tomorrow, but it's going there.
Quote:
No, you're actually voting for a group of electors who, presumably, are committed to vote for the candidate you have chosen.

Are you sure you really understand how this works? More to the point...should you even be voting at all?

Because you're exhibiting a surprising degree of ignorance and confusion as to basic civics matters here.

Well, I tried to overlook your complete befuddlement initially, but it has evidenced itself so blatantly that there's simply no way I could possibly avoid it at this point. And that's really the only issue here, to be sure...the fact that you still subscribe to the ludicrous fiction that the popular vote elects the President and Vice-President, when it most assuredly does not.
All you have to do to support your silly assertion that the public votes for electors is to come up with a ballot that has electors rather than candidates printed on it.

AFTER the public makes their selection, the "rigged system" decides what to do with our votes and appoints those electors that you're so enamored with.

Let me know what else I need to clarify for you on the topic.

This should interest you.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:

You are both right and wrong.

You are right in the sense that Presidential Elections are determined by the Electoral College, but you are wrong if you think that the National Popular Vote is of no significance. There have only been 5 Presidential Elections in American History in which the winner of the Electoral College didn’t also win the popular vote. That means that in over 90% of the time, the two have gone together. No President has ever been elected and re-elected while losing the National Popular Vote both times. Only one President who lost the national popular vote was re-elected, and that was George W. Bush in 2004. He lost the national vote in 2000 by about 500,000 votes while winning Florida and the Presidency by between 500 and 600 votes. Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 by nearly 3 million. It will be interesting to see if Trump can actually win the National Popular Vote. Bush in 2004 was the last R President to win the popular vote, and the only one since Bush I in 1988. Trump will try to be the only the second Republican in the last 32 years to win the national popular vote. Historically the EC and the pop vote go together, and it’s not likely that the two will diverge for a long period of time.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-12-2019 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

And that's exactly why it's headed for history's trash heap...
"Now that's just sad, Larry."

--Dana Carvey, imitating H. Ross Perot, circa 1992

Please...now you're just flailing madly about, futilely trying to justify an erroneous notion you hold, for reasons you have yet to adequately explain.

This is all getting a tad undignified for you, OG. Most regrettable, indeed.

I think I'll leave you to continue your self-embarrassment session here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies