Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:19 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am personally glad for all the women and girls of the US that they feel empowered, but I am none-too-happy about how they ****ed up the Star Wars franchise.

There is no story arc. None. Rey is instantly good enough to fight the deadliest bad guy in the universe with a light saber, a better pilot than Solo as soon as she jumps in a ship, morally better than Luke and Han put together, etc. Why, when she has had no training? Because the force is now "female," whereas it used to be for everyone.

She has to be immediately better than everyone to show that the young lady hero is better than the tired old cowards Luke and Han, and the young buffoons and hot-shots.

It is just **** writing. Utter ****. The essence of comedy is that everyone ends the same as they began, and the essence of drama/tragedy is that the hero undergoes a story arc which changes them. Period. In the originals, we had Luke, who had all the heart and courage, but had to learn ability and self-control, and Han, who had all the ability, but had to find his heart. Even Leia developed from the heart and brains, to more or an active physical fighter.

With Rey...well...she's just really great. And yeah, it sucks, which is why the franchise is not making the money they want. As someone else put it, "she is denied the hero's journey."

So it is a small quibble, but there it is.
But I don't think that Rey not having enough challenges, makes Star Wars "anti-men" does it? I mean there are lots of action adventure movies, where the male doesn't have much of a challenge, but is smarter than everyone else.

Just look at Die Hard. McClane recovers from his ordeals pretty easily, and ever other character is dumb. Or even Rambo. So I don't think it's anti-man since male action heroes have been like Rey for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 03:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
If you want to see girl power, watch American Ninja Warrior.

Sure, they allow some women to advance with special place holders, but the women still compete on equal footing to the men.

Once in Vegas, no allowances of any type are given.

There are several women that are ultra athletes that can beat 90% of all men out there.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you want to see girl power, watch American Ninja Warrior.
There are several women that are ultra athletes that can beat 90% of all men out there.
A surprising number of men find that a very bitter pill to swallow.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:35 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I’m happy that women now have equal rights, but this whole anti men, girl power stuff is getting to be a bit much...
Only to you. It appears the women's opinion differs quite a lot, and ridicule is always a 2-way street.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Mad men

Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I’m happy that women now have equal rights, but this whole anti men, girl power stuff is getting to be a bit much...
As a husband and a father, I'm glad when women are confident and in control of their lives. We raised our daughter as such; despite being a very pretty girl, she is also a med student and well on her way. My wife is the same way.

Confident men are not intimidated by, nor do they fear, confident women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies